A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

A few pages back a few of you asked for some overhead shots of ANTB.I'm not a great fan of them but here's a few anyway taken from the doorway.

post-126-0-28810500-1431862425_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-12142200-1431862450_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-98955900-1431862474_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-73405700-1431862500_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

6676 has been repaired at Newton and is seen here on a running in turn with 7200 on an oil train bound for Millbay Docks.

post-126-0-20725600-1431865158_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-80183900-1431865184_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-18373600-1431865211_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-18673700-1431865238_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-60381500-1431865262_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Good afternoon Rob

Whilst I agree with you on the overhead shots it makes more sense now and yet your close ups give a better overall perspective IMHO.

Thank you for posting them.

Keep up the excellent work matey, it's always worth visiting Brent :)

Cheers

Grahame

As always.......happy modelling!

• RMweb Gold

A few pages back a few of you asked for some overhead shots of ANTB.I'm not a great fan of them 

I sympathise. By tight control of the viewing angle, your usual shots isolate the portion of layout on which there is typically a train "running", to the extent that we suspend disbelief about the remainder of the layout and its inevitable limits (not limitations - ANTB has very few of those in layout terms!). Thus the overall shot, with walls and central aisle in view, make the whole seem more "ordinary", in common with every other layout. A little - maybe  a lot - of the magic of Brent is lost in these new pics. But they do inform.

Hope your local builders merchants have enough wood to do the new building ! :)

Very much looking forward to seeing it on the platform.

• RMweb Gold

Will you be adding photos of the station building build as it progresses?

Hopefully but I'm only finishing the build as David Amias has been commissioned to build the majority of it using Sierd's drawings.He is using a laser printer to make the distinctive Ladies Lobby sign writing above the doors.I'm in his hands photo wise but I have asked him to take some of his build.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The overhead shots are very useful for those trying to work out their own layouts. From outside it lloks like a nicely modelled oval layout. From inside when you cannot see it all at once the magic works. Brent in the last days of the GWR.

Don

• Like 3

Hi Rob

Can I ask.....just to save me trolling through, what track you use for Brent and are you running DC or DCC ?

Sorry if these questions have been asked previously I'm just curious:)

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob

Can I ask.....just to save me trolling through, what track you use for Brent and are you running DC or DCC ?

Sorry if these questions have been asked previously I'm just curious:)

Cheers

Definitely not DCC as I'm stuck in the old days but I do like the attraction of sound but not just yet . It's Railex next weekend and I assume Lionheart will be there and I'll drool over his 45xx with sound.

As for track it's good old Peco code 75 ballasted using the whole range of colours from Green Scene in the 2mm size.

• RMweb Gold

The overhead shots are very useful for those trying to work out their own layouts. From outside it lloks like a nicely modelled oval layout. From inside when you cannot see it all at once the magic works. Brent in the last days of the GWR.

Don

Ah yes! Brent in the last days of the Raj. As I was only saying to the Finching Memsahib, this is one very bloody good model railvay. What we British do very well is build bloody good model railway.

" Land of hope and glory........ "

post-14122-0-30508600-1431913601.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I loved that programme.......still makes me laugh if I see an episode. Seems so un PC but I don't really care.

Quackersahib.

P.S. Lovely pair of shoulders........

Edited by Mallard60022

I sympathise. By tight control of the viewing angle, your usual shots isolate the portion of layout on which there is typically a train "running", to the extent that we suspend disbelief about the remainder of the layout and its inevitable limits (not limitations - ANTB has very few of those in layout terms!). Thus the overall shot, with walls and central aisle in view, make the whole seem more "ordinary", in common with every other layout. A little - maybe  a lot - of the magic of Brent is lost in these new pics. But they do inform.

Hi Ian, I am one of those who like to see the trains running in circles as opposed to fiddle yard to station, etc. For sure, they are in the minority on this forum. My OO Buckfastleigh layout was a circle but it also included Staverton and mysteriously re-entered Buckfast from the Ashburton end. Naturally my current tinplate layout runs in continuous circles!

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Land of hope and glory, what a tune.I love the scene in Brassed Off where Pete Postlewaite character refuses the winning trophy after playing it.It gets me everytime.Bloody great.

• RMweb Gold

Yes. It was a magnificent action by the 2nd Warwickshires. Incidentally, Lt Col (formerly C/Sgt) Bourne, the last survivor of Rorke's Drift died on VE Day.

Quite, but it was the music I was highlighting.....

"Men of Harlech" or "The March of the Men of Harlech" (in Welsh: Rhyfelgyrch Gwŷr Harlech) is a song and military march which is traditionally said to describe events during the seven-year siege of Harlech Castle between 1461 and 1468. Commanded by Constable Dafydd ap Ieuan, the garrison withstood the longest known siege in the history of the British Isles. “Through Seven Years” is an alternative name for the song.The song has been incorrectly associated with the earlier, shorter siege of Harlech Castle around 1408, which pitted the forces of Owain Glyndŵr against the future Henry V of England.

"Men of Harlech" occupies an important place in Welsh national culture. The song gained international recognition when it was featured prominently in the 1964 film Zulu.

Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod!!!!

• Like 2

Yes. It was a magnificent action by the 2nd Warwickshires. Incidentally, Lt Col (formerly C/Sgt) Bourne, the last survivor of Rorke's Drift died on VE Day.

But weren't they really the 24th Foot Regiment, whose barracks (and therefore recruiting took place) were on Brecon - they didn't become part of the Warks Regt until some years later...? Edited by sp1

• RMweb Gold

But weren't they really the 24th Foot Regiment, whose barracks (and therefore recruiting took place) were on Brecon - they didn't become part of the Warks Regt until some years later...?

I dont think the Warwickshires (6th Foot by the way) were involved......the action was fought by a company of the South Wales Borderers.......who were the 24th Foot......... plus some support troops.

• RMweb Premium

I dont think the Warwickshires (6th Foot by the way) were involved......the action was fought by a company of the South Wales Borderers.......who were the 24th Foot......... plus some support troops.

According to this site (which tells you all you need to know about Rorke's Drift), they didn't become the South Wales Borderers until 1881:

http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/myths/myths.htm