Great British Locomotives

EddieB

That looks a lot better! though the valve gear and coupling rods need attention (copying Hornby again!).

It's hard to tell, but I might get one, if the tender sides are straight, as I need a tender for an L1*, which should be straight sided, unlike a 'Schools' **. I can then replace it with one of the Kitmaster/Airfix ones I have in stock. (More long term projects!)

* Tri-ang's tender isn't up to much, while the loco is quite reasonable.

**I believe I'm right on this, but I would be glad to hear of any evidence to the contrary.

EDIT (I realise a couple of extra posts arrived while I was posting this. I am of course refering to the 'Schools' as in 'straight out of the packaging'.

'Silver Fox', on the other hand, shows just what can be done with these bargains. :good:   (I must get on and do something with mine, more than just taking them apart!!

Edited by Il Grifone

The Schools has not arrived in Derby yet. Our local Asda still had a couple of 28xx's on the shelf.

It's due on Wednesday I believe. Our Asda had two more 28xx arrive last Wednesday - they were gone by Thursday.

Tilbury obviously has more railway enthusiasts than I thought - I went to a talk on our local railways recently and it was packed out. :yes: :good:

EDIT added "28xx" for clarity (so that it makes sense!)

Edited by Il Grifone

Here you go photos were taken after I repainted the buffers, connecting rods, valve gear and wheels all of which were a horrible silver. I have also fixed the smokebox door which had been put on wrong.

The cabsides are applicable to no.s 900 to 909 only, unfortunately. For 910 to 939, you need to change the window position and deepen the cabside cutout.

If you're putting this on a working chassis, the chimney needs replacing with something more appropriate. SEF can supply castings from their own "Schools" kit.

Tender needs to have top copings slanted inwards to match cabside slant.

Edited by Horsetan

It will be interesting to see what the diesels are that they do, I've seen one list with a Deltic and a Peak but another list with a Deltic and a Western - I (think) I have also heard a HST being mentioned.

The possibilities are mouth-watering.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see what the diesels are that they do, I've seen one list with a Deltic and a Peak but another list with a Deltic and a Western - I (think) I have also heard a HST being mentioned.

The possibilities are mouth-watering.

I am more than interested to see how the rest of the series pans out, as some of these can be made into some nice static models, scrapyard engines, or even (with some clever bodging modelling) be made into second/unpowered locomotives to allow easy double-heading, or a trailing locomotive assisting a train etc.

I still hold hope that the series will appear 'Down Under'

attachicon.gifCIMG8410_1.jpg

Home straight, just cab side and tender numerals and lettering, cab window spectacles, glazing and front coupling to sort. Then she's done!

attachicon.gifCIMG8414_1.jpg

Silver Fox looks great, but should't she tow a 1935 style streamlined corridor tender? Silver Fox spent almost all of her life with streamlined corridor tender no.5592, with a brief spell with streamlined non-corridor tender no.5642 (towed by Mallard on her record run) in 1939. I got all this info from http://www.sirnigelgresley.org.uk/tenders/tenders.html , which outlines the history of all tenders attached to the A4s, and is a great resource for finding out what tender which A4 towed at any time. I just thought you'd better know this now rather than later, before you apply her number, so it requires as little effort as possible to change her identity, or you could do as I would, and change her tender and leave her as Silver Fox. Despite her incorrectness, she is still probably the best coloured 00 A4 I've seen, certainly puts Hornby's garter blue to shame.

Yes, the tender should be the other type - as per the blog I will change tender type when I have the other tender type in stock. I've deliberately used a Hornby tender coupling (the Tornado type coupling) so that any Hornby tender can be put behind it. Standardisation at work there :) as a prototype it proves the theory anyway.

Interesting you mention the colour, on the LNER forum the general consensus is that my interpretation is totally wrong. Happy to put it out there for discussion though, after Johnsons klear and some weathering I think the full effect will be seen.

• Like 1

Interesting you mention the colour, on the LNER forum the general consensus is that my interpretation is totally wrong. Happy to put it out there for discussion though, after Johnsons klear and some weathering I think the full effect will be seen.

