Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

On 19/07/2019 at 18:01, ThaneofFife said:

does anybody know of any deals around on new mk2f's in the UK apart from those at Hattons at £52?  looking for more now but I have enough blue/grey FOs and executive TSOs.  need some executive FOs and blue/grey TSOs. dcc fitted.  I rather think the £52 ers may be a blip.

I'm not if you have found what you wanted already, but we have some MK2F's in stock, DCC £62.50 and non DCC at £41, the prices are as low as we can go

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153501712726?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649  39-675DC  £62.50

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153516681789?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649  39-652DC 

All monies goes towards the repair of D6703/37003

Cheers

Philip

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

from the few commentators here do you think theres a market for more DCC on Board coaches such as the venerable Mk1s and the early Mk2s from Bachmann?

I'm thinking Mk1s would be very useful or as a minimum the BGs and Buffets/Restaurants so a train can be made up with the Mk2f stock.  Granted a BG is possibly the easiest of the carriages to fit your own lighting.  The other thing would be cost.  No doubt the Mk1 would face a retool to prevent light bleed etc. so it would be at least £79.99 rrp if they arrived today...….

I like the idea of having the choice and of course you never pay RRP anyway. 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, ThaneofFife said:

from the few commentators here do you think theres a market for more DCC on Board coaches such as the venerable Mk1s and the early Mk2s from Bachmann?

I'm thinking Mk1s would be very useful or as a minimum the BGs and Buffets/Restaurants so a train can be made up with the Mk2f stock.  Granted a BG is possibly the easiest of the carriages to fit your own lighting.  The other thing would be cost.  No doubt the Mk1 would face a retool to prevent light bleed etc. so it would be at least £79.99 rrp if they arrived today...….

I like the idea of having the choice and of course you never pay RRP anyway. 

I like them and I wish they would, but I don't economically think it will expand. 

Hornby did lights in their mk1’s and mk2e’s few years back, at only £10 above the non-lit versions.

These had a capacitor fitted and weren't bad for the price., c£34.50 I recall when introduced... bargain at todays rates.

sadly they didnt seen to sell, many ended up on the bargain shelves, especially blue/grey mk2 BSOs (i bought 20 for £16 a piece just to rip out the lights and put in my other Hornby mk1’s and spent the next year slowly dripping them back to ebay for £16 a piece without lights).

I have the following Hornby stock with “factory” lights*:  in Blue/Grey, Maroon, BRS Green, mk2e in Blue /Grey & Virgin, and a HST in Blue/Grey.

(* though factory fitted, they've been refitted from other cheap sourced light fitted stock, mostly b/g BSOs)

Bachmann’s  mk2fs added a substantial hike to the price, in excess of £25 difference, and do not feature a capacitor... £79.95 vs £54.95. These too have seen some big discounts.

The lighting experience isn't as good on DC, though I have both mk2f’s in Blue/Grey & Intercity, I think I will go with Hornby moving forwards... I can buy the Hornby coach (c£30) & a secondhand source (c£25) to canibalise the lights from for less than the rrp of Bachmann coach that comes without lights... Bachmanns might be nice, but not that nice.

Price has its limits for detail, and whilst you might pay out for the excellant “insert unit/loco etc of choice”, many of us have fleets of mk1’s and mortgages that would prevent massive replacements at these prices.

So an existing mk1 at £79 rrp with lights I doubt will find many takers, maybe not even a retooled one.

I did ask Simon at Hornby if they intended to do more lit coaches, but he too said price is the factor, and asked if he’d sell the packs separately he also said no as it would mean dealing with damages / returns, which I think is fair enough.

Theres oodles of lighting suppliers on ebay, when it comes to my niche stock (pre 1948 etc), those lights are often a better fit, easier to align, cheaper and work better... 

To me the Bachmann compromise is good though, no lights, but pickups prefitted.. this will be applied to my Stanier Portholes...

if someone retooled a mk1 with pickups and improved shape with an rrp under £50 it might turn heads.. but above this then Hornby one will factor in, its not as detailed but its newer and theres nothing really wrong with it, and many may just “stay put” with what they have.... ive over 100 Bachmann / Hornby (and a Rake of substantially upgraded Replica ICHX ) mk1’s, I wont be spending £5k to replace them, no matter how good they are.

Edited by adb968008

12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I like them and I wish they would, but I don't economically think it will expand. 

Hornby did lights in their mk1’s and mk2e’s few years back, at only £10 above the non-lit versions.

These had a capacitor fitted and weren't bad for the price., c£34.50 I recall when introduced... bargain at todays rates.

sadly they didnt seen to sell, many ended up on the bargain shelves, especially blue/grey mk2 BSOs (i bought 20 for £16 a piece just to rip out the lights and put in my other Hornby mk1’s and spent the next year slowly dripping them back to ebay for £16 a piece without lights).

I have the following Hornby stock with “factory” lights*:  in Blue/Grey, Maroon, BRS Green, mk2e in Blue /Grey & Virgin, and a HST in Blue/Grey.

(* though factory fitted, they've been refitted from other cheap sourced light fitted stock, mostly b/g BSOs)

Bachmann’s  mk2fs added a substantial hike to the price, in excess of £25 difference, and do not feature a capacitor... £79.95 vs £54.95. These too have seen some big discounts.

The lighting experience isn't as good on DC, though I have both mk2f’s in Blue/Grey & Intercity, I think I will go with Hornby moving forwards... I can buy the Hornby coach (c£30) & a secondhand source (c£25) to canibalise the lights from for less than the rrp of Bachmann coach that comes without lights... Bachmanns might be nice, but not that nice.

