Great British Locomotives

EddieB

... But I have come across the Mainline slipping axel problem on atleast half of the Mainline engines i own. That is 5 engines so far. I am currently trying to fix a J72 using epoxy resin to glue the axels together as this is an easy model to work on. The information I need is has any one been able to fix this problem...

Slightly off thread with this one, a few searches of the site on 'split axle' will turn up a lot of previous traffic. Briefly, these designs depend on plastic components in the drive line that degrade with both time and use. When these and the Bachmann follow ons with split chassis were the best thing in RTR I made them into runners as you propose; careful degrease, Araldite repair. Only a temporary halt to the fall apart syndrome I am afraid, other repairable components also fail;  if run regularly the plating vital to the pick up path wears through, and they are all used up.

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

As I have mentioned before i am only just coming back to model railways. All my engines etc have been boxed for a the last 15 years. Any way i am currently upgrading some of my stock and servicing the rest. But I have come across the Mainline slipping axel problem on atleast half of the Mainline engines i own. That is 5 engines so far. I am currently trying to fix a J72 using epoxy resin to glue the axels together as this is an easy model to work on. The information I need is has any one been able to fix this problem.

Thanks for any info.

Cypherman

See http://www.petersspares.com/?searchStr=Mainline+replacement+axle+set .

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi all,

CCtransuk/John,

Thanks for the info. I hope that the Scot/Patriot one work on the 4MT as 3 of my 4 have suffered. One last question John Are these just a pressure fit.

Cypherman

Edited by cypherman

Anyone have an A2 baseplate that they don't need?

The base plate with the rails on, I take.

What will you be using it for? I could probably let mine go, as I wanted to keep the boiler and firebox to replace a resin casting in the Crownline/PDK kit.

This sounds like H/T is talking about the frames with the wheels on.

I'm intending to mount an A2 on it! The one that came with mine was broken.

This now really sounds like the base plate with the rails on it.

post-23587-0-85796200-1439112704.jpgmy a2/2 thane of Fife 60505....just to recap mostly GBL V2...a3. And a Hornby tornado tender backdated awaiting a trip to a coaling plant. The chassis is supplied by Se finecast...the Romford wheels are from my spares temporarily fitted to ensure squareness. They will be replaced when my new ones arrive...not least the wheel rims foul one another. In the instructions supplied by se finecast they recommend if using older romfords to shave the rim of the centre drivers or use flange less ones.....motion will be a mixture of comet v2 and she finecast a2.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

CCtransuk/John,

Thanks for the info. I hope that the Scot/Patriot one work on the 4MT as 3 of my 4 have suffered. One last question John Are these just a pressure fit.

Cypherman

Cypherman,

No idea, never used them - I just know that they exist.

They are supposed to be exact reproductions of the originals, which I believe were pressure-fit.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

attachicon.gifimage.jpgmy a2/2 thane of Fife 60505....just to recap mostly GBL V2...a3. And a Hornby tornado tender backdated awaiting a trip to a coaling plant. The chassis is supplied by Se finecast...the Romford wheels are from my spares temporarily fitted to ensure squareness. They will be replaced when my new ones arrive...not least the wheel rims foul one another. In the instructions supplied by se finecast they recommend if using older romfords to shave the rim of the centre drivers or use flange less ones.....motion will be a mixture of comet v2 and she finecast a2.

I've had to reduce the flange depth in my Romford fitted to the pair of Triang chassis I used for my A2's. You get an idea of how close the wheels are in the pic on post #5722

Cheers

Shane

Here is the BR1b tender - a marriage of the Evening Star chassis, BR76xxx body, Hornby Brit wheels. Just needs coaling. I'm struggling to contact Dave Alexander to buy the Tyne Dock 9f parts, so that's as far as I can go at present.

As had a spare Hornby Brit chassis, I had a go at fitting the A2. It needs a scary amount removed from the footplate and boiler and I actually marked the boiler, I know the wheelbase is slightly out but as I already had the chassis. It is nose up, largely due to the cylinder height but I need to replace the valve gear and cylinders anyway.I 'm hoping the Tornado parts can be made to fit. If it doesn't work, it's not a tragedy.

post-1659-0-41291500-1439125522_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-93160200-1439125531_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-51520800-1439125541_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Just examining horsetans comparison pictures....it appears not an exact copy of the Bachmann...not least the minor skirt on boiler....yet not as pronounced as the other copy option. The trix....any views as to its origin?

None of the models are exact copies, because they have the GBL one-piece wheels and frames and the superstructures are modified to fit. Where the original model had separate handrails on the BBL models they are moulded, and so on. So there are always changes. That's how the copying/new tooling process works, it isn't cloning.

Just examining horsetans comparison pictures....it appears not an exact copy of the Bachmann...not least the minor skirt on boiler....yet not as pronounced as the other copy option. The trix....any views as to its origin?

Dead giveaway that it must be copied from the Bachmann is the replication of the NEM coupler pockets in completely solid non-functional form. (You might think someone on this project would have realised by now that such components can be stripped off the item to be copied before starting the process.)

Dead giveaway that it must be copied from the Bachmann is the replication of the NEM coupler pockets in completely solid non-functional form. (You might think someone on this project would have realised by now that such components can be stripped off the item to be copied before starting the process.)

They sometimes have, the Jinty came with an indent where the NEM pocket holder slots to the chassis on the original.

I now have an A2 to unload, unless I've already promised it to someone, in which case shout, otherwise it goes to the first person to PM their address for a swapsie. The swap in this case will be a set of Modelmaster nameplates.

So far so good with the A2 running on a Hornby Brit chassis. I'm still waiting for the cylinder block, but the ride height now seems o.k. The rear Cartazzi truck is a pain - it's currently only held by BluTack and still needs further cutting and filing to make a better fit. It was cut from the GBL chassis and is industrial strength whitemetal But we will persevere !!!

I seem to recall A H Peppercorn and Sugar Palm being released as single- chimney locos by Bachmann, in Apple Green.

post-1659-0-79002200-1439381043_thumb.jpg

post-1659-0-36866000-1439381059_thumb.jpg

• Like 2