Bachmann announcements 2013/4

Andy Y

For those of us who screamed at their laptops at the obvious missed opportunity here, I opened discussion over on the Highland Baby Sulzers thread.

I thought 5094 - 5150 were 24/1.  In any case the maths is wrong because 5100 to 5150 = 51 locos.

"No Class 24/1 has been preserved."

Technically then this statement is also incorrect as both D5054 & D5061 are preserved. (I think I know what they intended to say!)

The Class 24 & 25 scenario can get complicated and I have to sit down with a good pint when captioning my images, especially when trying to work out TOPs numbers!

Hopefully we'll see a Scottish one on the next revision?? A blue D5125 will do nicely with serifed numbers and arrows on the cab doors!

Anyway, again, well done Bachmann for the new body tooling option!

I would echo all the positives about this news- the class 43 and 24/1 diesels will be winners I'm sure, and the little black steamers

and the BR wagons (now a fantastic range and selection) will reinforce their deserved reputation for meeting the enthusiast market. The Southern does well out of this too.

Strange though that there is nothing of direct interest for Scottish fans -except the 24/1 though I am not sure which subtype they will do, as they may do ones with large

side windows and tablet catcher recesses as well as the standard ones, as they do for the class 20. Expected to see at least ONE Caley or NBR steam type in the mix

somewhere, so the boys and girls in Scotland (and the North East) may not be as pleased as many of us undoubtedly are.

and I wonder if those folk at Hornby have woken up and are maybe now thinking "lets can the weathered ex virgin Mk3s guys and whip them out in ScotRail livery instead ".  that would surely feed more mouths?

this would be joined up thinking of sorts what with the 47/7s and DBSOs we will have.

This is a point I raised some time ago, and so had my doubts that Farish would revisit this livery

I completely missed 3284 being the sole Mark 2F FO, and this will make an interesting revinyl project

However, weren't there also two Mark 2 (air con) FK, in ScotRail blue stripe livery? I can't seem to find these in my records

As an aside, it would be good to see Dapol release a Mark 3A TSO and CO in ScotRail blue stipe to match this (and thus fill the gap)

Only one FK ever carried ScotRail livery : 13424 an air-braked Mk2Z from the original 1970s push-pull batch. This was withdrawn on 30 July 1987. 13596 (a Mk2D FK) is stated in Platform 5 books as being in ScotRail but as it was allocated to Old Oak Common and then Manchester Longsight this was a typo - it carried executive livery not ScotRail. Two blue and grey Mk2A FK coaches were used in the push-pulls: 13456 and 13461. The only other Mk2 coach to carry ScotRail was Mk2E TSO 5813 which was used on cross country services, it was repainted in late 1988.

Nice list, thanks Andy for posting.

With Hornbys recent announcements, availiability, reruns, limited batch production etc etc etc much discussed here, along with my ever decreasing amount of "spare money" my philosophy is to wait untill they are actually in stock (Hattons or one of the 2 "local" modelshops - none in my home town) and pop along to have a look before buying. Not in stock - no buy - simple for me.

Brit15

Yes I would agree with this sentiment. Lots of comments on this thread about hard worked wallets and anxious bank managers, but as somebody still waiting for the J11 and class 40 I wouldn't panic about bankruptcy just yet.

Christmas 2015 anybody?!

Simon

I would echo all the positives about this news- the class 43 and 24/1 diesels will be winners I'm sure, and the little black steamers

and the BR wagons (now a fantastic range and selection) will reinforce their deserved reputation for meeting the enthusiast market. The Southern does well out of this too.

Strange though that there is nothing of direct interest for Scottish fans -except the 24/1 though I am not sure which subtype they will do, as they may do ones with large

side windows and tablet catcher recesses as well as the standard ones, as they do for the class 20. Expected to see at least ONE Caley or NBR steam type in the mix

somewhere, so the boys and girls in Scotland (and the North East) may not be as pleased as many of us undoubtedly are.

There are two new D11/2 Scottish Directors. However pregroupimg Scottish prototypes (and NER) do seem to be the final frontier - yet to be reached! The G&SWR and GN of SR could be in for a very long wait but hopefully something for the CR, NBR and NER before too long and a Highland Ben!

47/7 announced to go with the DBSO.  in NSE livery.  

Again, neither of the most numerous 47 liveries announced, namely as-built body condition (tri-grille and Serck) BFYE and GSYP. 

Only one FK ever carried ScotRail livery : 13424 an air-braked Mk2Z from the original 1970s push-pull batch. This was withdrawn on 30 July 1987. 13596 (a Mk2D FK) is stated in Platform 5 books as being in ScotRail but as it was allocated to Old Oak Common and then Manchester Longsight this was a typo - it carried executive livery not ScotRail. Two blue and grey Mk2A FK coaches were used in the push-pulls: 13456 and 13461. The only other Mk2 coach to carry ScotRail was Mk2E TSO 5813 which was used on cross country services, it was repainted in late 1988.

is this only going to affect modellers of the Aberdeen PP sets?