Price has its limits for detail, and whilst you might pay out for the excellant “insert unit/loco etc of choice”, many of us have fleets of mk1’s and mortgages that would prevent massive replacements at these prices.

So an existing mk1 at £79 rrp with lights I doubt will find many takers, maybe not even a retooled one.

I did ask Simon at Hornby if they intended to do more lit coaches, but he too said price is the factor, and asked if he’d sell the packs separately he also said no as it would mean dealing with damages / returns, which I think is fair enough.

Theres oodles of lighting suppliers on ebay, when it comes to my niche stock (pre 1948 etc), those lights are often a better fit, easier to align, cheaper and work better... 

To me the Bachmann compromise is good though, no lights, but pickups prefitted.. this will be applied to my Stanier Portholes...

if someone retooled a mk1 with pickups and improved shape with an rrp under £50 it might turn heads.. but above this then Hornby one will factor in, its not as detailed but its newer and theres nothing really wrong with it, and many may just “stay put” with what they have.... ive over 100 Bachmann / Hornby (and a Rake of substantially upgraded Replica ICHX ) mk1’s, I wont be spending £5k to replace them, no matter how good they are.

I think one issue with Mk1 BGs with lighting is that they'd probably need to do some re-tooling to improve the appearance of the interior. Lighting is only going to make that big, empty space more visible but I'm not convinced we'll see many improvements on the Bachmann Mk1s, they still stand up well compared to current releases and while things like adding passengers is a good idea, I dont get the impression they've flown off the shelves. I too must have around 100 Bachmann Mk1s already and I'm not in a rush to add to them when the RRPs are nudging £50 each.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Forgive me for asking as I know its likely to have been already - but how easy is it to fit a DCC chip to these to turn one that's DCC ready to DCC fitted. Just asking as if I need to take top off to add passengers, may as well fit it too.

I'm not sure, I thought the DCC decoders fitted were hard-wired so there probably isn't a socket in there. Obviously a decoder could still be fitted, but it'd need wiring in (and presumably lighting for the decoder to control?)

On 03/10/2019 at 09:59, The Black Hat said:

Forgive me for asking as I know its likely to have been already - but how easy is it to fit a DCC chip to these to turn one that's DCC ready to DCC fitted. Just asking as if I need to take top off to add passengers, may as well fit it too.

On the DCC fitted versions the decoder is a built in part of the main circuit board, to convert a non DCC version of the coach you'd require a spare Bach circuit board or a custom made lighting unit could be made up and used with a wired decoder, but cost and time wise easier to source a replacement DCC fitted coach.

Edited by tractor_37260
correct text

• 4 months later...

Quick question (to save going through 52 pages)

Do the non-DCC coaches come with interior lights/tail lights, just not DCC fitted, or is the DCC fitting and lighting all integrated?

Also how visible is the 'square' plug for the tail light when the 'blank' is fitted rather than the light?

1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

Quick question (to save going through 52 pages)

Do the non-DCC coaches come with interior lights/tail lights, just not DCC fitted, or is the DCC fitting and lighting all integrated?

Also how visible is the 'square' plug for the tail light when the 'blank' is fitted rather than the light?

On my DCC m2f the lighting is integrated so I'd expect it's just not fitted on the non-DCC version, I didn't get a great fit on the plug so may re-visit this;

101211639_2020-02-1614_20_47.jpg.2680e39fd04938851f1f3bd391b9c789.jpg.7bf5ef4490a41709d3225c29e699ce8b.jpg

I think the extra details are great though.... it's a pity Bachmann don't offer them seperately though :(

Overall I think it's a cracking coach and I'm really pleased with my example with probably only the glazing that I'd like to improve.

hope that helps

Will

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

On my DCC m2f the lighting is integrated so I'd expect it's just not fitted on the non-DCC version, I didn't get a great fit on the plug so may re-visit this;

101211639_2020-02-1614_20_47.jpg.2680e39fd04938851f1f3bd391b9c789.jpg.7bf5ef4490a41709d3225c29e699ce8b.jpg

I think the extra details are great though.... it's a pity Bachmann don't offer them seperately though :(

Overall I think it's a cracking coach and I'm really pleased with my example with probably only the glazing that I'd like to improve.

hope that helps

Will

I agree the glazing could be a bit more flush. This is one area where the Hornby version is better. Otherwise a cracking coach as you say. But I’ve never seen a corridor end as you’ve fitted on a Mk2 of any type. Rears of trains you just see the coach end doors - red for 2d and beige for 2e and 2f.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

I agree the glazing could be a bit more flush. This is one area where the Hornby version is better. Otherwise a cracking coach as you say. But I’ve never seen a corridor end as you’ve fitted on a Mk2 of any type. Rears of trains you just see the coach end doors - red for 2d and beige for 2e and 2f.

That's interesting as I had thought the colouring was class related rather than the type of coach.... but i have to admit i haven't researched this! Thanks for pointing that out as it'll make me look more closely at the ends

This is a centre coach of a rake which I fit Keen corridor connector end plates. A gap between coaches really bugs me (sad I know) and as they're sprung they give an illusion of being connected as the coach moves. Hopefully the photo below shows the effect I'm trying to achieve...

142654610_2020-02-1611_22_05.jpg.dc596e96e86072fb2e81997baaf47ecf.jpg

• Like 9

8 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

hope that helps

Will

What is the gangway cover treatment doing here?  

• 2 months later...