Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Glenfinick, West Highland in N

Andrew P

Hi Andy

good to see some progress. Have look at some photos of the ballast, it seams to fade back to a medium brown colour.  Station buildings and box, want some drawings and photos?

Gary 

Cheers Gary, Thanks for the offer but I have built the Station Building from a Kestrel Kit but with a bit of modifications, and the Signal Box at the moment is the Liddel End one, which is the same as tha Skaledale one I have on Glen Roy and repainted blue

Re the ballast, I have some sand from a beach in Norfolk and it is so fine it looks lovely and makes the track look really good. It has dried with a slight yellow tint so will need colouring, I will post some pics tomorrow night as there is the same in Grey and then N Gauge Grey and Brown from the Peco range that looks a bit course to me as that is what I use in OO.

Andy :sungum:

WOW, just a few hours and we are onto the second page already, :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: Cheers Guys

There seems to be a lot of interest in N Gauge at the moment and with the new Dapol 26 and 27's I am not surprised, we just need that Farrish 25 as soon as possible.

• RMweb Premium

Excellent start, Andy.  Just need some pics on page 2.   :yes: :yes: :yes: :sungum:

LNester-N-WaitN

Edited by southern42

Hi Andy, I will follow this with interest and am looking forward to the next update. my modeling is on hold at the moment as we have moved to Darlington. cant wait to get going again. Keep up the good work mate.

O.K. Help now needed,

I have ballasted 4 bits of track and they are A to D left to right in each pic and I need to know your feelings as to which looks best.

A = is almost a light grey dust,

B = is Beach Sand

C = is Peco Grey N

D = is Peco Brown N

post-9335-0-11585800-1363208248_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-44816300-1363208285_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-58404300-1363208313_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-10138500-1363208349_thumb.jpg

Option E would be Peco Foam Underlay

I will be talking these samples to Nottingham on Sunday for some other opinions.

Andy

For scale, A.

C and D looks too large.

I have no opinion on colour as there are many better qualified.

Regards,

Mark

Edit, looking again A could be just a little over but B doesn't look as if there is enough definition.

Edited by Mark 37

• RMweb Gold

Hello Andy

Interesting project - like many I have a soft spot for the railways of Scotland so will be following this with interest.

As you ask about the ballast selections, I feel the two Peco ones are overscale.  The sand looks good in terms of size but would need some kind of colouring.

My own personal favourite ballast is that produced by Green Scene, which is available in a variety of shades and includes subtle variation in colour from particle to particle. http://www.green-scene.co.uk/

cheers

Ben  A.

Edited by Ben A

Hello Andy

Interesting project - like many I have a soft spot for the railways of Scotland so will be following this with interest.

As you ask about the ballast selections, I feel the two Peco ones are overscale.  The sand looks good in terms of size but would need some kind of colouring.

My own personal favourite ballast is that produced by Green Scene, which is available in a variety of shades and includes subtle variation in colour from particle to particle. http://www.green-scene.co.uk/

cheers

Ben  A.

Thanks for your input Richard, I will see if I can check out Green Scene at the Show in Nottingham on Sunday.

I also have a Green 24, 26, and waiting for the 27 and eventually the re vamped 25 later to run with Stanier and Maroon MK1's to step back in time a bit, that will give me an excuse to get a Black 5 etc .

Andy

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Mark, A is my preference too, possibly with some Grey Air Brushing

Andy

There's no contest among the options, Andy. C & D are too coarse. A looks just about right, especially if you weather it. Option B was your beach sand, which was undoubtedly the cheapest, but doesn't look as good as A.

What exactly is "A", if it's finer than N gauge grade?

Jeff

There's no contest among the options, Andy. C & D are too coarse. A looks just about right, especially if you weather it. Option B was your beach sand, which was undoubtedly the cheapest, but doesn't look as good as A.

What exactly is "A", if it's finer than N gauge grade?

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I haven't a clue where it came from but I have a BIG coffee jar full :O

Option A gets my vote, will you paint the sleepers before ballasting on the real thing?

Ray.

Evening Ray, I HAVE PAINTED THE RAIL SIDES AND SLEEPERS with Railmatch sleeper grime and weathered black. :O :o

Now you are worrying me :no:

Hi Baron Boggit, (really love that name really suits you hahaha) l think they are ALL to heavy, as l know best (haha) go and get some fine grit from the pet store (the stuff for budgie cages) and lay it down then when its all dry, airbrush the whole lot the desired colour....job done   (One bag would do the whole layout and more ?

George (Captain Knowall)

I took these photos a few weeks ago at Arrochar and Tarbet which may or not help

post-6643-0-64694800-1363216585_thumb.jpg

post-6643-0-36028900-1363216622_thumb.jpg

and last year at Garelochhead

post-6643-0-09663600-1363216695_thumb.jpg

Following your project; which I like with interest

regards Eddie

• Like 1