Taunton Members Day - pasties but no rhubarb - catering announcements!

Captain Kernow

Sorry folks, been up visiting family today.

I have established that the existing supplier in our local village can still supply the same excellent pasties as were provided last year, and in sufficient quantities. These are large and tasty, as evidenced by an earlier crack RMWeb tasting squad in January. So, all is well!

I'm satisfied that the existing local supplier's pasties have the edge on the earlier potential competition in terms of size and taste, too.

However, a bit more research might not come amiss!

Ahhhh, always good to be doubly sure, to be sure! Such devotion to duty and inspiring leadership from our Good Capt'n   :superman:

• RMweb Premium

This long period of silence from the Captain is worrying.  I hope it's not a serious case of food poisoning, brought on by eating a badly prepared and under cooked pasty! :no:

Thats what happens when you micro-wave them ,ruins the pastry .

• RMweb Gold

Well, it's just as well that all the market research is now completed, as our oven has just given up the ghost and it's replacement is probably going to cost me a couple of GW heavy freight tanks, a single unit parcels railcar and maybe a Beyer Garratt too..  :O  :(

Kernow Towers is now running on impulse microwave power only for now... :banghead:

as our oven has just given up the ghost

If you need something to tide you over 'til your new one arrives, I've got an old-but-working built-in double (fan) oven that I'm just about to take out.  We're not a million miles away from you - and it's free so you can still have your goodies (and eat hot pasties!).

My preferred method would be a tactical nuclear device.   A pseudo meat and potato pie mush masquerading as a Cornish Pasty..... :butcher:

Paul, Try this for 'warming up' yer pasties ...or getting rid of those Callington Calamities - 57 mega tonnes of pure Ruskie culinary magic  :scared:   

Sorry folks, been up visiting family today.

I have established that the existing supplier in our local village can still supply the same excellent pasties as were provided last year, and in sufficient quantities. These are large and tasty, as evidenced by an earlier crack RMWeb tasting squad in January. So, all is well!

I'm satisfied that the existing local supplier's pasties have the edge on the earlier potential competition in terms of size and taste, too.

However, a bit more research might not come amiss!

Are you sure parsnip pasties are going to be as good as traditional pasties, CK?

• RMweb Gold

If you need something to tide you over 'til your new one arrives, I've got an old-but-working built-in double (fan) oven that I'm just about to take out.  We're not a million miles away from you - and it's free so you can still have your goodies (and eat hot pasties!).

That's extremely kind of you to offer, but CTMK has already decided on the replacement and if it wasn't a Sunday, I suspect she'd have already placed the order... In the meantime, we still have a gas hob and microwave, plus the grill still works!... ;)  :)

(actually, we use the oven relatively rarely, but CTMK now reminds me that the old oven was cr*p for baking cakes, whereas a nice new one ought to be much better!..... :sungum:)

• RMweb Gold

I like it, I don't know why, but I like it!! Probably because of it's wonderful daftness! Then again, if you make enough of 'em, might be enough for a hors d'oeuvre for a full sized person?!

How will they be displayed on 'Kelly Bray?' Will a package have broken open on the platform, spilling a batch of giant pasties onto the paving slabs? Will there be some seagulls circling around above, waiting to swoop?!

7mm Pasty Making Part 2....    :crazy:

A few follow up photos of my attempt to model these examples of haute cuisine....  :banghead:

All measured and shaped by the Mk 1 eye-ball, in order to capture the subtle shape of the prototype  :dancing:

I almost hate to have to ask this, Paul... but ummm, are the 'internal details' true to prototype too?  :scratchhead:

7mm scale pasty recipe construction details.

This sub-topic within the Captain’s sensible creation of a different topic from the main “RMWeb Members Day at Taunton, 2013- full line-up announced” might appear somewhat crackers.  Yes, 7mm scale pasties are a bit bonkers, but it was a challenge.  There is a serious side.  I believe that discrete, well modelled cameos can bring a layout to life.  This example of finescale pastry making will find an eventual home on my layout “Kelly Bray”.  It was also a diversion whilst waiting for the adhesive to dry during construction of my engine shed.

