Great British Locomotives

EddieB

In this year in which we are remembering the Great War it could be noted that some of the D11s carried names commemorating battles of that war, and Modelmaster list suitable name plates and cabside numbers (on coloured panels for BR, though I'll get Disagrees for stating that fact again, I expect) for several, including Somme, Marne, Jutland, Mons, Ypres and Zeebrugge.

Sadly no plates are available for the wonderfully named Baillie MacWheeble or Luckie Mucklebackit.

http://www.lner.info/locos/D/d11.shtml

>No Connection<

Shocking!

Oh really!  I disagree on that fact, I will not be disagreeing!

gallery_12119_2911_33298.jpg

For those who could not decode the simple message above.....

Smiffy said:

on coloured panels for BR, though I'll get Disagrees for stating that fact again, I expect
(My Bold type)

Harking back to the "dispute" about Modelmasters Transfer Crests (I never mentioned the numbers!) showing on the website illustrations as if they were printed on coloured (Blue, Green, etc.) backgrounds. i.e. the crest transfer had a coloured backing to cover that part of the model's paintwork.

I disagreed with Smiffy's assertion that the coloured backgrounds were on the transfer sheets.

In fact  the illustrations were shown with a coloured background for clarity of the crest image, and in fact the crests came on a clear background as standard.

Smiffy seems to have had a bit of a problem with being disagreed with, and the latest reference, almost 2 months after the original "spat", is "Shocking", and a sign that some people need to "loosen up".

I could not do better than to refer to this posting, which hopefully will help to explain the background better than I myself can...

Well, it's clear to me.

You stated "I think Modelmasters do decals on coloured backgrounds to save the trouble of removing the tampoed number".

Sarahagain stated, in #1866, "The Modelmasters Transfers are NOT the crest and a coloured background. They are, like most transfers, the crest on a CLEAR background. The company uses a coloured background in the advertising pictures to help you see the crest". She went on to state "Modelmasters DO produce "blanking patches" of the appropriate colour to blank out RTR numbers. The new number transfers are usually on a clear background, and are used on top of the blanking patch...".

I took your statement to mean that Modelmasters supplied decals printed directly onto patches coloured to match the loco, thus avoiding the use of blanking patches.

Sarahagain disagreed with your statement and explained why in #1866.

In #1869, you state "Perhaps you'd like to look at their range of colour blanking panels, made for expressly the purpose I described: ....", which is not what you originally stated but is, in fact, what Sarahagain explained.

No mystery there, surely?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I have tried to avoid being too "Ironic" with this reply, and apologise for taking up valuable modelling time, but I thought I would explain to those who were "Unclear", or who couldn't decipher the meaning of that message...

Does anyone know of anywhere selling GBL in Tamworth?  Lucked out on finding anywhere selling it on my lunchbreak today...

W H Smiths usually have some (not looked this week) the guy who does the Hornby stuff normally knows what is what

Regards

Edited by GreenBR

• RMweb Premium

What a chuffing shambles! I've just phoned the GBL "customer service centre" with a view to ordering two copies of the latest mag, with Butler-Henderson. They say it isn't released yet, and that issue 16 is "Locomotion and the early pioneers" with Butler Henderson not due until issue 18 which won't be released for distribution until the very end of this month. I have of course pointed out to the poor pleb on the phone that his info is total shoemenders, 16 Butler-Henderson actually being in the shops as we spoke.

I haven't ordered anything at this stage and he is going to try to get an updated list!

Is there any wonder that some people seem to get VERY long delays on orders. It's not so much a case of right hand not knowing what left hand is doing - they don't even seem to be attached to the same body.

Hi Mike,

How good is the cab roof detail please?

Mike - was the backhead detail missing in yours? I've got it in mine.

Interesting that they still think Locomotion is on the list...

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

I have a problem with being disagreed with when what I have stated is a provable fact...

Sorry Smiffy I cant agree with you on that one

Joking aside The D11 dose look nice there's something almost Noble about British 4-4-0s. I'm still hoping no almost willing for the series  to last long enough for the T9 I have such plans for that one

Harrumph.

I yearn for the T9. I think (unless the N is in sight, or if they suddenly announce an LBSC tank) I will end my subscription at that point.

The 4-4-0 thing is interesting. because we could now make quite a nice little display of them. And they've all been reasonably decent models.

What surprised me with the D11 is how big it was.

