Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Surprised there's not more modelling going on with these cheap body shells. Has anyone tried anything with the 4472 model as yet? I have used the 4472 tender for my A4 conversion prototype and was very pleased with that body shell, very nice when tidied up and separate handrails added.

Surprised there's not more modelling going on with these cheap body shells. Has anyone tried anything with the 4472 model as yet? I have used the 4472 tender for my A4 conversion prototype and was very pleased with that body shell, very nice when tidied up and separate handrails added.

Just waiting for extra parts to start a few A4s....and a W1

• Like 2

I'm going to start cutting into my 4472 this weekend, I might even get as far as some glueing.

The simplest modification, and no doubt the first I'll finish, will be a repaint on the Coronation.

• Like 3

A mech. is going in one of my 'Coronation's and later on the same with a 'Mallard'. (Seeing how long some other projects have been ongoing......)

• Like 3

I found the 4472 easy enough to play around with, if not as straightforward as Mallard. Having to carve a great piece from both the boiler and footplate was necessary before fitting to a Hornby A3 s/d chassis.I wanted to fit the more usual 94a boiler,so used a Hornby tender drive as the source, fitted onto the GBL footplate.It took care and filler, and I had to reinstate the saddle from filler and plasticard.Handrails on loco and tender, and some wire on the smokebox to represent pipework completed the work. Painted BR green, d/chimney without deflectors, I numbered it 60046 and could then link it to the A4 n/corridor tender which came with Mallard. The next GBL 4472 will use the 107 boiler supplied, and I hope to link to a slimmed down Hornby GNR tender if I can make a neat enough job. I must say ,as a modeller of average skills,I am getting lots of pleasure from carving up these models. The notion that we would get a perfect representation for £8.99 seems laughable to me when, for example, an A3 or A4 will cost well over £100 for a Hornby s/d version. My locos are for running, not for sitting in a cabinet, and while I want them as accurate as possible for the money, most of all I want to have fun with my hobby.

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 8

I found the 4472 easy enough to play around with, if not as straightforward as Mallard. Having to carve great piece from both the boiler and footplate was necessary before fitting to a Hornby A3 s/d chassis.I wanted to fit the more usual 94a boiler,so used a Hornby tender drive as the source, fitted onto the GBL footplate.It took care and filler, and I had to reinstate the saddle from filler and plasticard.Handrails on loco and tender, and some wire on the smokebox to represent pipework completed the work. Painted BR green, d/chimney without deflectors, I numbered it 60046 and could then link it to the n/corridor tender which came with Mallard. The next GBL 4472 will use the 107 boiler supplied, and I hope to link to a slimmed down Hornby GNR tender if I can make a neat enough job. I must say ,as a modeller of average skills,I am getting lots of pleasure from carving up these models. The notion that we would get a perfect representation for £8.99 seems laughable to me when, for example, an A3 or A4 will cost well over £100 for a Hornby s/d version. My locos are for running, not for sitting in a cabinet, and vwhilebI want them as accurate as possible for the money, most of call I want to have fun with my hobby.

This sounds a rather good conversion. Any pictures? Would love to see how you carved out the footplate in particular.

I think part 6 is the Deltic.

Think there on 4 in the shops now.

List of the first 20 taken from another forum so hopefully correct

1. Mallard

2. Coronation

3. Flying Scotsman

4. 28xx

5. Stowe 'Schools’ Class

6. ‘Deltics’ 

7. Evening Star

8. No. 44781 ‘Black Five'

9. City of Truro

10. Gresley ‘K3’

11. Bulleid ‘West Country’ unrebuilt

12. Fowler 3F ‘Jinty’

13. Collett ‘Castle’

14. No. 1000 ‘Compound'

15. BR standard ‘4MT’ tank

16. Locomotion

17. Sulzer ‘Peaks’

18. Butler Henderson

19. 45xx

20. 'T9’

Locomotion stands out as the only one not obviously a copy.

Regarding the Diesels post there was a post that listed the 1st 20 locomotives (above) which seems to be correct so far so it should be

6 Deltics

17 Sulzer "Peak"

I have also seen quoted a HST and a Western not sure of any other Diesel / Electrics and not sure when these will be out does anyone have a full list at all?

Cheers

Sorry Simon, no pictures, and as I,m currently in France, no chance of getting them. But the cuts were straightforward, just inside the splashers, back to the cab rear. The front was cut to fit the casting on the chassis block, by good old trial and error to make a tight fit. Slightly trickier was cutting the donor Hornby body, Removing the cab is easy - it's a straight cut - but removing the footplate round the splashers and especially the saddle takes care. But its not difficult and Milliput is wonderful stuff!!. Incidenttally, was it you who was narrowing GNR tenders on the other forum? Any tips. if so? I made a start before coming away, but I'm unsure if I will get away with modifying the coal rail. As a final point, I did cut the original GBL 107 boiler to check if it would clear the Hornby motor, and it did, just!

Sounds like a good conversion to me. I'm one of a few people who've slimmed down Hornby's old tender drive GNR tender. I'll try and dig it out when I'm round my parents next week and put some pics up for you. Most of my methods directly based on Graeme King's work and practice.

post-1656-0-05866800-1397162033.jpg

My first prototype, now entirely in blue. Bit of a dilemma - pre-war, it's clear the upper end of the tender above the beading is painted black, post war it becomes less clear. The roofline however is entirely correct, down to the edging for 1945-49 for the A4s. Looking forward to adding the stainless steel lettering/numerals, transfers, nameplates and buffers along with the obligatory black paint.

• Like 7

Regarding the Diesels post there was a post that listed the 1st 20 locomotives (above) which seems to be correct so far so it should be

6 Deltics

17 Sulzer "Peak"

I have also seen quoted a HST and a Western not sure of any other Diesel / Electrics and not sure when these will be out does anyone have a full list at all?

Cheers

It looks like Evening Star will follow the Schools according to their website.

Interesting yes it looks like the list is out of the window now.....

http://www.greatbritishlocomotive.co.uk/the-models/

Thanks for that, now has anyone got a correct list....

The other list doing the rounds was this one but thats out of sequence already too...

A4

LMS Coronation

LNER A3

SR Schools

GWR City

BR 9F

Locomotion

BR Deltic

LMS Black 5

GWR 28xx

SR West Country

Rocket

BR Western diesel

GWR Castle

BR 4MT 2-6-4T

SR N class

LMS Princess

LNER J39

Perhaps I should start a thread for my A4s instead of cluttering up this thread. Given it's about the GBL models I assumed it would be okay to post updates here but I am wary of clogging the thread up unnecessarily.

That being the case, I managed to get a few more bits done last night including painting the cab roof and fitting the buffers. They are Maygib buffers and I am really rather taken with them, they are of excellent quality.

post-1656-0-34754200-1397253685.jpg

post-1656-0-72595200-1397253701.jpg

• Like 7

Post man has just delivered my schools class. I'm not an expert on steam or southern locos so I will leave detailed reviews for the experts here. As far as the shape of the model goes it looks right to me but I will let others decide.

First impressions are it is a great model lots of separately fitted detail but has moulded handrails cab interior is very nice although it looks like it should have a separately fitted regulator which is missing. 

Wheels, valve gear and buffers are silver again no big deal to repaint them though.

The smokebox door was fitted the wrong way with the straps going up instead of across but it was easily eased off and refitted. 

Looks a better model than the 2800 

• RMweb Premium

Just received the 2800 and schools class when I got back from the NORWICH show. Both appeared to be intact, I notice the schools tender has not got southern on the side I'm not sure if it should but the photos in the magazine say it should.

The Q