Bachmann announcements 2013/4

Andy Y

An E4, three new 'C's with different numbers, and the SE&CR Birdcages, WOW! What a splendid programme. My bank balance will take a bit of a bashing over the next 18 months.

They are certainly giving Hornby a bit of a run for their money, especially after the SR Push-Pull and 2Bil fiasco. Bachmann  at least are coming round to the fact that there are some people who actually model Southern Region.

Some nice wagons too (Pipe, Tube, Grain, Warflat).

An an 'N' in N, if the C also appeared in that scale I might be seduced!

And who would believe a Wickham trolley?!

Well done Bachmann!

Hornby do the Titfield Thunderbolt and now with the Wickhams trolley, Kernow Thumper and the Hornby J94 (not totally au fait with that last one) you can now do The Great St Trinians Train Robbery! Seriously, nice spread of items. Always liked the Birdcage stock after seeing some as a kid on the Bluebell. The long pipe wagon after seeing Dougie Manly doing a frantic jig as the drainage pipes moved under him whilst unloading one at Barnstaple. Various posters requested the grain wagons for East Anglia and now I will have a stowage van to go with my sorting coach. Hats off to Bachmann and with such a large number of releases it suggest there is still economic confidence in the hobby. 

At last

31-635 Class 64xx 0-6-0 Pannier Tank 6407 GWR Green £76.95

I've been waiting for one of these for ever. I think that the last Pannier I bought was £20 cheaper!

I think this will slot in nicely with the GWR Hornby offerings given the leead/slow times.

Theres plenty of time for the knowledgable types on here to ably assist Bachmann in their research.It won't surface for months yet.

Superb, the 64xx is straight on my shopping list. I just hope the "GWR green" livery is not the token postwar "G W R" format we always seem to get lumbered with. Please don't forget 1930's modellers, a "Great Western" liveried one (even shirt-button at a pinch) will be muchly appreciated. :)

The announcement does say "GWR green" and that sounds rather like a post-war version to me. Perhaps Bachmann have done their research properly and won't be offering a token pre-war livery version with all the later excresences. Mind you, that's never stopped them with the 57XX/8750 and another manufacture in another scale has recently done the same, if their early samples are anything to go by. Maybe there is a large market of folk who are either satisfied with later locos in pre-war liveries or are prepared to wield the scalpel to get it right.

Nick

Excellent spread with the Wickham, TTA's, birdcage stock jumping out for me plus the warflats at exactly the right moment for the BR layout.

Do the wagon experts know if this is the same diagram as could become a KFA with modern bogies?

No expert me, but the WW2 Warflat has a different body to the later KFA- a 'fishbelly' solebar on the former, and a straight one on the latter. It was the Warwells which were rebuilt with air-brakes and new bogies.

So Hornby is making the shunters truck, and now is Bachmann. Why is the model railway hobby this year the most difficult to choose from. I might buy the AL5 with half yellow warning panels from Rails Of Sheffield as soon as they get released.

When are the pics released?

Some good pics on

So Hornby is making the shunters truck, and now is Bachmann. Why is the model railway hobby this year the most difficult to choose from. I might buy the AL5 with half yellow warning panels from Rails Of Sheffield as soon as they get released.

When are the pics released?

or take a look at the 72 pics over on the Model Rail Magazines Facebook page.  No pics of the Mk2f's.

No expert me, but the WW2 Warflat has a different body to the later KFA- a 'fishbelly' solebar on the former, and a straight one on the latter. It was the Warwells which were rebuilt with air-brakes and new bogies.

Quite so. Both types can be found in Paul Bartlett's gallery: no commonality whasoever beyond the name. The Bachmann descriptions make it pretty clear that we're talking the WW2 variety. 

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/modawarflatpfb

That said, some of the older type survived in MoD service until quite late, though I've no idea how much later than 1980:

Thirsk 1980: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/modawarflatpfb/h4f512736#h16f258ec#

Whitemoor 1980: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/modawarflatpfb/h4f512736#h1205d3ee

Beyond those that remained with the WD/MoD plenty went to BR as flats: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brwarflatwc, and as coil carriers: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/warflatcoile

Is it my imagination or were some converted to bolsters as well?

Adam

• RMweb Gold

Assuming the Wickham trolley has scale diameter wheels, it may open up a whole new range of new possibilities for scratchbuilders and bashers. Looking forward with interest to seeing more details

And should be great for testing running reliability of layout with that short wheel base!

But the rest of the progamme looks brilliant - well balanced! Tube, Pipe and warflat super for us - although yet to determine era of the latter - and MK1 POT will make for more prototypical TPO formations.

Many thanks Bacchy!

Phil

Excellent spread with the Wickham, TTA's, birdcage stock jumping out for me plus the warflats at exactly the right moment for the BR layout.

Do the wagon experts know if this is the same diagram as could become a KFA with modern bogies?

There were only a handfull modified to run in the UK  (six I think) after their return from Germany and their sides show the remains of the extended sides that were added for continental use.

This would be a one to do for yourself by changing the bogies and grafting parts on the sides.

They never really ran in traffic before going to Marchwood in effect becoming internal users.

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium

The 20 ton tank wagon, any one seen a picture yet? Is it the 12ft 6 ins wheelbase RCH design, like the old Airfix/Dapol/Hornby model or the later 10 ft wheel base anchor mounted tanks?  I do hope it is the anchor mounted tanks.

• RMweb Gold

Slipped under the radar    37-096   Coal Traders Triple Pack – 7 Plank Wagons BR (Ex P.O) P Numbers Weathered . I reckon these will go down a storm.Something for those BR tanks to pull.

Archived