Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

A couple of photos of the Finchings' abortive 1947 Wing Walk to Warley have just come to light:

attachicon.gifFINCHINGS WING WALKING.jpg

In the first photo both planes can be seen handling badly and struggling to gain height having just missed Langstone Rock shortly after take off from Haldon Aerodrome.

The second photograph shows a "near miss" as one of the planes suddenly turns to head back to Haldon for an emergency landing.

After jettisoning the Finchings' excess baggage, which had been causing all the earlier handling problems, their Polish pilots Zbigniew and Roman took off again from Haldon with the Finchings aboard. This time it was a conventional flight heading for Baginton (Coventry) Aerodrome, so that Zbigniew and Roman could meet with their former fellow pilots of RAF 308 (Krakow) Squadron and the Finchings could meet Rob and take up their positions on ANTB.

Sadly Roman went missing on a test flight, presumed lost, soon after this, however Zbigniew (Zebadee in translation) survived and here he is about to leave Brent having returned to see Minny. Unfortunately she had moved to Peterborough as discussed about 250 pages ago.

post-2326-0-22547600-1417265919.jpg

Handsome fellow. He went on to become one of the most respected Polish Civil Airliner pilots during the Russian occupation and then founded Wizz Air.

P

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

One for the assorted ANTB throng...

If Dr Who appeared on your lawn with his TARDIS* and offered you a trip forward or backwards in time to anywhere on Earth for just a day, where/when would you choose to go?

For me it would be a summer saturday in 1960 and the destination would be Wadebridge in Cornwall. A day could just about be enough to have a ride along the North Cornwall Railway and a run up to Bodmin North... I would definitely pack a digital camera, loads of memory cards and a stack of fully charged batteries. I'd have to carefully disguise the camera as an old period machine.

I assume Rob would go to Brent...

(*yes I know he's a fictional character) 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

For me it would be a summer saturday in 1960 and the destination would be Wadebridge in Cornwall.

Did that, although it may have been 1961, and wasn't a Saturday. The branch train was worked by a pannier tank. At Bodmin North I had a chat with the driver, and mentioned that I came from Dorking. Oddly enough, he was due to attend a conference at Beatrice Webb House, only a few miles away. I was able to tell him which bus to catch!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Did that, although it may have been 1961, and wasn't a Saturday. The branch train was worked by a pannier tank. At Bodmin North I had a chat with the driver, and mentioned that I came from Dorking. Oddly enough, he was due to attend a conference at Beatrice Webb House, only a few miles away. I was able to tell him which bus to catch!

You can go off some people...

• RMweb Premium

I'd tell him to get the bl**dy thing off my lawn - preferably taking me with him enroute to the South Wales Valleys and sheds I didn't visit during my 1962 expedition (and with a  digital camera to those I did visit).

I did that in 63!!!!!!

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If Dr Who appeared on your lawn with his TARDIS* and offered you a trip forward or backwards in time to anywhere on Earth for just a day, where/when would you choose to go?

For me it would be a summer saturday in 1960 and the destination would be Wadebridge in Cornwall. A day could just about be enough to have a ride along the North Cornwall Railway and a run up to Bodmin North... I would definitely pack a digital camera, loads of memory cards and a stack of fully charged batteries. I'd have to carefully disguise the camera as an old period machine.

I'd get him to take me forward in time until when all the models that have been announced but not delivered are all actually produced, I'd bring a load back and flog them on ebay :devil:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Bath Green Park.....1910. S&DJR locos and coaches in Prussian blue, Midland Railway locos and stock in Midland red...L&SWR stock in salmon pink and brown ...possibly some L&SWR coaches on though workings.

All followed by a trip to Evercreech Junction on a slow stopper......

Image repeated from earlier post...

Rob

post-14122-0-41034900-1417280821.jpg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I'd get him to take me forward in time until when all the models that have been announced but not delivered are all actually produced, I'd bring a load back and flog them on ebay :devil:

It will soon be time to change your avatar Colin to the one with you wearing that red hat.

I would like to go back to 1979 but that's nowt to do with railways.Oh to be a teenager again.

• Like 2

Go in 1959 to be sure of catching O2 30236 at Wadebridge, before those Panniers arrived.Might even be able to fit in a trip to Bodmin Road behind it........

.........and don't forget to take the definitive pic of that elusive "Haig" advert on the loco shed...if it's there.....

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Langley Station overbridge, with my Dad, pondering what on earth could make that noise coming out of Paddington - nothing like a King or a Castle..........and then be impressed to see the Duke for the first time.

Then we could walk home, in our shorts and school caps,  with a bottle of Tizer and maybe even share a small bag of chips, and discuss the day's cops.

He still remembers this event very clearly to this day - without me being there of course :)

• RMweb Gold

It would be handy to nip back to Dolgelley early 1900s and make notes of all the details I will need for the layout. However for a real experience it would be nice to find out what the broad gauge was like.

In the early sixties my dad picked up a ticket for an excursion to the Isle of Wight for me as a present. That was about as close to time travel as you can get. From Ryde pier down to Ventnor  I think most of the stock I saw was pre WW1.

Don

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Go in 1959 to be sure of catching O2 30236 at Wadebridge, before those Panniers arrived.Might even be able to fit in a trip to Bodmin Road behind it........

.........and don't forget to take the definitive pic of that elusive "Haig" advert on the loco shed...if it's there.....

Ok, '59 would probably be better. Still a couple of years left in the T9s, the O2s hadn't yet been replaced and the three BWTs were still in their prime. Great choice of Spam and Ns too. Wonder if I'd be lucky and cop a borrowed U?

Funny you should mention that Haig whisky advert on the side of Wadebridge shed. I've never seen a full view of it, there's always something in the way. It also appears to be a 'special' for that location as I've not seen another Haig one just like it. Guess who spent quite a while looking for a square on, unobstructed version in colour...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Off topic: This is a doctor Who thread......

(and no, you won't get away with such an absurd suggestion! Boo!)

I'll put my camera and stock away then.I've planted some new trees as well including one in the up platform garden.Just in time for the FC photoshoot too.Ah well.... ;)

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 1

Anyway would I get away with shewing my M set on an excursion even if it includes an unpainted coach in the rake. :senile:

Well that 'M' set is better than mine even with an unpainted coach:

post-9751-0-84976500-1417350385.jpg

Seen together for the first time ever.

Last week's photos convinced me that they would look best in blood and custard for my period. It looks as if I can "get away" with no door hinges, as the grab handles act as a "distraction" when viewing from a couple of feet away. Drilling for multiple door hinges is a modelling purgatory for me..... perhaps I should get a different hobby?

• Like 4