Edited by Smiffy2

Now that cab has definite possibilities. All I need to do is to get a couple of the models.....

How long will it take GBL customer services to catch up with the (dis)organisation's own website and with distribution to the shops??? (See my post above if this question puzzles you)

• Like 1

I'm hoping to get at least one example tomorrow; if not on my lunchbreak then my younger brother will be coerced into going into WHSmiths in town with instructions to pick up a good 'un...

Looking at the photos already posted, it seems that the black lining isn't present?  No matter that's what paint pens are for. 

Just an update on my hare brained scheme to utilise the d11 cast chassis....well after a couple of hours with dremel heavy duty cutting disc....razor saw...much expletetives..Wheels hacked off. That is when I had that moment of enlightenment....most of the weight in the chassis is contained in the wheels......doh........will create this chassis from an alternative source . Must remember in future my qualifications , b minus GCE "spotting the flipping obvious" and my a star in " how to ask a SFQ". Meanwhile back to my neglected Ivatt.....

One way to consider the Directors would certainly be as a Sam Fay 4-6-0 with boiler shortened to get a better ratio of boiler length to firebox size (okay, it was marginally slimmed down too), a pair of coupled wheels eliminated to free up space for a decent size of grate and depth of ashpan, and cylinder diameter reduced to take stress off the all bearings associated with the driving/crank axle. Robinson would evidently have preferred a 4-6-0 judging by the fact that the Sam Fays came first but they failed to excel. The Directors seem to have been an attempt to get as near as possible to the Sam Fay design without use of the six coupled layout that contributed to their limitations. Many loco engineers of the period struggled to equip 4-6-0s with a really good boiler unless they had the luxury of very good coal with which to fuel the loco, and fared even worse when trying to stretch a boiler to suit a Pacific. Sloping throat plates and extended combustion chambers were, I believe, then largely still in the future.

• RMweb Premium

WHSmiths in Chichester have ceased stocking this series.  :no2:

Pity as the new Director is a an absolute stunner for the money.  No interest whatsoever in the HST power car that is to follow it though I would wager.

• Like 1

The problems of adding extra driving wheels to proven 440 s isn't just limited to full size engineers. Reasonably confident can create a smooth running 040 chassis from brass ....have done so previously....however adding the extra set of driving wheels on a home made brew....adds extra variables which in my case just never seem to work. Have read many articles and books on subject...and yet...hence my reliance on the quality products of our wonderful small traders. I believe as stated it wasnt just Mr Robinson who had steaming problems with his beautiful 460s....the LNWR having same....and Mr Hughes,s dreadnought a situation not cured until a certain western gent appeared on the LMS scene.....and even then requiring some tweaks

• RMweb Premium

I found two in Basildon's other ASDA, along with issue 19 of Giant Warplanes, which I'd thought had finished.

I'll be stripping one down tomorrow.

Now I've got two ring binders to get rid of.

Edited by Nile

I have still only managed to get one director. The GCR red on the tender is done by the colour of the plastic that means it looks like errrr plastic. So I got some precision paints Great Central Railway red. I painted the red on the locomotive as well to ensure it matched the tender.

When you strip the loco down you will find the boiler backhead is a Separate fitting I took the opportunity to paint it while it was out of the locomotive. Other jobs were to remove the front buffer beam and refit it, and to add coal to the tender.

One thing to watch is the locomotive steps are separate fittings and two fell off, easy enough to glue back on.

post-5114-0-63633700-1411145022_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-09151700-1411145285_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-25870200-1411145530_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-61601600-1411145680_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

W H Smiths in Tamworth still had the 4MT 2-6-4 on the shelf today; surprisingly I then found Butler Henderson in Sainsburys.  Admittedly only the one (make that none; my hands went like lightning....) but it is mine now, mine ha ha ha....

Oh sorry, no idea how I started channeling evil laughter there....

From an initial inspection it looks to be a very nice clean, crisp model.  With a bit of work it could be superlative. 

• Like 3

Twelve directors in WH Smith Wigan when I went in today, ten when I left. A nicely painted and lettered loco, with a decent mag and a binder for under £9. The kids have claimed the binders for schoolwork so a saving there. Front bufferbeams on both mine are drooping down abit (see above) - a minor job (I hope).

One will adorn my computer unchanged, and the other will be tatified, heavily weathered & live alongside my Kitmaster Garrett in the scrapyard.

Brit15

• Like 2