Great British Locomotives

EddieB

I got one DVD "preserved locos of the southern railway." 

I received a separate letter that says free DVD with your first four deliveries.

Every 4 weeks thereafter you will receive a free N gauge locomotive up to and including your 8th delivery.

You will receive a free folder every 16 issues..

Unless you're really enthusiastic about watching 75 minutes of locos chuffing past with pretty random collections of rolling stock you're not missing much. Interesting for a few minutes but it palls.

Useful as a sort-of reference for goods consists, but even then they aren't authentic. I'd have loved some film of the same classes in the wild, so to speak. 

My apologies Smiffy for once again replicating your excellent photographs in another post, but to compare the GBL tender with the Railroad Scotsman tender of the same type (this is the latest Railroad 4472 tender and not the older tender drive one).

Bear in mind the Railroad tender is based on, and effectively a simplified version of, the super detail tender in Hornby's range. Do we think the GBL one is similar in this respect? I think it's a very clever simplified copy personally.

DSC_0086_zps77c932f7.jpg

post-1656-0-77676300-1394664701.png

DSC_0088_zps8d4ea16f.jpg

post-1656-0-45247500-1394664725.png

What do we reckon?

In Terms of the decoration it's better than the Hornby one. Now without wanting to open a huge can of worms, if a model as cheap as this can have a finish so much better than the much more expensive Hornby railroad one, why can Hornby not do a better job for a couple of pounds more.

Other than that it looks very much like a copy with minor differences.

The great thing about these models as TheWeatheringMan and others have pointed out is their ability to really help others have a proper crack at the hobby, without having to risk top dollar models. Break a model? Not a problem, it's only £10. This could prove to be an excellent case of 'right place, right time' for the hobby, encouraging others to dip their toes in before diving off the deep end with a full layout and stock collection.

It's quite ironic, as the day before the A4 issue was announced as coming back out, I was looking at bidding on a Hornby A4 to turn into 10,000.

And as to those that don't want to hear about more planned ideas, I won't mention the LMS 4-6-4 streamliner, LMS princess with deflectors and double chimney, or the.....but I digress!

Fancy seeing the Bulleid 2-8-2 breaking the surface here! Well I never......

'If you build it, they will come'

• Like 1

In that earlier top-view picture of the model it looks as if the coning of the boiler may be a little wayward - a little bit like the neck of a stubby milk bottle, with the narrow end of the flare illogically placed mid-way between two boiler bands, under the front of the banjo. That might be a nuisance! On the other hand, the wide end of the flare seems to be a little way ahead of the firebox throat, so the boiler shape might have potential for a Thompson Great Northern conversion or true diag 107boiler, with suitable change of one boiler band position and possibly some new firebox plugs.

Guest spet0114

I like the black lining of the tender on the GBL model - very reminiscent of the old Trix Flying Scotsman model!

• RMweb Premium

This afternoon at 15:00 Smiffs in Brum had both part 1 (plenty back in stock since last week) and also plenty of part 2.

There were displays in at least 3 different locations in the shop so if you want one (or two or three....) look around.

Keith

• Like 1

Can I just check, did other subscribers get one or two DVDs! I only got one for the SR and was expecting two. Will give their customer help line tomorrow if I'm missing one

I got the LMS and Southern ones along with the first 3 issues.

Sadly I can't display mine well without taking them out the packaging they were sent in. I thought the case was like those on the Corgi Rail Legends but I suspect that may have put the price up.

Mine must have been slightly damaged in transit as one of the handrails on my 6220 is split, there's a rattle in my 4472 but not sure whats come off yet and Mallard seems to have had a wheel come off.But still a great set of models and the magazines and Southern DVD are good as well but not watched the LMS one yet.

Can't wait to see some peoples What ifs and ficitious livieries (BR Blue Streamlined Coronations and BR Lined Black and Blue West Countries would be good). But one question.

How many issues are there? You get a binder every 16 issues so its at least 32 and the list posted a few pages back only goes as far as 20. Space for me could become an issue but sure I'll work around that.

Edited by Dan Hill

• RMweb Premium

I received just the Southern DVD with Issues 2 and 3,

The Coronation had a small glue run fron the left hand handrail at the smokebox end, and the loco was derailed.

The Scotsman right hand Walschaert gear was not glued to the body and the tender was derailed, also the previously mentioned name plate is not good.

All minor and fixable but annoying I predict a run on Scotsman plates, it will  be interesting to see if they mold or print the GWR Number plates.

It's strange that after the three premier Known loco classes of LMS and LNER, thet they the choose the 28XX as the next Loco for GWR and not the King which is not on the known list of production so Far, even the Castle is well down the list. 

The Q

I received just the Southern DVD with Issues 2 and 3,

The Coronation had a small glue run fron the left hand handrail at the smokebox end, and the loco was derailed.

The Scotsman right hand Walschaert gear was not glued to the body and the tender was derailed, also the previously mentioned name plate is not good.

All minor and fixable but annoying I predict a run on Scotsman plates, it will  be interesting to see if they mold or print the GWR Number plates.

It's strange that after the three premier Known loco classes of LMS and LNER, thet they the choose the 28XX as the next Loco for GWR and not the King which is not on the known list of production so Far, even the Castle is well down the list. 

The Q

Glue runs are not uncommon - I've rejected a few for this. Misregistration of nameplates and the gold lining around the 'Coronation' firebox is also frequent (the lining appears to be made up of two separate transfers).

We are lucky to get any GWR model fourth. Historically they have been well down the list. (It took Trix, Dublo and Tri-ang over ten years to produce one - not including the war period and an N2 in GWR livery doesn't count.)

I trust the '28xx', 'City', '45xx'* and 'Castle' will be worth waiting for.

*Please copy the Bachmann version and not the Lima one!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

and the loco was derailed.

The Scotsman right hand Walschaert gear was not glued to the body and the tender was derailed, 

From what I could see, the wheels are too narrow for the track a lot of the time, certainly has trouble sitting on 00 track

• RMweb Gold

Am I the only one who finds this whole practice tantamount to piracy? 

CHRIS LEIGH

It certainly gives that impression.  However as folk have pointed out over the years designs etc are sometimes not very 'safe' if left in the hands of overseas factories and there is little companies can do to stop it unless it is an exact copy (and even then it's difficult to prove anything).

Hi Chris,

Whilst I agree totally with tour sentiment the regrettable aspect is that it cannot be stopped, in as far as what's happening here, as its in no way illegal.

As I'm sure you will agree this type of thing has caused some products to be withdrawn from the market in the past - I'm thinking here of things like an etched footbridge kit that was pirated as I know you will recall - such a great shame.

Best Wishes

Yes, it highlights the difference between 'illegal' and 'immoral' in this instance. As far as the piracy by a certain firm that went on in the 1980s, I would have said that WAS illegal in that it directly infringed copyright of artwork. However, it would have needed to be tested in a court of law and the only winners in those scenarios are the lawyers. I doubt that the RTR manufacturers would consider it worthwhile pursuing the matter, either, particularly as the models in question are unpowered.

CHRIS LEIGH