Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Why are railway modellers so clumsy?

Oh yeah when are subs due? Because I found some old monopoly money :stinker:

And where i the annual club meeting t the moment.....not still on that island with no access I hope :O  I have considered getting a kayak......but am concerned how long it might take..... :O

Sorry not dropped in for a while.....

things have been busy....

plus still not learned my lesson despite all the warnings on this thread.....DOH!!!!

med_gallery_17883_3113_50877.jpg

had to sit and soak my finger in a ball of cottonwood and nail varnish remover for a good 10 minutes, and still tug a little at a time...

Note to self.....DO NOT chat whilst holding a kit in place the has superglue running down the sides....

Note to self.....carefully read the contend of bottles to establish if in fact the little blighters are actually super glue in disguise....

Don't want to give my age away, but I built a few of these pylons in the 1960's from Triang!! (Managed to stick the kit......not myself!! :mosking:

I see Scotland has voted to stay attached to the National rail system..........

See attached Scottish HQ bought in readiness for the big split....latest recruit just nipped out to finish the paint job........... 

post-10855-0-01476300-1411109313.png

Also,probably sell on the new company vehicle........

post-10855-0-61797000-1411109365.png

• 4 weeks later...

Well I'm back in from the garden refurb. Almost finished out there and no major injuries to report, save for a few holes here and there suffered during battle with prickly bushes.

Indoors things are not so rosy. With the arrival of autumn, modelling has recommenced at SM42 Towers and not 20 minutes in to a new season I have managed to stab myself in the forehead with a steel rule. :wacko:

Do I get a prize for the most innovative use of tools?

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Well I'm back in from the garden refurb. Almost finished out there and no major injuries to report, save for a few holes here and there suffered during battle with prickly bushes.

Indoors things are not so rosy. With the arrival of autumn, modelling has recommenced at SM42 Towers and not 20 minutes in to a new season I have managed to stab myself in the forehead with a steel rule. :wacko:

Do I get a prize for the most innovative use of tools?

Andy

The judges need a demonstration before they award prizes, and they need to practice it themselves to become judges.

Oh it's quite easy really.

Hold steel rule just off vertical and pointing roughly towards you whilst using it as a striaght edge to line up some plastic strip as the glue sets  and then lean forward for a better view.

Hey presto.

Andy

I was filing some plastic to make lintels yesterday.....then noticed I was also filing my nail!!!!! And NOT in a good way....luckily I noticed BEFORE I got down to the skin underneath, to be fair its only a nick not a groove, but only by luck rather than judgement.

OH .....I forgot to say.......the pylons were fraught with other problems.......

One the first one of the three (yes the one I stuck to myself) my younger son came along and said oooo this looks intereting...picked up a V shape piece and broke it.....looked askance put it down and died to scarper before I shouted at him....he failed........

So I went of to get super glue (don't ask why Kal has since removed super glue and replaced with Revel Contacta) and  attempted to repair. I popped the larger piece on the pylon and managed to fix it despite being weighted heavier on one side, and then I glue the two ends of the piece which was like a matchstick.....rolled it in my finger to get it the right way round.........

AND.....

it pinged into the air :O  :O  :O

AAAAAAAAGH!!!!! I was down on the floor in a second.....glue...super glue!!!!!!......on the table? no.....on the floor......moaning ...LOUD MOANING...Kal came to investigate......checked I was ok....helped look....was it on my clothes? no......in my hair? no.......on the chair? no.......rechecked the floor.....looked down the arms of the chair.....moved cushions....widened sreach area all to no avail, refused to hoover for a week...in case it turned up (my excuse and I'm sticking to it) and sulked........no more work on Pylons.....

Well Kal eventually pointed out the pylons were taking up a lot of room...and needed to be finished ...and i would still have 2 ok and one which needed a bodge job......so eventually I decided .....to have a go. I was nearing the finish of the three, almost ready to decided how to replace the missing bit, had been turning the pylons left right, on their side (to get bits to stick without gravity fighting me) when ..... :O

med_gallery_17883_3113_647234.jpg

I noticed this....thought ...what the...and realised my missing bit had been knocked against the pylon......and stuck!!!!!

There followed some urgent questions on our thread ......how to get a piece of superglued model off when it had been there for almost two weeks (Kal had insisted sometime ago hoover had to recommence) ....anyway some bright spark said try hot water and see if it melts the glue.......hmmmmm......if it melts the glue the rest might come undone.....then again it could be regaled.......so hot wage it was....and dxmn me it worked!!!!!! I could not get the glue off the ends that involved a file. But I ended up with 3 complete models. 

So the law of sod, is when you lose a bit, check much nearer to where it was meant to be before searching 10 feet in the other direction/ :butcher:

I was filing some plastic to make lintels yesterday.....then noticed I was also filing my nail!!!!! And NOT in a good way....luckily I noticed BEFORE I got down to the skin underneath, to be fair its only a nick not a groove, but only by luck rather than judgement.

