A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Empties might suit your purpose, oil tankers unloaded at Cattewater into the tank farm. If you use google maps and type in Cattedown Road and follow it down stream towards the mouth of the Plym and the go to the ariel view you will see the tank farm is still there, as is the Cattewater branch.

I am unable to post a link as I am using me tab.

Here are are the Map and Satellite view of Cattedown & Cattewater.

post-9897-0-75171300-1433250820_thumb.png

post-9897-0-77510800-1433250851_thumb.png

Please note that Plymouth Train Station is not anywhere near the top left corner. I dunno where Google got that from,

Edited by Siberian Snooper

Wasn't that when the short-lived trials with oil-firing steam locos took place?

Wasn't Tigley Junction Shed a surprise choice as Oil Refuelling Depot?

Still photo of refuelling taking place at Tigley:

post-9751-0-28379700-1433252801.jpg

Taken from the official "educational" video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3YIL7bIoa8

Rob just needs to convert all the vast majority of his loco fleet to oil burning and long tanker trains appearing on ANTB would be perfectly in order.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the video, CH. I was wondering what the tenders ranks looked like.Very helpful. Always fancied an oil burner conversion.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Wasn't Tigley Junction Shed a surprise choice as Oil Refuelling Depot?

Still photo of refuelling taking place at Tigley:

Rob just needs to convert all the vast majority of his loco fleet to oil burning and long tanker trains appearing on ANTB would be perfectly in order.

Tommy Traddles could never get the hang of it at Tigley Junction, that's one of the reasons it was abolished.

post-126-0-87039200-1433268998_thumb.jpeg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

As far as the route availability discs are concerned simple  answer is to look at dated photos - somehow I suspect GWR works and sheds were not exactly hot on painting tank engines during the war reserving what painting time they had for 'big' engines or when it was absolutely essential.  I wonder why anyone would bother to shine a light on a route availability disc in any case as everyone who had reason to know would have known what various engines were grouped as.  Numberplates are one thing - especially when faced by a shedful of panniers but why bother to look for the RA disc?

I honestly dont know when,why or where anyone would check a RA disc......I was rather hoping you could shed some light on that Mike :jester:

Perhaps the air raid bit is just an Urban myth but I do believe the change of location from cab side to above number plate happened.......... I rather suspect it coincided with the change of livery in 1942/3 from Roundel to GWR .   Maybe some one just decided it was a more sensible place to locate it.....Tender locos always seem to have had the disc there .....I have only seen Tank Engines with it high on the cab side

Last night I happened to watch part of a video I was given for my Birthday...... "A History of British Trains"........naturally I watched the GWR section and found myself focussing on Panniers and disc location (sad isnt it but I can get somewhat single minded) There were lots of Panniers.....as far as I could tell most if not all BR.....where a disc was visible, and there were many, it was located above the number plate.

This morning having read Mike's post I delved into my admittedly meagre library. In Stephen Williams "GW Branch Line Modelling"  (one of most dog eared books)  any 57xx with "Great Western" or the Shirt Button had the disc high on the cab side. I couldnt find any GWR but there is a shot of a very grubby loco in Farringdon in 1947 with disc above the number plate. Paul Karau's book told the same story including a GWR 57xx with disc above at Fairford. In Gammel's branch lines there is a delightful shot of a 45xx in "early BR days"  it s absolutely filthy except the letters G  W R on the tank side which have been carefully wiped clean! Disc over number plate. Any photos of BR locos had disc over number plate.

Anyway thats my theory......in 1947-8 if a 57xx has GWR livery the disc (Blue of course!) should be over the numberplate..........the extent to which I implement it on Granby is another matter

** Having done this research I now realise I probably dont have enough Roundel/Great Western liveried work horses

Edited by john dew
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/locos/3738/3738.html

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/locos/3650/3650.html

Bu**er.Didcot's two bear this out.Further perusal sees my 7200 has it misplaced too.Grr.

post-126-0-84514000-1433273704.jpeg

Copyright Amyas Crump collection.

Edited by gwrrob

Panniers.

post-21098-0-11618000-1433275780.jpg

My take on the subject - sadly forgot the disc!  Can't take any real pictures of Panniers  nowadays so this is the best I can do so please indulge me.  Even this is pre digital!

Brian.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Panniers.

attachicon.gifscan.jpg

My take on the subject - sadly forgot the disc!  Can't take any real pictures of Panniers  nowadays so this is the best I can do so please indulge me.  Even this is pre digital!

Brian.

Very nice, but I'm sure the rivet count is wrong.....

@Brian,

It would be a very smart idea as every child in the primary school would be able to play and to research his/her little world with meccano.

In the Netherlands it's difficult to buy in the toy stores.

Grzz, Hans

• RMweb Gold

Not forgetting the Indian Tribute band, Delhi Straits, who sang Madras for nothing and Chapatis for free........

• Like 1

There's you inspiration for the next photo Rob !

Nice little Dukedog on a goods through erm........ Oh ! Yeah.......Brent ( sorry nearly forgot !)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Long time followers of this thread will know I like a nice photo.Peter Gray is a particular favourite and here's one of his taken of a Dukedog at Newton on a fish train originating at Grimsby.The caption reads that it was a Bristol to Plymouth service and would have had just a few vans by Newton that were tagged onto another West bound service.

attachicon.gif9849856-large.jpg

Hi Robin,

Is there anymore information on this Dukedog at Newton.  Where was it shedded? Had it been to the works?

It's the first time of seen a picture of one there accept for the rumors of one working up to Trusham Quarry in 1947 :D .

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/Interesting-example-GWR-thriftyness/story-26329638-detail/story.html

The photo above is from 1954 but there is a mention of 9018 in 1948 but I doubt Newton had any.

Thanks for the link Robin.

I never realised Dukedogs made it as far as Newton.  I thought they were all allocated to the Cambrian or Midland areas.  Interesting though and will certainly give some provenance to my story from 1947 ;) .

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1