RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

69843, Brian and SAC Martin,

Thank you for the detailed replies to my questions.  It looks as if I can content myself with a little detail work and a simple scenic base, possibly based on the display plinth provided.  The research involved will be interesting and a complete change from my usual areas of interest. 

With my best wishes,

Gordon McLaughlin

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just picked up the Coronation issue. Very nice indeed and surprisingly the accompanying mag is good too.

The Crawley WHSmiths had box fulls of them and the Mallard first issue too.

As above, the tender is correct for Mallard in certain time frames. As preserved, a corridor tender is entirely correct and it is also correct for the speed record. Interesting but in theory you could swap the tenders on the two GBL models - 4468 and 4472 - and you'd have the appropriate tender types for the two locomotives in 1948 and at the end of their careers in the 1960s.

might have to buy an extra Flying Scotsman and swap tenders with my extra Mallard to create different members of each class

Rhys

• RMweb Gold

i've just found myself picking up issue 2 from our local co-op, even though i dont know what im planning on doing with the models at all!

strangly though they also had issue 15 of the hachette your model railway partwork on the shelf too!!

Hi Lightengine,

Thank you for your reply

Are you a trader or an individual modeler, I ask because occasionally things come up that seem to be easily available in the UK but not here, it would really be good if I could find someone that would be able to supply them(I would always pay prior to dispatch). This would not be a regular and often happening but just on the odd occasion it would be really useful. I am particularly interested in the BR(ex LMS items)

Rgds....Mike

Hi Mike I pm'd you

Picked up one of the Duchesses today - finished as 6220 Coronation in the red livery, and with a double chimney, I suspect it doesn't actually represent 6229 as she was when she was running as 6220 Coronation (had the double blast pipe been fitted before they switched identities a second time?) but it makes a nice model. Strangely enough I have an appropriate tender chassis for the tender body, I may look about getting a cheap Hornby chassis (motorised or not motorised) to make a 1948 wartime black liveried, BR numbered City of Lancaster.

The possibilities are endless. I just hope the 4472 model proves useful on a number of levels.

• Like 1

Just found these at Asda in Skelmersdale. Build quality isn't perfect, as there is some flash on the wheels and lots of fingerprints. Some-one has been very happy with the glue for the handrails and the Coronation has a big splodge of it on the side that wasn't visible in the packaging. The wheels are fixed, and the valve gear appears to be one piece plastic moulds so no means to make it roll. However for the money these are well worth having, and the magazine that comes with them is very well written.

They had lots of both models, but chose wisely as there was noticeable scuffs in the paint on some of the examples. Certainly a much better series than the build your own model railway for an exorbitant price! The Mallard will replace my Hornby model in my display cabinet, allowing the real model a chance to run on my layout without having to dig in the cabinet for it.

• Like 3

Picked up one of the Duchesses today - finished as 6220 Coronation in the red livery, and with a double chimney, I suspect it doesn't actually represent 6229 as she was when she was running as 6220 Coronation (had the double blast pipe been fitted before they switched identities a second time?) but it makes a nice model. Strangely enough I have an appropriate tender chassis for the tender body, I may look about getting a cheap Hornby chassis (motorised or not motorised) to make a 1948 wartime black liveried, BR numbered City of Lancaster.

The possibilities are endless. I just hope the 4472 model proves useful on a number of levels.

If I remember correctly, the Princess Coronations had the double blastpipe and chimney fitted in WW2 (those with single chimney/blastpipes, that is), so for the model, the double blastpipe may be inaccurate. That being said, the engines regained their identities in 1943, and 6229 was fitted with a double blastpipe in April 1943, so it might just be possible.

I have managed to get hold of second copy of Great British Locomotives. Purchased in Alton on way back cross country to Portsmouth from Middlesex!.

I was seen off as the quality of the second model was awful compared with Mallard model in first issue.

Beware, as the bad parts were not visable through the front of the clear plastic box on this second issue.

Coronation name plate not seen through front of box appeared to be covered in glue and was therefore not usable.Also on side not visable through clear plastic box was a missing injector assembly under right side of cab. The whole locomotive did not look right on getting out of box. I therefore attempted to strip model to repair right from wrongs!

