Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Why are railway modellers so clumsy?

I nipped in to my workshop for 'a couple of minutes' for a quick session of clumsiness and mayhem, but due to unforeseen stupidity with a pair of handrails, time quickly passed me by. On hearing a sound at the front door, I downed the  tools which weren't soldered to me, and taking my advanced years in to account, made a spirited dash from the clumsy room (workshop) through what was now a pitch black kitchen. At this precise moment, I unknowingly took up a new form of sport called "bouncing off the kitchen door'  :O

Mrs B says that I no longer resemble a muppet, and lovingly calls me panda eyes :blind:

post-10855-0-42518800-1417778124.png

It's not fair  .....  and it's not funny   .........  this Loco has disaster following it in a Mile-Wide wide trail   ........

First off I bought it second hand, checked it ran and all that   .......   got it home and found it had some damage to 4 out of 6 ladders on the Tender, one of the Smoke Deflectors had been glued back on at some stage, then found the cab window frame on the right-hand side was broken    ...............   Clearly the Loco had belonged to one of the Clumsy Club - and he/she had forgotten to place the Club Sticker on the Smoke Box Door to warn people about it's history  .....   this is absolutely against rule 14.3.(s47), although I don't expect the culprit to own up, any time soon  .......     :no:

Inside view....

15991282615_973e277927_c.jpg
Inside the cab damage by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

and outside view   ........

15805573567_59a95b3935_c.jpg
Outside cab damage by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

The gentleman back at the shop offered complete refund, but I would only have had to find another suitable candidate  ....   at which the kind gentleman fetched a strip of brass of a suitable thin/thickness and knocked £10 of my next purchase  ....  It would be difficult to be fairer than that and I accepted, hopefully with sufficient good grace and appreciation.  ...    :sungum:

This week, I got round to having to find some quiet job to do, as MD upstairs sleeping off 7 hours of the night vomiting on the hour every hour from 02.00 to 08.00  ...   

So, measure up, score up - and a nice brassy slice up  ........

15804043460_39c1a35a53_c.jpg
Cut a slice by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Seems to fit well enough, although there is a slight curvature on the top of the frame, which will require a slightly thicker layer of glue  ...

15371700743_4041957758_c.jpg
Check the fit by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

and apply the glue   ...   and check again

15804062400_a37d0085c0_c.jpg
check the glue by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

I should have been sensible and left it at that   ...............    but you all know how those thoughts are swiftly placed to the back of the queue   ........    I packed it up and took it down the the nice man in the local Salisbury Model Shop   .......     

Well - wouldn't it be a good idea to get a good match for the paint inside the cab?  ...   you can see the thinking there, I am quite sure  ......  and of course, I could ask about finding some rather finer Steps and ladders for that Tender?   ....      so back in the box and - 'orf I jolly well went  .........

Ssoooo   ..................   you will all instantly recognise the circumstances were perfectly set so that it now also requires the 2 x steps, plus the 2 x ladders on the Tender - plus - replacing a Sprung Buffer from the front Buffer Plate, the other Smoke Deflector needs glueing back on, the Cab Window [on the repair side] glueing back in and another set of steps to be replaced  ........   

Apparently the previous owner wasn't the only person able to drop the Loco from the table onto the floor   ........     :punish:

[Note: MD = Mini Driver; for those new to the Thread.]

Thank you  ......................

Just noticed a familiar shape tucked round behind your dust bin............ :jester:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-12-10 at 19.39.21.png

............    that's amazing  ...   I was wondering where it had gone     ............    it looks as though I might be able to add those ladders, steps, buffers and the window after all   .....    :sungum:  :sungum:

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you for some big belly laughs over the last year,and somewhere to come and whinge when something goes wrong, and know it will help me to look on the brighter side of life.A big thank you to the thread owner and the contributors and their humour. 

A very MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all!!!!!!!!

All you have to do for a REALLY stress-free Christmas    ..............................   :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

Have a merry clumsy Christmas all.

............................................................                               ...................................................          is - WALK AWAY from that workbench  ........    :angel:  :angel:  :angel:

..  Yea ...  likely  .......    .......      :jester:    Merry Christmas all 

I finished work at 2 o'clock and the last of the shopping done on the way home.

The baton of Christmas stress at SM42 towers has now  been handed over to Mrs SM42 as Christmas dinner (Polish style)  is in full production mode.

I have been ordered to stay out of the way and only appear when things need taking out to the bin (not dinner I hope) and then present myself  for eating of said dinner when sent for.

May I take this opportunity to wish you all in clumsy land a very merry Christmas and a clumsy new year.

