Great British Locomotives

EddieB

My scotsman, although it probably won't be carrying that name a huge amount longer. Still undecided as to what name it should carry, which member of the class should it become.

post-18430-0-56931700-1395390189_thumb.jpg

It will receive a full repaint into BR green (when I finally get an airbrush, hopefully within the next decade)

Rhys

Edited by WD0-6-0
  • Like 2

Guest spet0114

My scotsman, although it probably won't be carrying that name a huge amount longer. Still undecided as to what name it should carry, which member of the class should it become.

It will receive a full repaint into BR green (when I finally get an airbrush, hopefully within the next decade)

Rhys

HI Rhys,

Yes, you'll have to be reasonably careful with your choice of ID, as (from memory) there weren't that many A3s with the streamlined non-corridor tender during BR days - the majority had GNR pattern tenders.

Cheers

Adrian

HI Rhys,

Yes, you'll have to be reasonably careful with your choice of ID, as (from memory) there weren't that many A3s with the streamlined non-corridor tender during BR days - the majority had GNR pattern tenders.

Cheers

Adrian

Don't quote me before double checking, but I have a hunch that the only BR A3 with a true streamlined tender was - umm - 60103! The others were the GN coal-rail type, or the LNER non-streamlined, i.e. beaded, tenders.

The Nim.

Don't quote me before double checking, but I have a hunch that the only BR A3 with a true streamlined tender was - umm - 60103! The others were the GN coal-rail type, or the LNER non-streamlined, i.e. beaded, tenders.

The Nim.

Not quite. Coster's excellent "Book of the A3's" has 60046,60058,60068,60095 and 60103 with the A4 style tender. As there were 5 of them, no doubt they moved about. The problem is I can't find a photo of oneI behind an A3 with the 107 boiler fitted to the GBL Scotsman. For my A3,Im going to add the beading  and cut back the front of the Mallard tender to make a non-streamlined version. I've also added a Hornby A3 tender drive boiler to the GBL cab and footplate to give more options for A3's. Current favourite is 60100 Spearmint, for no better reason than I have the nameplates.

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 1

. For my A3,Im going to add the beading  and cut back the front of the Mallard tender to make a non-streamlined version. I've also added a Hornby A3 tender drive boiler to the GBL cab and footplate.

I have an early 2000s railroad Scotsman tender driven, and I had wondered about using parts from that in the conversion (boiler being one). Modifying the tender in that way is also a temptingly good idea now you mention it. Also thanks for the list of A3s so fitted with that tender

Rhys

Also I've taken several photos, comparing it to an older railroad Scotsman and a new Hornby main range A1 Royal Lancer, which I will post later when I've reduced the size to allow them to be posted. Since those photos I've also removed the 'Pizza' handrails, thin and crisp(l)y moulded. ;)

Rhys

Guest spet0114

I have an early 2000s railroad Scotsman tender driven, and I had wondered about using parts from that in the conversion (boiler being one). Modifying the tender in that way is also a temptingly good idea now you mention it. Also thanks for the list of A3s so fitted with that tender

Rhys

I think I'm right in saying that the Railroad Scotsman has always been an A1, rather than an A3. Thus, if you use the Railroad boiler, remember to add the superheater header covers, change the dome and convert it to left-hand drive. That said, there was a period in the late 40s when the A1-to-A3 conversions were all but complete and the move to left-hand drive wasn't.

It's a complex business, this A1/A10/A3 malarky, isn't it? If you want a 'simple' option - give your Scotsman back it's corridor tender, double chimney and deflectors, repaint the whole thing in BR green livery and it'll be a nice representation of the real Scotsman around 1992/3. I remember seeing her at Swanage and being blown away by the sight! :)

Cheers

Adrian

It's a complex business, this A1/A10/A3 malarky, isn't it?

It most certainly is. As for the boiler, and details, I had planned to keep the GBL smokebox and details and just use the better shape of the Scotsman boiler. As for changing 4472 to its later Preserved BR 60103 is a good idea but I would like to go for something different just to make it that little bit more difficult when it comes to making and changing models and doing some actual modelling I'm very much a novice but I don't want to settle for doing the minimum, I want to learn and increase my skills but I still think your idea is a good one. I believe (unlike a lot of people) the Scotsman in BR green actually looks quite nice

Thanks

Rhys

Edited by WD0-6-0
  • Like 2

Well three of these were sitting on the bottom shelf of my local ASDA this morning, along with a solitary A3, so I had to succumb and buy one. All the remaining A4s had been returned from whence they came, but it was really the streamlined Duchess I was after. Here are a couple of photos straight out of the packet - not bad for £5.99. Even Mrs WS didn't mind me getting one. Just the ONE though dear.....

Will look nice on my office desk.

post-6880-0-79805000-1395491648.jpg

post-6880-0-92729100-1395491673.jpg

Edited by Western Sunset
  • Like 2

Been looking for this mag, no luck 'til today, one left in Asda Wigan.

What a nice model this is, a steal for just under £9. I was thinking of using it for painting / weathering practice till I unpacked it. She looks nice on a shelf above the computer and will probably stay there "as is". I wont be buying the full series, just the odd one or two as available and what mood I'm in at the time !!. However a couple of Black 5's for £18 will be more than OK.

As regards the real 4472, well no loco is "original" after it's first major overhaul, so look forward to her steaming again soon(ish).

Brit15

• Like 1