I estimate that a ‘whopper’ pasty, suitable to satisfy the Captain, has dimensions of 8” long by 5” wide by 2½” thick.  Converting that to 7mm scale, plastikard 1.7mm thick seemed ideal.  So using my scale rule, I cut a number of suitable pasty blanks.

attachicon.gifP3106437.JPG

Handling such small pieces in my fingers was a problem, so I cut ‘handles’ from 1mm thick plastikard, about 3mm wide and 20mm long.

attachicon.gifP3106438.JPG

These were fixed to the ‘pasties’, using my ‘many hands’ tool to hold them in place.  The apparent levitation above the cutting mat is because they are sitting on a piece of plate glass.  Accuracy is everything!! 

attachicon.gifP3106439.JPG

The real reason is that if the joint is accidentaly flooded, the ‘pasty’ can be easily cut from the glass with a scalpel. 

attachicon.gifP3106440.JPG

Leave for at least 24 hours before attempting any shaping.

attachicon.gifP3106441.JPG

I then made a ‘shaping’ template out of 1mm plastic to define the distinctive ‘D’ shape of the genuine Cornish article.  It is slightly undersize, to allow for the 0.5mm thickness of my propelling pencil.  We don’t want oversized / misshapen pasties do we?

attachicon.gifP3106442.JPG

attachicon.gifP3106443.JPG

Part 2 will follow soon.  I will trial the accuracy of the marking template using the prototype pasty.  I will also reveal my ideas for the crimping…..

Meanwhile, I am formulating ideas for 7mm rhubarb sticks.

Pasties, rhubarb sticks!!....well why not?

'Crimping' - flattened out crimped pastry cutter perhaps....?

• RMweb Gold

Time for real ones I think - as seen fresh from the kitchen (and in the kitchen of course) of Mrs Stationmaster and true to her Cornish and Devonian ancestry of course.

attachicon.gifDSCF3036.jpg

They look mighty good Mike but are you feeding the 5000.

• RMweb Gold

They look mighty good Mike but are you feeding the 5000.

Regrettably Mrs Stationmaster cannot be tempted into mass production of these delicacies (and it would in any case create a major storage problem while developing sufficient stock to feed the usual sort of numbers who attend the Taunton event).  BTW they usually taste even better than they look.

Regrettably Mrs Stationmaster cannot be tempted into mass production of these delicacies (and it would in any case create a major storage problem while developing sufficient stock to feed the usual sort of numbers who attend the Taunton event).  BTW they usually taste even better than they look.

I bet they do. But now you're just being cruel! Waft delectable home-made pasties under our noses, then come up with a lame excuse about not being able to supply because of a 'major storage problem'? Hah! I thought Stationmasters were Lords of all they surveyed? (Pasty-land included)  He he  :king:  

S'pose we're gonna have t'a fall back on our Good Captain's 'Plan A' now... Harrumph!  :dontknow:

• RMweb Gold

I bet they do. But now you're just being cruel! Waft delectable home-made pasties under our noses, then come up with a lame excuse about not being able to supply because of a 'major storage problem'? Hah! I thought Stationmasters were Lords of all they surveyed? (Pasty-land included)  He he  :king:  

S'pose we're gonna have t'a fall back on our Good Captain's 'Plan A' now... Harrumph!  :dontknow:

Our aim is merely to follow the example of Andy's ethos for RMweb - and inspire others ;)

• RMweb Gold

S'pose we're gonna have t'a fall back on our Good Captain's 'Plan A' now... Harrumph! 

Let me assure you, Mr Copleston, and all others who may have been agonising after seeing the Stationmaster's tasty-looking pasties, that the Captain's Plan 'A' is the Plan, the only Plan, and a sound plan. CTMK and TFMP have been working on the catering arrangements and all will be well!

Archived