All my best filing is done whilst sacrificing particles of my body to the file.

Sort of appeases the gods of work I suppose

Andy

Sorry to hear about your recent stabbing incident Mr SM42, I on the other hand have no injuries to report  :smoke:

However, I have been locked away in my workshop/ garage for a couple of months building a Hampshire unit.

See attached pic of 1 of about 80 door hinge with bloodless scalpel for size reference, and lets run a competition to guess how much time was spent camping under and around the workbench searching for the fledgling fliers..........

post-10855-0-36694400-1413471882.jpg

Sorry to hear about your recent stabbing incident Mr SM42, I on the other hand have no injuries to report  :smoke:

However, I have been locked away in my workshop/ garage for a couple of months building a Hampshire unit.

See attached pic of 1 of about 80 door hinge with bloodless scalpel for size reference, and lets run a competition to guess how much time was spent camping under and around the workbench searching for the fledgling fliers..........

attachicon.gifHinge.jpg

80 pieces expect at least i in five to ping!!!!!! like tidily winks...... no magnet to help find, colour of floor unknown....lack of detail on after how long you will give up...5 -15 mins.? 

80div5=16

times by a quarter of an hour max = a potential for upto 4 hours.........

oh joy......I would invest in little cushions for your knees....perhaps adding them to the clubs clothing list might be appropriate????

girlie sizes too please....I do seem to spend a lot of time on our stupid green patterned carpet.....with a magnifying glass in hand.....hmm have you consider ed adding a headband and one eyed magnifier to the clothes list too....possibly prated with the word DOH!!!! on the part that will probably fit across ones forehead...... :jester:

• RMweb Premium

I think I've mentioned this before, apologies if I have.

I'd left the cordless drill on the side after sticking some holes through the baseboard for the point motors. Some time later I jolted the side, knocked the drill off, which landed on my foot. I thought it felt like a surprisingly heavy hit then looked down to see the snapped-off bit sticking out of my toe. Luckily it was only a small (2mm) bit and didn't hit the bone, and hadn't gone all the way through and nailed me to the floor.

I think I've mentioned this before, apologies if I have.

I'd left the cordless drill on the side after sticking some holes through the baseboard for the point motors. Some time later I jolted the side, knocked the drill off, which landed on my foot. I thought it felt like a surprisingly heavy hit then looked down to see the snapped-off bit sticking out of my toe. Luckily it was only a small (2mm) bit and didn't hit the bone, and hadn't gone all the way through and nailed me to the floor.

:swoon:

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifHinge.jpg

Hello O great one, nice of you to pop in on one of your random visits from one of your tax free hide aways, does this reappearance mean that monies might be asked for in the very near future, or is it that Christmas is on the horizon and you want the Clumsy Club members to get you something nice. Yours as ever disgruntled of Westerham (still waiting for refund for non supply of safety clothing).

• RMweb Premium

Mr. accident prone reporting.........

Was bending some 4" nails sticking out of an old barn door with the toe of my boot today, you know to make them safe! Then the foot slipped and the nail went into my foot. Agony....and no doubt it's time for a tetanus shot!

Mr. accident prone reporting.........

Was bending some 4" nails sticking out of an old barn door with the toe of my boot today, you know to make them safe! Then the foot slipped and the nail went into my foot. Agony....and no doubt it's time for a tetanus shot!

In Harry Enfield tone:

Ya don`t wanna do it like that.

.........   Not so much a Pylon in a field                            ...........................................................                  more a pile on the ground  ...........     :jester:  :jester:   .....    :nono:   .....

I have nothing but admiration for people who can use tweezers to hold miniscule items whilst they paint them or glue them in place-when I try to "do it properly" the result is the object pings off into space, resulting in some colourful language from me as I attempt to scrabble around to locate it again on all fours!! I have two pairs of tweezers - don't know why I bought them...

I have also noted that said object is never found the first time - but suddenly reappears ridiculously close to where it was lost, but only after half a dozen attempts have been made to find it...

It also seems to me, that when you try to hold an object in its correct position to secure it to a model or apply paint to it, it will take on a mind of its own, and rotate in the tweezers until it is in the wrong position, and the only option is to release it and try again, whereupon it is promptly dropped and lost!!

Superglue - don't get me started, it sticks your hands really well, but not the parts on the models where needed.

Paint - why is it that the moment you put the tin lid on and clean the brush you suddenly see a small area you have missed...

Sigtech (Steve)

Sigtech  I know exactly what you mean about missing a bit. (Or worse still one patch that comes out gloss in a sea of matt. )

In my case I was painting the ceiling white (This was intended, not by or because of an accident ) and noticed I'd missed a bit.

Five coats later I realised I was trying to paint out a shadow.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I have also noted that said object is never found the first time - but suddenly reappears ridiculously close to where it was lost, but only after half a dozen attempts have been made to find it...

Only after a replacement has been obtained in my experience.

Archived