Great British Locomotives

EddieB

• RMweb Premium

I found two schools in ASDA this morning, one of them is now partially dismantled on my bench. Here are some photos for fellow bodgers.

post-6821-0-06044200-1397908793_thumb.jpg

post-6821-0-69897800-1397908826_thumb.jpg

The boiler and cab are separate parts glued to the chassis, I'll leave them put for now. The smokebox door has a key-way on its back, but its fit isn't good enough to prevent it being fitted in any of 4 ways.

• Like 3

Thanks for that. It worked with a fine screwdriver, so now it's in the correct orientation. I can't believe it though - I searched carefully good quality examples but missed the fact that my Schools one and the A3 have a missing buffer each. I'm going to have to buy another for the spares.  Really stupid mistake!

Excellent glad it worked for you 

• RMweb Premium

Please can anyone clarify a point about the GBL Schools Model for me ?

On the GBL version there are 2 noticable protrusions either side of the smokebox behind the chimney.

I have 2 recent Hornby 'premium range' versions of this loco in BR black and green liveries, plus an older tender drive version, also in BR Green.

None of these models have these features.

Noting that the GBL model is in Southern livery, I wondered if these items were present pre Nationalisation, but removed afterwards, or are they an error on the model ?

I don't think this has been commented on previously, but apologies if I've overlooked it.

Regards,

John

....should the GBL Deltic be copied from the old Lima then John at A1 models might just find its worthwhile re running his old 'stretch' kit.

Even if the GBL is copied from the less than perfect Bachmann the detailing bits and 'see through' etched grilles from A1 would I'm sure find a ready market with this release.

Can someone bumping into John at a show bend his ear perhaps....

The cantrail grilles are wrong, I think, as A1 put too many slats in them - Brian Hanson's grilles would be a better bet.

I'm not entirely sure we'll see the return of A1 detailing kits.

It might not mean anything but the model of the Deltic in the photo has the headcode 1E10. My Bachman model of D9014 in two tone green has the exact same headcode it's either a coincidence or it has been directly copied.

Fingers crossed.

If I have remembered correctly, I believe that I found reference to 1E10 being the 0910 Dundee to King's Cross service earlier this year, while searching for something unrelated.

....Due to the cost reduced production of the GBL models it is somewhat unlikely that the bogies will be made in such a way that much use of them will be possible if motorising the model so I feel there is a likelihood that the 'see through' nature of the bogie sideframes may not be captured - however this isn't such a big problem as there are plenty of bogie options available to replace the GBL items.

...including complete chassis stripped from complete models on eBay. In theory, stick the GBL shell on top and away you go.

......Regarding the A1 etchings - I've done three Deltic stretches (plus a DP2) and the grilles have always looked OK to me. ....

I found out too late that the ones drawn for the ProtoDeltic had too many slats - 18, as opposed to the 13 of the real thing. Try to remove five without making it look untidy!

I found out too late that the ones drawn for the ProtoDeltic had too many slats - 18, as opposed to the 13 of the real thing. Try to remove five without making it look untidy!

How is the Hybrid Protodeltic coming?

Looking at an enlarged picture of the GBL Deltic, I would say that it is the finished model that will be released and that it originates from the Bachmann version. If you look at the ride height it's the same as the Bachmann model i.e.it sits too high. Also it appears to have some kind of structure behind the bogie frames, which I guess is the solid metal casting that forms the wheels and bogie front, with lifeguards. Certainly has potential.

Cheers

Shane

Taking a step back - I've just got home from France and opened my Schools (looks OK apart from the Smokebox door) and 28xx.

Oh my word, what a mess...

Smokebox door is on at 45º - which is fixable - but the absence of the cylinder and running gear on the left side of the loco - not so much. The connecting rods are on backwards...

I have to wonder who is assembling these things and under what conditions - this is truly abysmal.

I may take the V back to 1930ish condition (no smoke deflectors and reinstated snifting valves) - is there anything I need to know before I do it? I might also get another one to rename as St Trinian's, or possibly Bash Street. Both nameplates are available.

• Like 2

Cheers. So not Bash Street, then?

With your freelance names, you can do whatever you like, but if you want the later cabsides, you may have to salvage a pair from the Dapol (ex-Airfix) plastic kit. (Ten quid's a lot to pay for a pair of cabsides, though.....)

• Like 1