A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Nice pictures... Still, not a common train that people are going to model with lots of 3 packs.

I suspect that trains with 3 or more horseboxes were quite common to stations near racecourses. I doubt though that the train would be made up of identical wagons, most photos seem to show a right rag tag assortment. Of course not every station serves a racecourse. Perhaps next is a 3 pack of pigeon wagons?

• Like 1

From Yarwood, "Window on the Western": Bulldog 3380 at Snow Hill on 7th Sep 1934 with a horse box special. Caption notes it was customary for a brake compo to be marshalled at the rear.

Edit: same picture available at the as ever excellent Warwickshire Railways and a bit clearer than my camera phone version!

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbsh1778.htm

David

post-22698-0-28289300-1521276630_thumb.jpg

And to which pie factory is it heading?

Didn't know they had ready meal lasagna in the 1920s/30s! Edited by Clearwater
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Here is Epsom Downs on a race day , ( image : Lens of Sutton Assosciation - I used to shop there in the 50s)

Some horseboxes duplicated and a lovely Mogul!

post-21027-0-99233400-1521278979_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I’m only running a small line, but there’s a passenger train, a goods train, and a horsebox special, which I quite like. (The third vehicle has a chassis waiting for a LSWR horsebox body)post-26540-0-06922800-1521280664_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Dont think so Robin. I think that is class K....pick up branch freight,mineral or ballast.

GWR shunting is a red light on the top iron front and rear.......I think.....remembering what Mike said.....that BR changed this in 1948 to red and white lights on buffer beam....front and rear

Cheers

John

Hi All,

The last bit is certainly true John - we need a bit of Stationmasterly advice me thinks...

All the best,

Castle

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/128677-gwr-shunting-lamp-code/

Is the lamp a white one with a red lense like a tail lamp then.

John quoted the correct GWR arrangement for lamping a shunting pilot.  On an engine it would be a standard engine lamp using the red slide.  The lamp could be either a red or a white lamp body for Rob's time period although I think white might be more likely by then, er probably.

• Like 1

post-20303-0-08866700-1521318356.png

I'm lead to understand that one specific use was for drawing out splinters, which were frequently caught in ones hand when falling over in the Pullman coaches.

There were many specially chartered trips to get cheaper bulk discount at the manufacturers factory for Suvvern Rail Pass holders in the '50s but subsequently stopped soon after the emergence of cheaper products from their local station branch of W.H.Smiffs, apparently.

N.O.T. Acloo

• RMweb Gold

Its green. Its GWR - it says so which makes it GWR green. Beware of imitations!!attachicon.gifHornby (640x480).jpgIncidentally, why would the SR run Pullman trains to Epsom?Brian.

Here’s your 4-4-2 tank in proper SR green taking Pullman cars to Epsom Downs on Derby Day, - probably, as before to Tattenham Corner station. I don’t think the horses were allowed in these coaches.

post-21027-0-94532800-1521330434_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

The headcode on the I3 is Vic to Epsom Downs via Mitcham Junction. In the modern era Her Maj has always gone to Tattenham Corner, and nowadays Epsom Downs only has one platform instead of seven! But back then I suspect there was loadsa traffic to both termini.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Races? Newton Abbot and Exeter? Maybe Taunton? Exeter was miles away from the City though. Horses would have come up from Cornwall and locally in south west Devon.

Perhaps ceremonial horses (Military) may also have been transported to a special event?

Pigeon trains were often quite long efforts.

Philth

• RMweb Premium

And unlike horseboxes, pigeon vans had no accommodation for humans and therefore would usually have a passenger vehicle in the formation for the handlers

Did pigeons need handlers? Weren't they just released by station staff at their destination?

• RMweb Gold

You'll need to sprinkle some talcum powder on that, if you want to replicate Brent as it is at this very moment, Robin.

I'm sure someone with photoshop could do it. ;)