Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Don't understand your post on this as the op clearly says that its the same company behind GBL as the other two. Surely this indicates that the continued open sale policy worked for them before so is likely to be adopted again. That's all we are concerned with here.

See also my post following my talking to our local Martins McColl manager.

Not a policy being followed across the board at WH Smiths (which is not Martin McColl, BTW). Ealing WHS and a fair few other branches (I've checked) are not stocking the GBL series at all - you have to specifically request it. Brent Cross WHS says it only stocks partworks up to issue 7 or 8 at most, then clears shelves to make way for others.

Edited by Horsetan

I spoke to my local newsagent in Chatteris. They stock most railway mags - surprising for such a small place - and I try to support the local shops when I can, as most in the small town have vanished. They said they will not be stocking on the shelf beyond Issue 5. However, arond the same time someone posted a link on this very same thread, to a website selling the models direct by post (with mags). Just have a look back up the thread to find it. As I am only interested in a small handful of the complete range, the increased price per issue/model is offset by not having to subscribe to the whole range, far cheaper method.

Stewart

Really impressed with the 4472 for a number of reasons, which I will go into full detail later this evening with some photographs. Suffice to say, it has made me do a complete rethink on the whole class A3 I had planned to build and how I intend to do it now.

The tender, separate cab, its glazing and the running plate is worth the price (but let's see if we can get them cheaper…)

• Like 1

Not stocked by any WHS in the North West / West London area, so irrelevant to me!

I got issue 1 from Ealing, the stand was to the left of the entrance. I got issue 2 from the Paradise Fields shop near Greenford yesterday.

Hi Mick,

I was wondering, as I'm not an LNER modeller or expert, and I believe you are more so, if you be able to give us the low down on the 'Scotsman' as to its faults.

I'm sure it would be very interesting and particularly useful for us types not in the know.

Hoping you might be able to oblige.

Many Thanks in anticipation.

Regards

As Simon has bit the bullet and has one i will leave it to him to go into further detail .

My observation was based on a two  minute look in a newsagent today. Comment has also been made on LNER Forum re bolier shape being incorrect.

If anyone needs spares the Tender body is worth having and perhaps the Cab. I will have another further look tomorrow.

post-1656-0-96382000-1395267231.jpg

post-1656-0-55756500-1395267252.jpg

post-1656-0-80342600-1395267279.jpg

post-1656-0-13209000-1395267243.jpg

More pics on my blog here for anyone so interested. Lots to ponder. In brief: the boiler and running plate are solid lumps and require a lot of material being removed to make a motorised model. The cab and tender, including the tender frames, and very nice and usable and I will probably end up getting a few more for just that purpose. The tender body shell is better than the Railroad one in terms of modelling potential by a long way. A simple repaint will do wonders as I hope to demonstrate later this weekend.

• Like 1

I got issue 1 from Ealing, the stand was to the left of the entrance.....

None to be had since your visit, and the staff deny all knowledge of subsequent issues. My office is seven minutes down the road, and I go into WHS daily to use the post office.

If your struggling to find the magazine and want individual models they do sell them here

http://www.amercom-hobby.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=63&sort=p.price&order=DESC

at 20 euros each

Cheers

Plus €10 postage (€20 if you're in a hurry) from Poland. They're cheaper from the UK site.

Looking through the N gauge (1:160 - don't get too excited!) models ( which may be a guide to future productions, as presumably they already have the dimensions etc.), I thought

the 'Claud Hamilton' 2-2-0* looked interesting. (There are all the 00 models to date, plus the promised 'Deltic' and 'Schools'.)

* ?? I thought, then realised they're using the Continental system of axle counting and mean 4-4-0.

• Like 1

You know, it's jibes like that at the real 4472 and the NRM that really irritate. It's on it's way to completion and when finished will be the most sorted preserved locomotive in preservation by my reckoning. They've come a long way from the mostly inherited mess in 2004. Give them a break. And give Ian Riley and the staff, volunteers or not, who've worked on her tirelessly, credit for a job that will be well done.

Regarding the model, I'm going to buy a few more for cabs and tender I think. Definitely useful.

• Like 2

What would you have the NRM do?

There is no single chimney or blast pipe in their spares - long gone, replaced pre-Waterman days.

They have to fit the double chimney and kylchap exhaust - it's all they have. This has a softer exhaust than the single chimney, so the deflectors have to go on.

It's best known in LNER apple green livery so that has to go on too, though they are dedicated to painting it BR dark green in this period of operation.

Scotsman is at its "most authentic" it has been for years under NRM ownership, at least physically. I've said it a dozen times previously but any form 4472 takes is always going to be a compromise - no LNER livery is authentic for her anyway as she is right hand drive now not left hand drive. Pegler didn't get this criticism with his "restoration" - why should the NRM?

More back seat, arm chair "enthusiasm" which has little regard for the circumstances or facts of scotsmans ownership.

• RMweb Gold

You know, it's jibes like that at the real 4472 and the NRM that really irritate.

your "scotsman jibe" irritation must be the equivalant to my "class 70s going on fire" comment irritation, the 'jokes' get a bit thin after a while!

• Like 1

You know, it's jibes like that at the real 4472 and the NRM that really irritate.....

....More back seat, arm chair "enthusiasm" which has little regard for the circumstances or facts of scotsmans ownership.

Y'know, it occurs to me that the only thing more dangerous than a prophet is his disciple, particularly when the latter thinks the former can do no wrong.....

Chavez? Maduro?  :stinker:

Of course they can Ivan - but we're talked about 4472 to death here and elsewhere. It's very in vogue to make it the butt of all jokes and frankly it's past being funny and more about making a pot shot for the sake of it.

Perhaps though you could offer up your own view rather than simply decrying mine - no? ;) would make a nice change.

None to be had since your visit, and the staff deny all knowledge of subsequent issues. My office is seven minutes down the road, and I go into WHS daily to use the post office.

WH smiths in Hammersmith had over half a dozen issue 3s today, and I see what you meant about the Ealing one, seems each store makes up its own rules

NL