I was a tad hasty with my previous post and only skimmed the rest of Andy's list - the Thompson's sound very nice indeed and can be used right up to 1967, there are a few colour shots scattered through Peter Gray's books showing the odd few in inter-regional trains that year in the South West, mixed in with maroon and blue / grey Mk1s and the odd maroon Hawksworth to boot.

Hadn't noticed the TPO Storage van either - wonderful news!

I've no use or 'need' for a BR Autocoach but by Jiminny I want one... ;-)

47/7 announced to go with the DBSO.  in NSE livery.  

Again, neither of the most numerous 47 liveries announced, namely as-built body condition (tri-grille and Serck) BFYE and GSYP. 

im sure youll get these versions in time.  at least I hope you do if only to keep you quiet about them!

• RMweb Gold

The 64XX/74XX discussion will no doubt deepen elsewhere but we have such detail interest as bunker side steps and long & short whistle shields to come plus when exactly did the cab to bunker join change from curve to square?

As far as the NBL 'Warship' is concerned does this mean that Swindon versions (with/without 4 character headcodes) are to be announced 'over the coming weeks' I wonder?

all in all a very positive programme from Bachmann - I wonder if they have been studying reaction to Hornby's announcements as they finalised what was going into this one because (poor old NER apart) they do seem to have been listening fairly closely to what the modeller fraternity have been asking for or talking about?

is this only going to affect modellers of the Aberdeen PP sets?

For those modelling the Mk3a sets in OO they'll just have to stick with repainting Jouef stock until someone at Hornby realises that 1) loco hauled Mk3a stock (except some of the Buffets) did not have big square plenum chambers on the roof and 2) central door locking did not happen until the contract for this conversion was awarded in 1993.

• RMweb Gold

The 64XX/74XX discussion will no doubt deepen elsewhere but we have such detail interest as bunker side steps and long & short whistle shields to come plus when exactly did the cab to bunker join change from curve to square?

I think you will need to start a thread along the 42xx/72xx types lines Mike with all the permutations etc.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent spread with the Wickham, TTA's, birdcage stock jumping out for me plus the warflats at exactly the right moment for the BR layout.

Do the wagon experts know if this is the same diagram as could become a KFA with modern bogies?

Well, I'm happy enough with this. One absolute "must purchase" (Midland 1F), and some others definitely worth considering (Stanier Mogul, tube/pipe wagons, warflats, autocoach, inspection saloon, weathered 3MT). And I'm sure I can find some justification for a Wickham Trolley Car as well :-) 

The 64XX/74XX discussion will no doubt deepen elsewhere but we have such detail interest as bunker side steps and long & short whistle shields to come plus when exactly did the cab to bunker join change from curve to square?...

The bias towards BR examples with a token one in some GW livery suggests it will be the same old story of needing to hack off the tope feed and pipes and the bunker steps if you want a pre-war version. As to the cab/bunker shape, the sentence on this in RCTS is unclear, so it's back to the prototype photos. But then, there's always a chance of a pleasant surprise when the model photos appear :O

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Treble damn and treble blast :bomb_mini:   :banghead: I've got bl**dy indigestion now!

Three Stephen Poole 64xx kits are sitting on the kits shelf. This is now the thirteenth kit build or scratchbodge that has been overtaken by proprietary items!

Nice list though. Particularly liked are the bitumen tanks. Anybody for a model of Cattewater!

Guest Tom F

As for wanting North Eastern engines, Im praying to Bachmann for another year....

Here we go again......

Dave Alexander does some lovely kits. :yes:

As I mentioned earlier, Thompson Corridor Stock is very much welcome, the LNER livery and Blood and Custard very useful. I'm sure Maroon will follow next year, but as the old Maroon in still in the catalogue, they will need to get rid of those first.

• RMweb Gold

The bias towards BR examples with a token one in some GW livery suggests it will be the same old story of needing to hack off the tope feed and pipes and the bunker steps if you want a pre-war version. As to the cab/bunker shape, the sentence on this in RCTS is unclear, so it's back to the prototype photos. But then, there's always a chance of a pleasant surprise when the model photos appear :O

Nick

Theres plenty of time for the knowledgable types on here to ably assist Bachmann in their research.It won't surface for months yet.

Bachmann should be praised for such a big, bold new range (even thought most of it probably won't be here until next year !)

Stanier mogul  :yahoo: ! I was expecting either this or a retooled manor given that I'd heard that Bachmann had laser scanned something at the SVR.

How many new wagons is that ?! :O  Still waiting for the perpetually delayed class 40 though! 

Archived