Whether the colour is right or not I couldn't say accurately but I really like it anyway, it's a nice blue and it would convince me. Better than hornbys I think.

Rhys

Edited by WD0-6-0

It's due on Wednesday I believe. Our Asda had two more arrive last Wednesday - they were gone by Thursday.

Tilbury obviously has more railway enthusiasts than I thought - I went to a talk on our local railways recently and it was packed out. :yes: :good:

Thanks I will look out for it. I have not purchased the last two models as I did not want a Flying Scotsman in inauthentic LNER livery with smoke deflectors, and I read so many bad reviews about the 28xx on here that I decided against that one too. I wasn't impressed by the publicity shot of the Schools so I will be interested to see how good / bad it turns out to be.

The exact shade of 'LNER Garter Blue' seems to be debatable (like early BR blue*). We have colour samples, colour photos and the contemporary Dublo model, none of which are100 % reliable. The colour desciption implies a medium blue.

http://colrd.com/color/0xff021389/?download=css

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Garter

(The colour in the second link varies somewhat!)

* supposedly 'Prussian Blue', but known for variability.

(I always use a tin of Humbrol from way back...)

Edited by Il Grifone

Got my 28xx at ASDA in Bolton, which had loads. No sign of the Schools. The wheels and motion will get a repaint - far too silver - and I had to adjust and reglue the chimney cap as it didn't sit right. But otherwise a nice model. Interestingly, it doesn't short out the track when placed on it, so could be used as a plinthed loco on display, like the one that was at Moor Street. 

• Like 1

My subscription arrived today. The 28xx is passable, but not fantastic. I was much more taken with the Schools. I can't comment on the accuracy of the model as Southern isn't really my area of expertise, but the decoration is excellent. Very fine lining in yellow and black, separately and neatly picked out pipe work and the nameplates and lettering are perfectly acceptable. I know there are economies of scale, but it makes you wonder how they do it for the price considering how good they are compared with the cost of even Hornby Railroad. I certainly can't find £90 for even a basicHornby A4 and all my stock is second hand at the moment so when the appropriate models appear I'm going to pick up extras to convert to running order.

• Like 4

The website quotes 20€ for the A4 and 'Coronation (around £16), but elsewhere I have seen 'list price plus 50p' (on the backing card IIRC).

They are available on eBay - at a premium! :O

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Great-British-Locomotives-Collection-Issue-3-Flying-Scotsman-Model-Train-00-/131165162496?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item1e8a0d8c00

Edited by Il Grifone

Well, that seals it.

Two are now on my 'hit list' to turn into Cheltenham and Repton (with larger tender raves) respectively.

Thanks again TheWeatheringMan for taking the time to post this thorough evaluation.

Actually, just to add to the review, an interesting thing I noticed on darrel's photo of 928 (interesting choice, due to the cab type) is the cab is lined out for the larger cutout, despite having the smaller type.

Onward the 9F, Jinty and Light Pacific! (and the rest!)

...On to the loco:

As with the tender the model is well finished but does have a couple of construction issues.

On several of mine the cab is not fitted properly to the footplate, showing a gap of between 1 and 1.5 mm at the rear lower edge - again this does vary between example so I'd advise looking at this before purchase.

The cab is well detailed and is fitted with good close fitting windows, although the windows do show a small amount of 'prismatic' effect at the edges - nothing to worry about though.....

It should be pointed out that the cabsides are only correct for the first ten engines: 900-909.

Cabside window positions and cutouts were different for the rest (910-939). I suppose you could rob a Dapol "Schools" kit for its cabsides (which are generally correct for 910-939), or buy cast sides from SE Finecast.

Kit chassis: you have two main options - SEF (the all-singing, all-dancing one from their "Schools" kit) or Comet.

Edited by Horsetan

Well that sounds very encouraging news.I had doubted the quality of the Schools from the publicity photographs in issue 1 but it sounds like my fears were unfounded. I look forward to seeing one in the flesh so to speak.I may well have to purchase two as I would like to make one into a model of "Repton".