A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Was she related to Pennycomequick? 

Take care investigating Cornish ancestors and families - one of Mrs Stationmaster's lot spent some time in Bodmin Gaol while another was transported to Australia following conviction for an act of arson in Penzance.  Dunno whyIi lowered myself coming from a family with a couple of archbishops, a pope (probably) and - confirmed today in the Crimble card from a distant cousin in Scotland (but long believed according to family stories) - one who was a planter, and no doubt a slave owner, in the West Indies.

Is the family name a consequence of the papal connection or the other way round?

Nothing wrong with Australia as you well know. At least your ancestor got free passage - it cost me thousands.

• RMweb Premium

Stubby may be interested that my maternal Grandad played Rugby for Cornwall and my late mum told me that he had once played for the Barbarians against the All Blacks (pre 2nd war I believe). The caps and stuff were in a cabinet in our cellar when I was a nipper but were thrown away (can't believe that) when he died in 1961/2ish.

Some time back I tried to find out about his exploits but couldn't find anything at all. That side of my family history is almost a blank page and I have almost no info on my Cornish ancestors.

How we doing page wise now?

P

Now we're talking about the proper game as played by men with odd-shaped balls, what happened to Plymouth Albion? A good friend's father, Gerry Robinson, played for them many years ago.

Now we're talking about the proper game as played by men with odd-shaped balls, what happened to Plymouth Albion? A good friend's father, Gerry Robinson, played for them many years ago.

Still going in National League One (sort of Division 3)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/english-national-league-one/table

In good company with several other clubs with long Union traditions before the game went "professional" such as Richmond, Blackheath, Rosslyn Park, Coventry and Fylde.

(helping towards the 15,000 posts, you understand)

Edited by cary hill

• RMweb Gold

I've survived an evening in the Royal Oak in Brent this eve with a couple of friends doing the pub quiz. A couple of nice pints of Summerskills to aid brain power!

Also on the wall two nice colour photos of Prairies at Brent and Kingsbridge...;)

Edited by 46444

A shame no one produces an after-market boiler support (or slidebar suspender) for the 4575's. Bachmann was rather lazy in using its 45XX and just plonking larger tanks onto the running plate. To me the fault sticks out a mile.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Is the family name a consequence of the papal connection or the other way round?

Nothing wrong with Australia as you well know. At least your ancestor got free passage - it cost me thousands.

The family name appears to be of French origin (who else has got a track layout/signalling sketch of a station which bears their family name?) although an Italian connection has also been mentioned.  Many years ago I contacted the town in France and received a very apologetic letter from the Marie regretting the fact that their records didn't go back beyond the 1530s so they couldn't help with my inquiry about the 1060s.

The distant cousin inEdinburgh (our great grandfathers were brothers) has had a lo of professional genealogical research done on the family tree and she's the one who turned up the second archbishop (we had long known about the other one).  The West Indian connection she has now found from more recently released records is a lot earlier than the one we knew about (he's buried, in a lead coffin, immediately underneath my grandfather).   Some years ago I was in touch with a woman in the USA who was getting on-line masses of West Indian taxation and births & deaths records but I couldn't find anything at all so it's interesting that something has come to light now.  Clearly there was a connection with that part of the world as there are a number of people bearing the family name in the USA but most are coloured so are presumably a consequence of the slave owners' habit of giving their slaves their surname as a way of indicating ownership.  All fascinating stuff.

Just to get back on track it is quite likely that one of my great grandfathers took part in the 1892 gauge conversion in the West of England so he might even have worked at Brent (well you never know ;) ).

• Like 2

Was she related to Pennycomequick? 

Take care investigating Cornish ancestors and families - one of Mrs Stationmaster's lot spent some time in Bodmin Gaol while another was transported to Australia following conviction for an act of arson in Penzance.  Dunno whyIi lowered myself coming from a family with a couple of archbishops, a pope (probably) and - confirmed today in the Crimble card from a distant cousin in Scotland (but long believed according to family stories) - one who was a planter, and no doubt a slave owner, in the West Indies.

Not just the Cornish; we from the other side of the Bristol Channel could throw up some colourful (and unreliable) histories. One of my lot spent the 1901 Census in Bodmin Jail; his father had drowned after an ill-advised (and well-oiled) attempt to salvage scrap from the Helvetica off Rhossili. We'd always been told he died a hero's death, saving lives from said vessel, which had actually run aground six months previously. Another branch went from Old Hill to Tasmania, where they had two children, followed by one in India, and another in South Africa, before fetching up in West Wales.

Other ancestors were probably involved in the wrecking of the ship carrying the Empress Josephine's niece; she is buried in Pembrey churchyard.

• Like 2

Not just the Cornish; we from the other side of the Bristol Channel could throw up some colourful (and unreliable) histories. One of my lot spent the 1901 Census in Bodmin Jail; his father had drowned after an ill-advised (and well-oiled) attempt to salvage scrap from the Helvetica off Rhossili. We'd always been told he died a hero's death, saving lives from said vessel, which had actually run aground six months previously. Another branch went from Old Hill to Tasmania, where they had two children, followed by one in India, and another in South Africa, before fetching up in West Wales.

Other ancestors were probably involved in the wrecking of the ship carrying the Empress Josephine's niece; she is buried in Pembrey churchyard.

Do you mean Old Hill in Staffordshire? - I have ancestors from there too (and I live just up the road).

One ancestors brother was transported to Australia after breaking into a shop in Halesowen and stealing a few pounds of bacon and cheese (he was originally sentenced to hang).

• RMweb Premium

I almost went surfing at Rhossili many years ago and I know the lady who lived in the house just behind/above the beach (I think there is only one house?) Beautiful beach, not far from Swansea where I once knew a very 'accommodating' young woman who's dad was a driver at LLandore. She's the one who took me around Weymouth Shed

post-2326-0-16700200-1450619558.jpg

in  June 1967 after I commented that I could hear a Bulleid whistle in the distance, from her digs in Weymouth..... those were happy days. If I hadn't been a complete ar$e she could have been SWMBO.

P

EDIT: just realised that 15000 has been and gone so ignore this drivel.

Edited by Mallard60022

..... not far from Swansea where I once knew a very 'accommodating' young woman.....

She's the one who took me around Weymouth Shed in June 1967 ..... 

Do you mean 'around ....', or 'behind Weymouth Shed' .. :O

• RMweb Premium

Do you mean 'around ....', or 'behind Weymouth Shed' .. :O

I hate to be coarse but we didn't need the 'behind' the shed bit, so it was deffo around...............and then back to her digs  for convivial entertainment (again.......).

P

• Like 3

I almost went surfing at Rhossili many years ago and I know the lady who lived in the house just behind/above the beach (I think there is only one house?) 

This one? http://www.nationaltrustholidays.org.uk/holiday-cottage/the-old-rectory-west-gower-swansea/

You should have bought it from her. It's now a holiday let, high season price £3000 per week, and already booked until the end of 2017! I send an inquiry once, and after receiving their reply, I booked a cottage in the Llynn peninsula.....