Great British Locomotives

EddieB

The 28xx is out today.

However, it is very disappointing and looks like an indifferent copy of the Hornby tender drive version, (in black for some strange reason!). Even the tender is poor.

As I already have a Hornby body awaiting a chassis and several tenders in stock, I saved £8.99. I trust future issues will be better, as this falls far short of the standard to date.

I'm glad I decided against subscribing!

The 28xx is a terrible shame.  Much lower quality than the pacifics already released.  I was looking forward to buying a few as a source of boilers for a couple of conversions, but not now.  A real pity.  Poor quality phone pic below:

post-419-0-09619100-1396525849_thumb.jpg

It still looks like the Hornby model. I don't mind removing moulded/crappy details, replacing them with something better. I'm sorry but your expectations on models costing less than a tenner are beyond me.

It still looks like the Hornby model. I don't mind removing moulded/crappy details, replacing them with something better. I'm sorry but your expectations on models costing less than a tenner are beyond me.

Granted it is only £8.99 and I am sure something could be done with it. However, compared to the first three models, any of which would grace a layout (or display shelf) as they stand (a little tidying up might be needed, but nothing serious), it falls far short. As I said, I already have a Hornby body and so this, being in no way an improvement, did not interest me. (As regards price, the big Kitmaster kits cost around this price (allowing for inflation), were all better than this and weren't copies of another manufacturer's products.)

Against this, the two examples in our local Asda yesterday morning have both gone. (There were a couple of nice German half-tracks (1:72 I think) and a Marvel Super-Hero chess piece... resisted both!  :) ).

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Indeed, I'm also convinced that something can be done with it and that equals a bargain in my book. I understand that people expecting display models are disappointed.

Regards,

Stefan

Edited by knobhead

Indeed, I'm also convinced that something can be done with it and that equals a bargain in my book. I understand that people expecting display models are disappointed.

Regards,

Stefan

But the Mallard, Scotsman and Princess Coronation were so much better.  This really looks like a blown-up 1970s N Gauge model.  

Regards,

Stefan

I doubt if many people look at this model on this thread as display models. No one would be naive enough to think they would get a good model for the price.

However after the A4 and to a lesser extent the Duchess and A3 versions this is a huge disapointment. The ones I saw looked like they had been painted whilst someone was cutting their hair.  The 28xx looks like something from a albeit large xmas cracker. :jester: :jester:

I'm into butchering locomotives (GWR) and tend to see everything from that point of view. If you don't share that interest, then I can understand your frustration.

Regards,

Stefan

I doubt if many people look at this model on this thread as display models. No one would be naive enough to think they would get a good model for the price.

However after the A4 and to a lesser extent the Duchess and A3 versions this is a huge disapointment. The ones I saw looked like they had been painted whilst someone was cutting their hair.  The 28xx looks like something from a albeit large xmas cracker. :jester: :jester:

It wasn't me who brought up the display model thing, take a look at post 492.

Bad paint job on the 28xx? Who cares?

You find the model disappointing? Don' buy it.

Regards,

Stefan

• Like 1

Problem is Stefan, I'm no GWR man myself but I can see straight away that the boiler and its cone for the taper are - plain and simply - wrong and thus see the dimensional inaccuracy as a right pain for anyone who does want it to look right.

MREmag had an interesting email in yesterday about the A4s - there's a missing washout plug on the left hand side. Once seen, it can't be unseen, and now is thoroughly annoying me. I think I may have to have a rethink about the body shells - do I really want to go to the effort of slicing and sanding down 20 body shells to fit replacement washout plugs…?

…actually, at £3.99 a pop, it may still just about edge it but it is still annoying to find out.

• Like 1

Problem is Stefan, I'm no GWR man myself but I can see straight away that the boiler and its cone for the taper are - plain and simply - wrong and thus see the dimensional inaccuracy as a right pain for anyone who does want it to look right.

