Bachmann announce Mk2f's

newbryford

• RMweb Gold

I see Bachmann are doing a couple of early Mk2s in Scotrail would there be run with the Dbso?

I see Bachmann are doing a couple of early Mk2s in Scotrail would there be run with the Dbso?

Yes, Aberdeen services, but of a mix-match affair with blue greys and / or intercity liveried stock, aircon / nonaircon, bg and or dbso. I believe I have a picture of some sleeping carriages mixed into 1 push pull set on one occasion, heading south, although it was on the train you couldnt go in it.

Not my pics but you get the idea..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59330122@N05/14271383218

https://www.flickr.com/photos/71592768@N08/13277366785

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

I can only assume, perhaps incorrectly, that there are licensing issues with producing DRS mk2f's.

I would have hoped to have seen them announced by Bachmann this year, Hornby's 2f's were a pleasant surprise and although both have announced Scotrail versions, neither have announced DRS. The timing would have been spot on this year.

Still plenty of other excellent produce to spend pocket money on

Yes, Aberdeen services, but of a mix-match affair with blue greys and / or intercity liveried stock, aircon / nonaircon, bg and or dbso. I believe I have a picture of some sleeping carriages mixed into 1 push pull set on one occasion, heading south, although it was on the train you couldnt go in it.

Kernow’s Bachmann 39-001U (Now sold out at Kernow but turns up at times on eBay) Twin pack Blue and Grey MK2A with Scotrail branding would go nicely with the newly announced MK2A/Z FK and TSO Scotrail livery.

Add another B&G MK 2A/Z and the DBSO to finish it off. That’s my plan. I can forget about the Oxford Mk3’s now.

Edited by 66738

• RMweb Gold

The sleeper was the ECS return of a single sleeper vehicle that ran from Glasgow to Aberdeen. It was part of the consist of the Glasgow Inverness train and was detached at Perth to run forward to Aberdeen. There was no return working hence the ECS movement. 

• RMweb Gold

Kernow’s Bachmann 39-001U (Now sold out at Kernow but turns up at times on eBay) Twin pack Blue and Grey MK2A with Scotrail branding would go nicely with the newly announced MK2A/Z FK and TSO Scotrail livery.

Add another B&G MK 2A/Z and the DBSO to finish it off. That’s my plan. I can forget about the Oxford Mk3’s now.

I have the same plan, though i’m having the Oxford mk3’s too.. the DBSO will be busy.

You can also put a scottish 47/6 (like celeb 47637 Springburn) on the front of the dbso and pull it like hauled stock too.

• RMweb Gold

You can also put a scottish 47/6 (like celeb 47637 Springburn) on the front of the dbso and pull it like hauled stock too.

47637 wasn't a 47/6, it was a standard 47/4.

The 47/6s subset were limited to the original 47601 (fitted with a trial Ruston-Paxman engine), then 47671 to 47677.  These were based at Inverness and were modified for use on Anglo-Scottish sleeper services.

Steve

I have the same plan, though i’m having the Oxford mk3’s too.. the DBSO will be busy.

Planning running the set plus a few more mk 2’s as a railtour from Scotland, as my layout is based in Northern England. Pair of 26’s with 47541 tucked inside for ETH.

26007 + 47443’s trip down the S&C to Leeds (and Tamworth Castle + 47422 in the other direction) in February ‘90 inspired the idea.

Found a picture not long ago with 47628 Sir Daniel Gooch on top of DBSO 9714, which I found very interesting.

Edited by 66738
  • Like 1

47637 wasn't a 47/6, it was a standard 47/4.

The 47/6s subset were limited to the original 47601 (fitted with a trial Ruston-Paxman engine), then 47671 to 47677.  These were based at Inverness and were modified for use on Anglo-Scottish sleeper services.

