Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Big jim's (now dismantled) 12 x 6 shed layout

big jim

• RMweb Gold

hmmmm, good idea bob, too good!!

however i've been using pointwork i have in my spares stock to avoid going out and spending any money or i'd probably relay it as your idea is a much better set up

Edited by big jim

hmmmm, good idea bob, too good!!

however i've been using pointwork i have in my spares stock to avoid going out and spending any money or i'd probably relay it as your idea is a much better set up

Understand Jim.....Double slips not the cheapest of items.......and dont you think the space between the edge of the base board and the depot is asking for a headshunt or storage line.??

But you know me Jim......if there is a space, put some track in it.

Bob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I did consider an extra line alongside the edge of the board but its quite narrow and i dont want to knock anything off with my belly when i turn round!!

Anyway a few pics from today

First up i wired up the point motors

B42F065B-3E0C-4A58-ACA6-477C0A193443.jpg

Then i fitted the points to the board

E155AE9A-25B4-4D50-8BE2-BE50B5F2A4A5.jpg

Added the point motors

DBAF7AF7-5032-4B67-9F6A-9B826138C91F.jpg

Then fitted the tracks in between

A24D1378-D891-4452-A3E5-C6726E3CCA5D.jpg

Next up i wired all the feeds in, the line to the fuel point is t properly wired yet as thats the only line ive not fixed down yet

C1CFB090-2551-4095-B399-26A0F35ED2D2.jpg

forgot to take a pic of the locos with their lights on before i turned the power off but all lines are live in the shed now

57614860-6723-4F46-B70B-A1DB104F84E9.jpg

Ive decided to leave the shed in the same place as i placed it the other night, this is the other end

5495D481-C77C-4460-B780-FDB3A99E3F75.jpg

• Like 12

Been a great therapeutic session with loads done transforming the station area big time, nice 1 Jim.

edit: forgot to stay I do like that shed well different from the normal usual sheds.

Edited by yorkie_pudd

Brilliant layout Jim, but can I suggest you desist from using Laco flux for electrical soldering. It is an acid based flux mainly used by plumbers because it has a cleaning effect it means they do not have to hand clean copper pipe joints. It may be doing a grand job with your soldering but long term you could find problems from residual acid. Any residual flux needs to be flushed away with water, easy to do in a pipe but not recommended for a PCB.

Richard

• RMweb Gold

thanks, i am no good at soldering as it is and have been struggling with it to be honest!

what do you recommend to use instead (ie something from maplin)

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jim,

Look for cored solder specifically for electrical joints. They usually have non-corrosive fluxes within the solder wire that leave no harmful residues. Multicore make a good range and some of those with a small content of silver are the best - it helps the solder flow. They may be expensive, but electrical reliability needs to be high on the list.

The other two essential ingredients are heat and cleanliness of the joint.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Any chance of video Jim,would luv to here that sound :locomotive:  :locomotive:

i'll get a vid at some point

had a sneaky afternoon in the shed today, called into maplin earlier for some new solder tips to replace ones that i think i've damaged with the acid flux, also got some silver solder

while i was in there i sportted these mains powered LED lights on offer for £10

2F9DAD59-2B96-4A85-9D32-E71731C1A517.jpg

there are 4 to a set but one evaded me while i took the first pic

they are a very shallow mount with a chrome bezel, and i thought at that price i'd get a set to experiment with, if they didnt light up the shed as hoped i'd use them on the kitchen plinths for low level lighting, the mains plug has a switch in line that then goes in turn to a small 4 way push fit splitter box, the cables are basically bell wire/speaker wire

they do put out a surprising amount of light

CFC60C9F-4D78-46AD-A9DF-F67DF33ADAEF.jpg

i fitted the switch next to the door with a couple of double sided sticky pads and run the wire up the wall to the splitter

287B58A8-2388-4A6C-AFF5-C315FFCEB9EA.jpg

i then fitted the lights at regular spaced intervals along the ceiling, slightly to the higher part of the roof, and run the cables inside some stick on trunking i had left over from when i fitted a home cinema (sadly not white!!)

49CF2649-3BF8-4482-8F50-F70CF56F38DC.jpg

as each light has 1.5 M of cable i had to extend the wires from the lights futhest away from the plug but that was just a case of snipping the existing wire and adding some cable in the middle so i could still use the existing push in plug

its hard to see in this pic as it was still quite light when i took it but they illuminate the shed really well

A6001FDF-868F-4CA3-99A0-891567F99FBD.jpg

i'm going to get another set later in the week and mount them on the wall below base board level for low level lighting when i'm working below the boards!!

one thing i was wondering was looking at the mains plug it says the output is 12v 0.5A, could i get away with simply using my maplin regulated power supply to run power to the lights, ie just wire the individual light to the power bus i have running round the layout, the supply to that is a 13v max 5A supply or would the ampage be too much?