Andy

Who will be taking extra care when eating carp later. Too many bones for the clumsy

Well now I've recovered from all that food and drink I shall tell a little tale of caution from the festivities. May be we could all learn somthing, I did.

Mrs SM42 being a benevolent type (when she's not persuing a missing Clumsy Club Chairman or someother international crim) had bought a charity candle for the Christmas dinner table.

Now these candles have a sort of wrapper that indicates the year and gives a nice little  decoration to an otherwise plain church type candle.

"Is this wrapper fire proof?" I ask. "Yes," says Mrs SM42 " I think so" (Now I think some of you can see where this is going.)

Anyway cut forward a few hours and the Christmas dinner table is bathed in the gentle glow of candlelight. Mid way through the turkey, the light changes and becomes a little more intense and flickery.

No more  is gentle light of a candle creating that Victorian look to the Christmas table. We have been transported back to Medieval times and the table is now lit with a blazing torch where once there was a candle

"Fireproof? You said darling",

Andy

with singeing around the edges

I trust it kept the turkey nice and warm.

Meanwhile I am still mystified by the continuing absence of a very short NEM couple spring which evidently sprung its way off an NEM coupling. I surmise the existence of said spring following the dissection of a nominally identical NEM coupler, which due to an administrative error in the Department of Murphy I was able to reassemble without recourse to any form of instructions or manual application of impetal force. Tragically an attack of lateral thinking resulted in replacement of short NEM spring by one modified laterally by the application of a pair of modelling pliers.

Whilst enjoying my delicious carpet fluff free egg sandwich, I couldn't help but notice the crisis at the NHS.  

Clearly we must carry the lion's share of blame for this unprecedented melt down. :nono:  I dare say my NHS parking season ticket will be going up again this year!!

Still, I'm doing my bit to ensure safety is a top priority as our new CLUMSY clubhouse is built (on a shoe string), and made sure I got in top quality, safety conscious tradesmen....................

post-10855-0-00185300-1420579342.png

• RMweb Premium

Whilst enjoying my delicious carpet fluff free egg sandwich, I couldn't help but notice the crisis at the NHS.  

Clearly we must carry the lion's share of blame for this unprecedented melt down. :nono:  I dare say my NHS parking season ticket will be going up again this year!!

Still, I'm doing my bit to ensure safety is a top priority as our new CLUMSY clubhouse is built (on a shoe string), and made sure I got in top quality, safety conscious tradesmen....................

attachicon.gifTWITS.png

One slip and he'll slice his toes off. :O

as our new CLUMSY clubhouse is built (on a shoe string),

For future reference, how do you keep the clubhouse balanced on the shoestring? Also do you just use the one shoestring (small clubhouse, maybe T-gauge projects only?) or use several tied together?

• RMweb Gold

For future reference, how do you keep the clubhouse balanced on the shoestring? Also do you just use the one shoestring (small clubhouse, maybe T-gauge projects only?) or use several tied together?

A picture of our beloved Chairman trying to get to the club house, whilst balancing on a shoe string.

post-17489-0-93605400-1420619595.jpg

I trust it kept the turkey nice and warm.

Meanwhile I am still mystified by the continuing absence of a very short NEM couple spring which evidently sprung its way off an NEM coupling. I surmise the existence of said spring following the dissection of a nominally identical NEM coupler, which due to an administrative error in the Department of Murphy I was able to reassemble without recourse to any form of instructions or manual application of impetal force. Tragically an attack of lateral thinking resulted in replacement of short NEM spring by one modified laterally by the application of a pair of modelling pliers.

Different train, same coupler type - spring sprung into the maw of the carpet monster.

Hmm, checking the Japanese on the back of the package it does say "Not for sale to CLUMSY people".

aaaah....you didn't read the small print....tut tut....

IF you post on this thread......

you are automatically a full paid up member of the Clumsy Club INC. .......no get out of jail free card .....and Bagpipes331 as the chairman has the right to arbitrary decide what those fees will be, 

he can also hold an extra ordinary meeting....by himself at home when he reads his own heating bills :O  :O  :O raise a second charge.

You are normally requested to send him a blank  signed cheque.....which he will fill in and bank asap....so that you are not late with your payments........

and should he miscalculate and over charge......he has the right to use this excess for an exotic holiday for him and his second in command (debatable) i.e. his wife....

on the understanding that he at least posts one picture giving us a clue where they went.

I do believe that subs are due..........

and don't even get him started....on the whereabouts....of the secret headquarters of the club.....................

which he moves....and changes......as soon as we get a sniff of its whereabouts......in order to attend meetings.......and get to spend some of our club fees......

Archived