Steve

Correct - 47637 wasn't a 47/6

A small number of 47/4's had their ETH up-rated and high phosphorous brake blocks fitted for dedicated use on the Scottish Sleeper hauled services and were re-numbered as 47/6's  - 47 671 to 47 677  

Edited by tractor_37260

Please go easy on me - this is my first post to RM Web!

I have purchased a sound fitted Class 47/7 in Scotrail livery and obtained the matching DBSO (which are fantastic by the way) and expected further MK2F releases in 2019 (with DCC lighting functionality) to complete the rake of coaches in the same livery.  However, there seems to be nothing of the sort.  

Is there any reason for this?

By the way, I am not Bachmann bashing in any way, shape or form - I happen to be a very satisfied customer of theirs.  Just wondering why the omission?

Please go easy on me - this is my first post to RM Web!

I have purchased a sound fitted Class 47/7 in Scotrail livery and obtained the matching DBSO (which are fantastic by the way) and expected further MK2F releases in 2019 (with DCC lighting functionality) to complete the rake of coaches in the same livery.  However, there seems to be nothing of the sort.  

Is there any reason for this?

By the way, I am not Bachmann bashing in any way, shape or form - I happen to be a very satisfied customer of theirs.  Just wondering why the omission?

Welcome to the forum.

Most of these rakes were formed of Mk3As.

Bachmann are planning a Scotrail Mk2F TSO but have not released it yet.

I think the reason they don't release the entire rake at once may be to allow customers to build a train slowly, which many would find more affordable than buying the whole lot together.

Welcome to the forum.

Most of these rakes were formed of Mk3As.

Bachmann are planning a Scotrail Mk2F TSO but have not released it yet.

I think the reason they don't release the entire rake at once may be to allow customers to build a train slowly, which many would find more affordable than buying the whole lot together.

Is it not the current 'Spotrail' Scotrail livery rather than the 1980s Scotrail livery to go with a DBSO that Bachmann have announced?

or were you meaning the Mk2z FK and TSO which are in the 1980s Scotrail livery?

Is it not the current 'Spotrail' Scotrail livery rather than the 1980s Scotrail livery to go with a DBSO that Bachmann have announced?

or were you meaning the Mk2z FK and TSO which are in the 1980s Scotrail livery?

Thank you.

I mis-read the Mk2(z) as a 2F

Were there any 2Fs in these trains apart from the DBSO? If not, a Scotrail 2F may be incorrect anyway.

Most of the trains were formed of Mk3As

Oxford produce these but it sounds like the distributor has sold out. Retailers still seem to have some though.

Edited by Pete the Elaner

Thank you.

I mis-read the Mk2(z) as a 2F

Were there any 2Fs in these trains apart from the DBSO? If not, a Scotrail 2F may be incorrect anyway.

Most of the trains were formed of Mk3As

Oxford produce these but it sounds like the distributor has sold out. Retailers still seem to have some though.

I know there was only one 2F FO, I'm not sure about the second class TSOs off the top of my head. I think most of the air-conditioned Mk2s in push-pull sets were 2Ds and there was at least one at Polmadie in West Coast inter-regionals

A little off-topic for Mk2f but here is a summary of the Mk2 push-pull services in ScotRail livery.

All the push-pull air-con Mk2 TSOs were Mk2d. The Cross Country ScotRail liveried coach was 5813, a Mk2e. The push-pull FO stock were Mk2e, with one Mk2f FO which was officially a Mk3a replacement.

In 1985 the Mk2z stock was formed with a DBSO to work the 07.09 Dunblane - Edinburgh and subsequent workings*, this was formed 47710, 5176, 5152, 5146, 5153, 9709 on 8 July 1985. The Aberdeen rakes (apart from one there and back in the morning and another in the afternoon which were Mk3a) were BG, Mk2d TSOs, Mk2d TSOT, Mk2e FO, Mk2f DBSO for just over a year (the BGs were then removed). Rakes seen in July 1985 were as follows:

1T32 15.05 Aberdeen - Glasgow QS 6/7/85

47713, 92061, 5671, 5726, 6605, 17140, 9705

1A87 15.25 Glasgow QS - Aberdeen 7/7/85

47713, 92088, 5653, 5662, 6604, 6601, 3245, 9703

1A59 11.25 Glasgow QS - Aberdeen 9/7/85

47704, 92091, 5711, 5663, 5673, 6603, 3265, 9702

note BFK 17140 in one rake and two TSOTs in another. Those in blue were in blue and grey, all others were in ScotRail.

