Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Just glanced at the magazines in our local Asda this morning. No 'Truro' yet (not due until tomorrow anyway), but another Black 5 had appeared from somewhere.

I don't need a K3, but hopefully the 'West Country' will be worthwhile.

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

I'll keep an eye out for them at my local Asda's, they seem to be the only place still stocking them locally. Otherwise its a trip to Lakeside, not the easiest place to access from the east.

• RMweb Premium

My local newsagent didn't receive their allocation of 'Reserved Orders' this morning, but a 'phone call to their suppliers confirmed they willl arrive tomorrow.

Top marks to Naomi for customer service.

Regards,

John

Edit for clarity

Edited by Brit70053

I popped into my local Asda this morning, I got one of the 2 on the shelf.

At first glance, it looks like the rods are solid to the frame.

I'll open it when I get back from a quick visit to the club,

as I'm testing my inglenook for our open day, part of the

village day/fete, on Saturday.

Jeff

Bought CoT this morning in Sainsbury's was quite pleased by the result and a bit of paint and file work will give a good static model. The chimney has a brass band round the barrel rather than on the cap and there's an extra smokebox door handle. One of my tender steps is wonky too, but as I say, nothing that can't be sorted. I've yet to get it out of the packaging to have a more detailed look.

I don't think it is the end of the series though as the compiler of the magazine was asking me for Battle of Britain loco details a week or so ago.

Anyone having trouble, Bishop Auckland seems to have the series in both Sainsbury's and Smiths.

Edited by Sir Hadyn

Was this loco in black livery at any stage ? I thought the locos of the LNER were always painted apple green ?

Was this loco in black livery at any stage ? I thought the locos of the LNER were always painted apple green ?

Liveries of the LNER explained here

• Like 1

Thank you. It makes interesting reading, but I would've preferred the new GBL release in apple green, to make a nice variety of liveries to my ever growing collection.

I have the 2800 in black, also the Stanier 'Black 5' (in black obviously) so another loco in BLACK hasn't given me something to look forward to ?

I wonder if the series will ever get to the Bullied Pacific, and what livery that will be in ? Most probably in BR green, but fingers crossed, it may be in Southern Malachite Green ?

• Like 1

Popped into my local Chatteris newsagents just now, at least 3 City of Truro's there. (I mentioned this place a few posts back).

Am I right in thinking that the K3 is the next issue in 2 weeks? If so I need to order it with him, as he said with 10 days or so notice he will get any issue in, if he has by then stopped normal stock.

Stewart

Thank you. It makes interesting reading, but I would've preferred the new GBL release in apple green, to make a nice variety of liveries to my ever growing collection.

I have the 2800 in black, also the Stanier 'Black 5' (in black obviously) so another loco in BLACK hasn't given me something to look forward to ?

I wonder if the series will ever get to the Bullied Pacific, and what livery that will be in ? Most probably in BR green, but fingers crossed, it may be in Southern Malachite Green ?

I don't think a K3 ever wore Apple Green, but there should be more livery variety on other models down the line (pun not intended)

As to the LP, I'd love one in late BR condition with the wide cab, reduced boiler pressure and AWS box, but will probably be less than surprised if it comes out in original form in Malachite Green with High-sided tender

Edited by 69843
  • Like 1

I'm going to assume that the problem will be what I thought when I looked at the pics, that it has the rods solidly moulded onto the outside frames.

The cranks are solid but the coupling rods are separate.

First impressions:-

Strange band around the chimney (Danish style, though gold instead of red and white).

Tender brake hangers wrongly sited (and fragile - some broken on both samples in Asda).

3 smokebox darts!

Hideous lamp stuck on the tender rear.

Tender brake and water scoop handles rather difficult to use.

Undernourished buffers.

Tender painting excellent - the boiler bands less so (though the top of the firebox is not lined*).

Slight upward curve to running plate at front (both samples).

Solid backing to spokes on drivers.

Gap below axles (presumably to allow the mechanism to be removed on the Bachmann model?).

Otherwise excellent (none of these would be too difficult to remedy).

* As built it should be - the practice was dropped following an accident, but by then the frames were painted black - but I'm not sure whether this is the case when running in BR days* or in preservation (the condition of the model).

*I had the good fortune to 'cab' her, when she visited Bristol in the fifties, but it's not a detail I noticed - or could even see - why the top of GWR fireboxes weren't lined.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

I have heard that the top of the GWR fireboxes were not lined because the chief mechanical engineer had witnessed an accident that happened to someone lining the top of the firebox.

George Jackson Churchward himself! (there was also the added bonus of saving a bit of money - probably the reason BR fireboxes were not lined at all).

I'm hoping the 'West Country' will be in BR livery, as that would save me the tricky job of lining my Airfix one.

I see the magazine repeats the claim that 100mph was impossible due to lack of power on the part of GWR 'Cities'. I have read this - it states just over 90 likely, but it's not supported by publishing the maths and would require two independent timings (one by a very well respected expert) to be seriously out.

Edited by Il Grifone

You beat me to it Il Grifone!

But, out of your 11 points of criticism,

1/ agree

2/ agree

3/ my brake hangers were ok

4/ agree!

5/ agree

6/ I don't think they're meant to be working!

7/ agree

8/ agree

9/ no problem on mine

10/ agree

11/not sure what you mean, or what the problem is?

Jeff

Edited by jcm@gwr