MREmag had an interesting email in yesterday about the A4s - there's a missing washout plug on the left hand side. Once seen, it can't be unseen, and now is thoroughly annoying me. I think I may have to have a rethink about the body shells - do I really want to go to the effort of slicing and sanding down 20 body shells to fit replacement washout plugs…?

…actually, at £3.99 a pop, it may still just about edge it but it is still annoying to find out.

I see your point. But as long as the body is made of plastic, pretty much, anything can be done to it. Plenty of folks here are not prepared to put in a lot of time to make things work. I'm not one of them.

Regards,

Stefan

• RMweb Gold

you really are obsessed by washout plugs aren't you!!

Hi again Stefan,

I'm in total agreement with your comments here.

I've not seen a bad paint job on the 28xx - in fact the finish on those I've got and seen is actually one of he best aspects of the loco being a nice semi matt finish that looks just right in my book.

And as you say if a person does find the model disappointing then no-one is compelling them to buy the thing.

Although I've said several times in my posts that I know its been a disappointment to many I personally was not disappointed as I knew what to expect.

What I've hoped to do with my rather long review is help those persons who might be looking on here for guidance prior to buying.

I had hoped that my review might prevent anyone buying the GBL version under the impression that it would be able to be turned into a good model of a 28xx.

Whilst its obvious that I personally would not contemplate trying anything with this release due to its very major dimensional errors that are next to impossible to correct (I am fortunate enough to own three of the modern Hornby versions so am well provided for in my fleet anyway) I would not criticise another modeller who might decide that with a bit of detailing these versions would satisfy them - of course the work is better done on the older Hornby version anyway as its motorised.

Whilst the major errors spoil those versions for me personally there are many modellers who would either overlook the length and detail errors or even not be aware of them. To those modellers I say go with your heart and do as you will - its your hobby to enjoy as you please and I for one would not criticise your choice.

I've always wanted the true facts to be placed openly at modellers disposal (something most magazine 'reviews' clearly fail to do) so that they can make an informed choice - I'm sure that I'm not alone in this sentiment - that is the purpose of my review offering on here.

Regards.

All I've said is that body and tender will be useful. They will be. How much modification will they need? I know when I've decided what to do. I've never stated that it will be a good model as is. I apologise if that's the impression I've given.

Regards,

Stefan

• Like 1

you really are obsessed by washout plugs aren't you!!

One of the hazards of modelling the LNER I'm afraid. Two Gresley Pacific types, four Thompson Pacific types, two Peppercorn Pacific types and between them a number of different diagrams of boilers, with variations of washout plug arrangements, dome types and boiler barrel length/shape and firebox length.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be accurate, and washout plugs are one of those many factors in getting it right.

• Like 4

Having decided to subscribe to this part work, I am looking at each release and considering what I could possibly do with them - Mallard has been cut up! The Duchess will be finished in a late British Railways livery, Flying Scotsman has been dismantled, and will be cut up - the various sections of Scotsman and Mallard will be re-assembled as a "de-streamlined" A4, and I'm looking at the posts regarding the 2800, and my first thought was to use it as a stationary boiler, but I could re-paint it into a fictional livery.

I can't wait until the Schools gets released, I wonder what it would look like with a Fowler cab and tender? :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I looked at the 2800 today. I was thinking of getting one for a shed siding filler, possibly under repair. Having seen it the best I can offer it is as a scenic item inside the shed....with the door shut.... and dirty windows. So I won't bother. I'm not very optimistic abut the Schools now.

Pete

Hi,

You are quite right not to be optimistic about the 'Schools' I regret to say.

Among other things there will be moulded on handrails on a boiler that's too fat.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this is what's going to be on offer.

Regards

If that's the case (and I have no reason to doubt), I'll stick with the pile of Kitmaster/Airfix/Dapol parts I've collected over the years with the aim of building a working Schools (one day......).

(I was regretting having bought a Lima 4575 body*, just before the partwork was announced, with the aim of trying to make something of it (reducing the height makes a big difference for a start), but if the GBL one is to the 28xx standard... Lima copy?)

* Don't worry, I only paid a £1 for it...  :)