From October 1986 the loco hauled Edinburgh - Aberdeen trains also became push-pull so two rakes were formed 2 x Mk2d TSO, Mk2d TSOT, Mk2e FO, Mk2f DBSO with another two rakes formed Mk2z TSO, 2 x Mk2d TSO, Mk2d TSOT, Mk2e FO, Mk2f DBSO. As ScotRail also had Mk2a TSO stock at Craigentinny for the Inverness services (in blue and grey) then these also deputised as required.

To summarise you can have a complete rake of Mk2z stock with a DBSO in 1985 but by 1987 they tended to be split between rakes.

*for information

07.09 Dunblane - Edinburgh

08.36 Edinburgh - Stirling

10.05 Stirling - Edinburgh

11.25 Edinburgh - Perth

13.34 Perth - Glasgow QS

15.55 Glasgow QS - Perth

17.30 Perth - Edinburgh

Edited by Flood

If you can get hold of a copy of Rail Express Modeller's Train Formations Handbook, it might still be available in your local WH Smith's, there is a good article on ScotRail push pull trains which gives details of coach types and liveries. Some examples have mixes of ScotRail and blue/grey coaches and mk3 and mk2 coaches.

Best wishes

Roddy

Thanks Flood for your really useful post.

Sent me looking at my loco hauled 1985 booklet as I wondered why I had missed that rake when I used to go to Waverley in 1985. Then I realised I was a SO spotter, it was a SX service!

Have sent Bachmann a wee email about the position of the ScotRail branding on the proposed ScotRail TSO. I can only find photos of the branding being under the first window and not the second as they are showing or photos with no branding at all.

The images were purely illustrative mock ups for the product launch so they won't be coming like that.  Fortunately!

Thanks Bob.

Pleased to say that just over two hours from having sent my email I got a similar reassuring response from Bachmann.

Let's hope they don't come with that Blue/White lining as in the mock up photos either, it's applied too low down, the top edge of the White should be hard against the window frames/door handles, the branding position could easily be changed, not so the the lining.

https://www.flickr.c...w-bNxKJ4-XmrZSM

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/branchline-br-mk2-tso-tourist-second-open-br-scotrail-39-353/

Edited by tractor_37260

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 27/11/2018 at 07:38, Bob Reid said:

I think it's the P5 cover that's scruffy, and not the coach!.  We had the covers fitted within the months of the service launch (following driver complaints) - the Second photo, again without the cover was taken during the BR Derby / Brush trials of the two-wire control system before the service started (DBSO 9703) - RMwebber' St Enodoc will know better than I where it is - he was probably on the loco or the set at the time...

Those without the LPA boxes on the cab front that held the RCH jumpers were added (I thought, during 1980 - but I'd need to check) to be sure, to prevent the ingress of water - which had a rather nasty effect on the control signals - particularly on the 47/7's but they were added to the DBSO as a precaution) - the cables should enter from the top of the orange LPA box.

The addition of ScotRail after the original InterCity branding was a Chris Green thing - kind of like a cat marking its territory and before the rebranding / re-livery post March? 1984...

Bob, I suspect that the shot was taken on the Old Dalby test track, judging by the length of ropey bullhead track in the foreground. If so, I was indeed on the train and it was taken on 7/6/79 (Derby Day) - I ran a sweepstake amongst the crew on board. The DBSO was 9701 by the way, which was used for all the testing along with 47704.

• Like 1