Great British Locomotives

EddieB

I think it was a "beefed up" A1 boiler !!

Brit15

Very good. Took me a moment to get this one I must be getting slow. As for the real boiler I hope none of you are telling porkies?!

Yeah I thought its about time I left too ;)

Rhys

I said in an earlier post that the GBL base I have was awaiting painting....

Done using black, white, and brown acrylics, and a coating of silver....

gallery_12119_3189_185829.jpg

gallery_12119_3189_46531.jpg

It looks even better with the finished loco on it!

gallery_12119_3189_19599.jpg

gallery_12119_3189_3581.jpg

gallery_12119_3189_121045.jpg

Note that the fall plate still fits the gap between the Loco and Tender...

gallery_12119_3189_98913.jpg

• Like 8

I said in an earlier post that the GBL base I have was awaiting painting....

Done using black, white, and brown acrylics, and a coating of silver....

gallery_12119_3189_185829.jpg

gallery_12119_3189_46531.jpg

It looks even better with the finished loco on it!

gallery_12119_3189_19599.jpg

gallery_12119_3189_3581.jpg

gallery_12119_3189_121045.jpg

Note that the fall plate still fits the gap between the Loco and Tender...

gallery_12119_3189_98913.jpg

Looks good Sarah,  nice work.

post-1656-0-79258500-1395873972.jpg

For the Midlanders among us…correct type wheels, fixed cartazzi, tender body on Hornby tender frames (unbelievably they have identical attachment points so it's literally unscrew the crimson top and screw in to the tender frames). New valve gear, front wheel set. All the wheels will be painted black, the loco body stripped, the tender cut down and then the whole model primed before gloss black, transfers, johnson's Klear and some judicious weathering to be applied. May overtake my A4 conversion at this rate…!

post-1656-0-38415100-1395874090.jpg

• Like 10

With a nice mark up in price too plus the postage.   I think the 28XX should be the shops next Wednesday.

With a nice mark up in price too plus the postage.   I think the 28XX should be the shops next Wednesday.

These models aren't sold here so when they hit the stores in the UK and Ireland isn't of much interest.. The higher price and postage is part of the game when you live where I live. 

Who would pay that much? 

Don't think it's in the shops yet and mine has not been delivered yet. Maybe next week 

That's clearly someone who doesn't actually have the goods, but is supremely overconfident that he can get hold of sufficient stock next week to put straight into the post.

If you think the mark up on that one is high see their mallard model £12.99 and with postage still to add

Rhys

These models aren't sold here so when they hit the stores in the UK and Ireland isn't of much interest.. The higher price and postage is part of the game when you live where I live.

I am sure we can send one over

post-1656-0-27128900-1395961056.jpg

More pictures here on the blog. Valances not finished yet, need filing and a bit more cutting away at the front, however the overall effect is getting there.

Incidentally the valve gear is going to be changed for a super detail Hornby A4 set, I've decided. Very prompt decision when I remembered the bracket for the eccentric gear is moulded onto the body shell of the Railroad A4 and not part of the stamped metal components assembled into the finished valve gear.

• Like 3

Hi again,

Please forgive me all for coming back straight away but I forgot something I wanted to ask.

I'm mainly a BR Western Region and Southern Region modeller but maintain an interest in other strange lines in other parts of the country too !!.

Please may I ask - I seem to remember once seeing a magazine article on 'cutting and shutting' using A4's to produce the unique W1 4-6-4 in its later A4 lookalike form.

If my memory isn't playing tricks on me can anyone who models Mr Gresley's locos perhaps let me know if I'm right.

After 54 years active in the hobby it sometimes difficult to remember every detail of the articles I've read over the years so I could be wrong over this.

If by chance I am right I reckon the £2.99 A4 has got to offer the perfect place to start as I fancy a W1 in BR livery.

Thankyou for any advice on this.

Regards to All.

You're not wrong, I remember the article myself. It was (I think) published within the past five or six years, I think I still have it somewhere and I'll try to dig it out.

You're not wrong, I remember the article myself. It was (I think) published within the past five or six years, I think I still have it somewhere and I'll try to dig it out.

Graeme King produced that conversion first as far as I know, and it was published in BRM first I think. I myself own one of Graeme's excellent conversions, expertly converted by Graeme around six years ago from a Railroad 60022 Mallard model.

post-1656-0-34550600-1396137043.jpg

post-1656-0-35837900-1396137055.jpg

It is a stunning model and still turns heads when it gets run, though it gets out rarely at the minute as it's the wrong livery and period to the rest of my stock. Not for long I suspect...

• Like 4

https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/Articles/76-12/Locomotives/Stretching_a_streak/

Graeme also does the conversion parts for the Hornby model, which should be suitable for the GBL A4, as well as bits for the A1/1 and other models.

http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5243

Edited by 69843

W1 conversion: Not quite 5 or 6 years - BRM June 2010 using adapted Finecast parts, now possible much more easily using some dedicated resin pieces.

Simon - the top part of your W1's lubricator drive linkage has become inverted. It needs to be coaxed back down, possibly by firstly loosening the body. It may be that it "flipped" when the loco was being run upside down for some reason.

Edited by gr.king

W1 conversion: Not quite 5 or 6 years - BRM June 2010 using adapted Finecast parts, now possible much more easily using so dedicated resin pieces.

Simon - the top part of your W1's lubricator drive linkage has become inverted. It needs to be coaxed back down, possibly by firstly loosening the body. It may be that it "flipped" when the loco was being run upside down for some reason.

I'd not realised it was that long ago.

It really is a beaut.

Now done - thanks Graeme. I had the model in a loco cradle recently so it may have happened then.