A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

We have previously deduced that whilst 5075 received a Hawksworth tender, it was not until February 1948, which is of no use at all to pre-nationalisation modellers like myself and Rob! Fairey Battle (a dog of an aircraft in real life...) received a Hawksworth tender in April 1947, which is why Rob is going for it. I have two Wellingtons to rename, and it's going to be a yet-to-be-decided two from the following eligible castles: Wigmore, Morlais, Montgomery, Brecon. That is unless someone is willing to flog me a Hornby Collett tender with a plug-socket arrangement?

5075 tender allocations can be seen here:

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=5075&loco=5075

Cheers, 

CoY

Agree of no use to Rob, but not "historically incorrect" because it did run like that. Thanks for the tender database; very interesting.

Never?  How about a pair of Hawksworth trailers on the Kingsbridge branch in 1961?  Yes, I know what the date is ...

Chris 

post-6699-0-27567700-1427976537_thumb.jpg

I found this on the Cornwall Railway Society website.  The photographer is Mike Roach.  I'd love to know why this formation was deployed!

Chris

• Like 5

Yes, I'd sorely like to know the answer too...

My theory, for what it's worth, is that the regular branch set, a bubble car, had failed.  As those who know far more about the Kingsbridge branch than I ever will should be aware, auto stock was not normally found here.  4561, never push-pull fitted, was a regular on the branch in later years but with a single brake composite.  I'm guessing that this formation was scrambled from Laira to fill the gap.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

You think this is good for a 'special working? I have evidence of something more bizarre on the Seaton Branch circa 1964/5.

Single car bog cart...Bubble (DTonly I think....need to look back at the DVD) arrives at Seaton Junction. (A DMU trailer appears to be 'sidelined' in a siding...so what is that doing there?). Loads of people waiting.....so, dig out bthe DMU trailer? Nope, rustle up is a Gresley 2nd open and that is hitched to the bog. I thought that Gresleys had Buckeyes, but something must have been sorted.

Unusual but may will be modelled!

P

Edit for bog cart ID and some other stuff.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I haven't had them yet Rob. A mate at work's wife knows the farm. She made us some sausage rolls from the Wild Boar meat and they were lovely - like pork but firmer texture and stronger flavour . I made curry goat the other night with meat from the same place, yum. All I can say to Stu is their farming is better than their labelling! I will let you know how the sausages are when I've had them.

• RMweb Gold

I remember cooking venison sausages on an open fire, pushing a thin stick through to use as a toasting fork. My friend brought his round to see it it was done and the Red Setter just grabbed it off the stick. It must have been far too hot but the dog had no intention of letting it go! This was of course while I was still a carnivore. I seem to remember it tasted good. I think the Red Setter agreed.

Don

• Like 1