Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Is there any hint of the D11 yet? I note the Deltic is forthcoming. Looks surprisingly good. Worth a punt for anyone who wants to build done half decent deltics on the cheap?

Honestly, seeing a GBL D11 would make my year. So much that can be done with that GCR tender.

Schools class Stowe together with its little brother Repton. I bought my Stowe from W.H. Smiths at Swanage this morning using the self service till. The assistant told me that they had sold very well although there are about four left. She told me to press the "I have brought my own bag" button as they did not have a bag big enough.

Although the Schools class did not run on the Swanage Railway that I am modelling I have already got an Airfix kit built Schools and several Hornby ones. I used to live at Orpington where I often saw Schools locomotives. I used to record their numbers in a notebook. Before the Hornby model came out members of the Orpington and District Model Railway Club used to motorise Airfix kits using a Kemilway chassis kit or build Wills kits. It was a pity that the Airfix ready to run Schools never came out. Airfix had problems with production delays like Hornby have now. The decision not to produce the Schools had nothing to do with the introduction of the Hornby model because the Airfix model was going to be much more accurate than the Hornby model and would have appealed to a different market.

post-17621-0-07591900-1398346360_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

With the amount of comment we are getting for each loco as it comes out / Before it comes out could we be in for a record thread length?

I am just wondering if you put a Great British Locomotive in a display case with some ready to run 00 gauge locomotives whether anyone would be able to identify the ready to run locomotives. The Great British Locomotive Schools class probably looks better than the Hornby tender drive version. For collectors who never run their locomotives but just keep them in their boxes or in a display case they may be better off with some of the Great British Locomotives. Certainly the Great British Locomotives Schools class looks a lot better than my attempt at building the Airfix kit and is probably cheaper taking inflation into account.

When I lived in Orpington the estate I lived in had roads named after schools so I have a special fondness for the Schools class. At the primary school was an illustrated book of locomotives and I knew the names of the Schools class locomotives before I learnt my tables. I lived at 45 Malvern Road but other nearby roads included Charterhouse Road, Eton Road, Repton Road and Winchester Road. There was a secondary modern school at Charterhouse Road and every parent did their utmost to prevent their children from ending up there. I was repeatedly warned by my parents, grandparents and teachers that if I continued to get distracted by railways I would go to Charterhouse School and end up doing some menial job. 

Hi,

If you bought it from a retailer you need to take it back to the same retailer as its covered by the Sale of Goods Act and would be deemed as 'not fit for purpose' if not a correctly complete model as you have every right to expect. The retailer is responsible under the Act not the manufacturer.

If its a subs copy direct from GBL then of course the responsibility lies with them as they are then the retailer.

GBL should be able to replace faulty subs copies as the models are also sold though their website so they must hold stock.

Hope this helps.

Regards

I'm thinking that's the case, but I'll end up having to pay return postage, and that means it isn't worth the bother - as it was a loco I didn't want all that much anyway and it owes me £8. I think I'll just break it down for spare parts.

It's a pretty awful example, though, and if any of the Southern locos are like that they'll be going back.