Very crude fittings,with many tiny screws that seemed to serve no use.

The tender has no way of being fitted to locomotive, the connection just swings in mid air! This all held down with long screws. Locomotive doesn't even sit well on plinth.

On closer inspection there are glue marks all over this item. I couldn't solve some of the major issues and ended up going and getting another model to use for donor parts.

Amazingly the second one I purchased just round corner from here was 80% better including the colour scheme and lining. I've used the main body and second wheel set which much is more improved casting and moulding to see how this looks.

Hundred per cent improvement.The second tender has been replaced with the first one and all is now well.

My intentions for spare parts of these two items are to strip further and remove parts that may be useful on other projects and possibly sell on the streamline body parts. Tender is quite a good model on its own. Wheelsets are fit for bin and main body could be salvaged for spare running chassis.

Its all looking ok now, don't think I will be buying any more of these as I have said the quality isn't very good even at £5.99!!!

Edited by Uries15

The lining on one of the two Coronations I bought is out of alignment by the firebox (I'll try returning it, but the other one they had had glue marks and I'd rejected it for that!) and one of my A4s had one of the scoop/brake handles missing from the tender so quality control is not all that it might be. Still at the price one can't really complain.

There is apparently also going to be an LNER V2.

I'm hoping for one of the pioneer LMS diesels 10000/1.

It's the Director I am most interested in now. The GCR tender body alone would be worth £8.99 to me. I think the loco body could used for a few GCR conversions too, depends how good it is.

The tender can go behind a whole raft of LNER locos including D49 and B3/3 so for me very useful.

I got the coronation today only fault with it was the screw holding the front bogie on was missing not a problem as I had a spare screw. As someone else mentioned there is no way of connecting the loco to the tender could be sorted easily but as it is going in my display case I won't worry. 

Very nice model though.

Yes, I wonder which (wrong) RTR body will have been knocked-off to provide that. Hmm....let's see.....errm....

I's be quite pleased if the V2 they did was the Hornby-Dublo 'nearlywazza'. Meccano's design drawings did get reproduced in a book covering the history of the range.

The Nim.

There was a HD V2 produced - a friend of mine has one. Not genuine HD though, there were done in relatively recent times by a Collectors Association or similar, I forget who. Basicallly you provided a donor loco/chassis (was it the 2-6-4T?), and received back a V2, built in traditional HD style, and in a repro box.

Stewart

Right, a little something I have been working on for those stuck with GBL A4s and no idea what to do with them. A listing of all the 35 A4s, with major variations in livery and body, and tender swaps listed. This may have a few mistakes, so always cross-reference any information in it with photographs of the locomotive in question.

The locomotives are listed in build order (by works number). If anyone wants to pass this on to other forums, feel free to do so.

PDF File:A4 details.pdf

XLS File:A4 details.xls

The information was gained jointly from the Sir Nigel Gresley locomotive preservation trust website, and BR Database

• Like 2

There was a HD V2 produced - a friend of mine has one. Not genuine HD though, there were done in relatively recent times by a Collectors Association or similar, I forget who. Basicallly you provided a donor loco/chassis (was it the 2-6-4T?), and received back a V2, built in traditional HD style, and in a repro box.

Stewart

I have seen one (not mine), but they were rather pricey. There was also a 56xx. (I'm not sure why Dublo didn't proceed with their projects, though the Trix 56xx probably stalled the latter. IMHO they'd have sold better than all those diesels!)

Some interesting lots from Vectis (no connection whatsover)

http://www.vectis.co.uk/Page/ViewAuctionLots.aspx?AuctionId=44&DayNo=1&Section=663

The V2 (lot 5635) made £280, the master (lot 5636) made £280 and the 56xx (lots 5639/40) made £140 and £220.

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

Stewart

The V2 says "1938-1988 Jubilee Souvenir"

Produced long after HD ceased to exist!

Keith

Edit: correction

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

muh hah hah hah! Thought I'd join the bandwagon by emptying my local newsagent of their stock...

Earlier on, my boss came in and said 'I've bought you a present' - it was 6220, which now sits on the shelf above my desk at work :)

I have an idea for the A4 involving a wee bit of choppage but we shall see.

IMG_3330_zpse293082e.jpg

• Like 3