Taunton Members Day - pasties but no rhubarb - catering announcements!

Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

OK folks, perhaps we could try to keep the main Taunton thread free for discussion on things vaguely model-railway related, please?

All talk of pasties, pies, rhubarb and other cock and bull stuff is most cordially invited to be posted here!

Your gracious forbearance is most cordially invited in this regard...  ;)

PS. this is also now the thread for saffron cake discussions!

• RMweb Gold

If everyone brought a modular pasty you could put them together like a string of sausages!

Careful, don't give 'em ideas!...

Edible layouts are to be discussed in the same thread as layouts that can be sent through the post..... if you want a clue, look for references to anyone called 'Harrap' or 'Baron'... :lol:

• RMweb Premium

All talk of pasties, pies, rhubarb and other cock and bull stuff is most cordially invited to be posted here!

Oh, does that mean that we're getting Rhubarb Crumble for afters ?

:yahoo:

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Completely unrelated (although that's encouraged in this thread!) but my rhubarb has well and truly broken surface in the garden - I shall have to negotiate with head of crumble (Kim) . As for saffron cake - well........and we mustn't forget heavy cake.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Completely unrelated (although that's encouraged in this thread!) but my rhubarb has well and truly broken surface in the garden - I shall have to negotiate with head of crumble (Kim) . As for saffron cake - well........and we mustn't forget heavy cake.

Jerry

Mmm, very encouraging, Jerry, very encouraging news indeed!

Should I be laying in additional telecommunications links to cater for a steep increase in PM traffic between you and the Catering Department, on the run up to the event?!  ;)

• RMweb Gold

Mmm, very encouraging, Jerry, very encouraging news indeed!

Should I be laying in additional telecommunications links to cater for a steep increase in PM traffic between you and the Catering Department, on the run up to the event?!  ;)

Blimey, that'll take some negotiating! I'll let you know....

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

What topic thread do I use for the discussion on how to model pasties?  Please note that the first prototypes will be to 7mm,scale, but once the theory has been established and the drawings made  :mail:, I will try 'assembling' small ones which will be whoppers for 4mm......  

As these will be scenic 'artistic' interpretations, I am drawing the line at fully working motion... edible contents.

I think it's probably best that you retire to a darkened room and think about starting a scale model food section in an appropriate section of this forum, Paul. Certainly, if you wish to purvey model pasties at Taunton as a demo, feel free, but we'll expect you to bring some scale 50p pieces for the model electricity meter, that will be powering your 7mm scale oven... :prankster:  :crazy:  :jester:

In the meantime, if it helps you overcome your pasty addiction, feel free to continue posting on here. The men in white coats are on their way (just stopping off in Hayle for a pasty on the way, mind.... :sungum: ). Would you like them to bring you one?

Oh nooooo Jerry, now you've completely blown me away with all this temptation in Taunton of pasties (crimped pro'paar, mind), Kim's home-made rhubarb crumble and mention of yummy safron/heavy cake! 

And the Good Captain also mentioned to me yesterday summat about "pasty-flavoured" ice cream for afters... Oh lorks-a-lummy, you think he's windin' me up??  :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

Today I tested a production version of the medium sized steak pasty from a potential new supplier. It was top-crimped and supplied cold, so I had to heat it up in the work microwave, otherwise I'd have had a cold pasty for lunch, or even nothing at all.

The fact that it was top crimped, Mr Copleston, has absolutely no bearing on the final Taunton production specification, as the emporium visited has confirmed that a side-crimped, puff pastry version is indeed possible.

It may come to a further road test being required, with a small number of pre-production large, side-crimped examples being produced for testing and analysis by an elite squad of selfless DRAG individuals. The logistics of this will require careful thought, and I can assure you that I will definitely be thinking about this for some of the time over the next few days.

The pasty that was tested today was found to have a good amount of steak in it, and tasted very nice indeed. I would have eaten another one there and then, if I had not been (i) worried about my svelte figure (for which I blame certain individuals on this forum) and (ii) too mean to purchase a second one...

So, the quest continues, dear hearts.

This long period of silence from the Captain is worrying.  I hope it's not a serious case of food poisoning, brought on by eating a badly prepared and under cooked pasty! :no:

Paul ~ I like to think he is out diligently carrying out 'market research' in the interests of keeping his crew happy on the day...   ;)

• RMweb Gold

Sorry folks, been up visiting family today.

I have established that the existing supplier in our local village can still supply the same excellent pasties as were provided last year, and in sufficient quantities. These are large and tasty, as evidenced by an earlier crack RMWeb tasting squad in January. So, all is well!

I'm satisfied that the existing local supplier's pasties have the edge on the earlier potential competition in terms of size and taste, too.

However, a bit more research might not come amiss!

Archived