5CBC0053-415A-41DF-84E5-3253696EB021.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

one thing i was wondering was looking at the mains plug it says the output is 12v 0.5A, could i get away with simply using my maplin regulated power supply to run power to the lights, ie just wire the individual light to the power bus i have running round the layout, the supply to that is a 13v max 5A supply or would the ampage be too much?

The amperage isn't a problem. What it means is that your supply will push out up to 5A if needed. Over voltage is the killer.

The light will only draw as much current as it needs and as long as the total draw doesn't exceed 5A, then you 'll be OK.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

so will the 13.4 max output kill them or do LEDs have a bit of electrical 'leeway'

the led strips i use for the points indicators are 12v running off the DCC track voltage and i've not had problems with those

• RMweb Premium

so will the 13.4 max output kill them or do LEDs have a bit of electrical 'leeway'

the led strips i use for the points indicators are 12v running off the DCC track voltage and i've not had problems with those

The 13.4v should be OK. Your DCC track volage is probably about 16-18vAC (of sorts) anyway.

It's highly likely that the power supply for the LED's isn't regulated, so could from that.

If you are in doubt, then put a couple of diodes in series (1N4001 will do - very cheap!) to drop about 0.6v each.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I've been playing about with some 12v 10w led modules (5 for just over £10), and looking at ways of powering them. A number of the suppliers state that using anything other than a proper led driver/transformer can  reduce the life of the leds.  Of course this might just be a sales ploy, but I would have thought that a well regulated supply would be a good idea. I've bought some of the proper devices, but will be using spare power supplies too, for comparison. From what I've so far tried, running one off an H and M safety minor gave a certain amount of flicker. On an earlier dip into leds, I replaced a string of halogen spotlights with led "equivalents" (much dimmer), and managed to blow the psu, as the load was too low for it!

Dave

• RMweb Gold

did a bit of soldering earlier, had a couple of bits of dead track that needed powering up, following advice futher back in the thread i have switched to using silver solder as well as renewing the tip on the solderer, what a difference it makes, so much easier and tidier to solder now, less heat, less solder per joint etc

anyway once it was all up and running i had a play with my Hornby 67 and wsmr coaches, they found a few rough bits of track for me as did the Bachmann 66 with a rake of autoballasters, there are a couple of bits of track that i need to "tamp" a tiny bit to stop the leading axle on the 66 from lifting off the rail but thats for another day

here is a vid of the 67 going round the layout

http://youtu.be/s9R-sJCiUz8?list=UUcT6CnhGy5uiy8MlzAYkEpQ

Edited by big jim
  • Like 4

hi jim you might see that the leds for your points will flicker very fast as the power from track power it dirty power like the ohel led,s use drivers / transformers because it is a cleaner power. . a lap top transformer are good also as they have things in them to clean up the power . .  well i hope im right anyway goin of what ive been told   

cheers ian 

• RMweb Gold

Nothing diesel wise has struggled on the gradients yet, the 4MT is limited to 4 coaches though!

May have a few more days on the layout this coming week, going to try and get an extra point decoder fitted for the depot points, maybe get the points motors fitted in the P way yard and wired up to the points decoders

• Like 2

Jim

A great looking layout here I have seen your down at the tracks thread but to my shame I didn't realise you had model railways too.

You have certainly captured the look and feel of the current railway with all those colourfull locos. Is a Colas 37 and 60 on the way soon?

Regards

Dave

did a bit of soldering earlier, had a couple of bits of dead track that needed powering up, following advice futher back in the thread i have switched to using silver solder as well as renewing the tip on the solderer, what a difference it makes, so much easier and tidier to solder now, less heat, less solder per joint etc

Another option for soldering is Carrs Orange Flux. Non corrosive and designed to be used where cleaning afterwards is difficult or destructive.

• RMweb Gold

i got some silver solder, much better job, as it happens im just about to go back into the shed for the day and have a blitz on the layout, point motors in the yard, wire in the accessory decoder for the depot and run a few trains

going to have a stock swap today as i dont leave rolling stock in the shed, fancy getting my DRS 20s and flasks out and maybe the megabox train

• Like 4