Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

8 hours ago, Clearwater said:

I’m sure @Miss Prism will have a longer list, but I up to a third error on 4074.

1) fire iron tunnel

2) superheater on smokebox

3) should be tall chimney

At least two of these appear to be capable in the tooling based on the mock up of 4073.

Just to be a bit daft with this,as it is the garter version illustrated, 4074 had the name spelt with 2 x tt when first released into traffic and corrected later. 

Mike Wiltshire

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, EHertsGER said:

Rumney Models will be releasing an etched kit for the Mink F later this year - likely July.

There is a very good Mink F available in  3D from Bygone Wagons. I am still running my old BSL/ Hobbytime one.

Mike Wiltshire 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

One of the photos I’d seen of Caldicot(t) Castle ( top knowledge @Coach bogie) has an indicator shield.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen one on a model? I’m thinking the sort of thing that should be 3D printable? Possible to slot over a model?

AFF03AC5-ADCF-4D29-8605-3AAF75F0BCF2.jpeg

lookin at that, it doesn’t look too hard to model in 3d - getting it to fit the footplate and buffer beam would be the tricky bit

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

One of the photos I’d seen of Caldicot(t) Castle ( top knowledge @Coach bogie) has an indicator shield.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen one on a model? I’m thinking the sort of thing that should be 3D printable? Possible to slot over a model?

Well it would certainly use up a goodly amount of my coffee stiry sticks !

• Funny 5

12 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

Somebody more knowledgeable than me, paging @The Stationmaster @Coach bogie, can confirm the shield had staff working in it?  I can see the window is open.

There are images of staff inside, one each side. At one period they had bulky military type,  headphones and mics to communicate with the dynamometer car.

Mike Wiltshire 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

It’s something I keep thinking about having a crack at printing, I don’t suppose there is a drawing somewhere…

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Clearwater said:

Swindon Carpentry shop. Spring 1935. Conversation between the Foreman and a couple of carpenters. 

" Right lads. 'Is Nibs is proper annoyed. All this stuff abart them flippin' LNER and LMS streamliners and ees getting it in the neck from arbuv.  'Ee wonts us to knock summart up to make them Gents on the board ov Deerectors 'fink we've got a streamliner ov arr own.........."

Edited by NHY 581
Diction/datage
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

12 hours ago, Clearwater said:

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Swindon Carpentry shop. Summer 1938. Conversation between the Foreman and a couple of carpenters. 

" Right lads. 'Is Nibs is proper annoyed. All this stuff abart them flippin' LNER and LMS streamliners and ees getting it in the neck from arbuv.  'Ee wonts us to knock summart up to make them Gents on the board ov Deerectors 'fink we've got a streamliner ov arr own.........."

The Directors were more impressed with Lady Anne Summersby's proposal

image.png.386be2c74010a5c0a845eb317af38f36.png

Though some might have been a little perturbed....

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

I think it was O S Nock who recounts that Collett wasn't impressed by the request to streamline his locos so he sent the office boy out to purchase some plasticine which he applied to a paperweight model loco on his desk and sent it to the drawing office with instructions to "make something like this".

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

image.png.386be2c74010a5c0a845eb317af38f36.png

I believe that photo appeared in the March 1935 edition of Rubber and Plastics Monthly. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Clearwater said:

All this talk about 3D printing an indicator shelter, find that remains of the embossed plastic card made to look like planks.

No matter how it is done what was inside apart from two men with the latest Marconi communication gear? That needs to be modelled as there is no roof.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

57 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

All this talk about 3D printing an indicator shelter, find that remains of the embossed plastic card made to look like planks.

No matter how it is done what was inside apart from two men with the latest Marconi communication gear? That needs to be modelled as there is no roof.

Waddayamean no roof, egads man, have you not seen a picture of the opulence within that shelter, this is from the Swindon archive:

image.png.564b52983b3acaab7cc3e95b4d779ca9.png

Edited by woodenhead
spelling
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Thanks Clive.  Grim job… great info!  Feels like one for Modelu to scan people with kit?

• Agree 3

On 10/01/2023 at 11:06, Harlequin said:

I would buy a new Castle because second-hand modern DCC-ready loco-drive versions seem to be quite thin on the ground. (There are lots of older toolings and tender drive versions.)

However, I'm not going to buy any if they have glaring errors!

I have one of the original releases of “Wellington” which I stuck “Devizes Castle” nameplates onto to backdate it a bit. It is DCC ready, loco drive and runs reasonably well, but as I move toward sound fitting I wouldn’t mind a newer model with electrical pick up on all tender wheels.

However at £200+ I’ll have to live with what I have got unless the new releases start turning up in the bargain bins. My last two Hornby locomotives (a Grange and a Star) were acquired that way for £99 which is the sort of sum where “nice to have” comes back into play, especially if I can sell off the older model to part finance it.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

7 minutes ago, Star-rider said:

I have one of the original releases of “Wellington” which I stuck “Devizes Castle” nameplates onto to backdate it a bit. It is DCC ready, loco drive and runs reasonably well, but as I move toward sound fitting I wouldn’t mind a newer model with electrical pick up on all tender wheels.

However at £200+ I’ll have to live with what I have got unless the new releases start turning up in the bargain bins. My last two Hornby locomotives (a Grange and a Star) were acquired that way for £99 which is the sort of sum where “nice to have” comes back into play, especially if I can sell off the older model to part finance it.

I'm in much the same position, although fortunately / unfortunately I don't have the room to be running main line locomotives and a lot of the items I would like are well into three figures, so at present it's a case of waiting for someone to offload them for the latest offering.

I've only got two new locos, both bought for me by the memsahib, because apparently, that's what student loans are for...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Clearwater said:

I think the picture of the streamlined King is interesting.  Feels to me that two things particularly jar.  Firstly thr bulbous nose.  Secondly, the steam pipes jut into the wind not smoothing it away?

All part of the 30’s quest for glamourising transport,epitomised by Brooklands,Supermarine seaplanes and both the LMS & LNER streamliners. The GWR had its moment too with The Cheltenham Flyer….Castle hauled of course. Its venture with streamlining locomotives was an ignominious failure. 5005 Manorbier Castle was similarly “adorned “ whereas Tregenna Castle wrote the GW into the record books with the Flyer from Swindon to Paddington…without the bulb. Growing up in the forties,it was still the stuff of legend but long gone and never to be repeated

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 23/12/2022 at 16:25, Limpley Stoker said:

Looks as though we won’t miss Coopercraft so much, but at a price. They do look splendid but I hope those tie bars are sturdy !

Dredging this up whilst catching up on the thread - if only the O11/15 was a duplicate of an ancient CC kit. Unfortunately it's not, there is however a very good Parkside Dundas kit of the O11/15 so I won't be going for any of these RTR ones as I have already built my fill of them.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 02/01/2023 at 13:26, NHY 581 said:

What is  remarkable is that Hattons went ahead and sold these to the paying public despite the issues with the chassis.  I recall speaking to Hattons ahead of returning my third example to be told that the fault lay with my layout and they had few if any returns.

I wonder what the true stats are like, it took me 3 goes to get one that would work anywhere near smoothly.

On 02/01/2023 at 12:04, NHY 581 said:

There was, ash pan aside, nothing fundamentally wrong with the 14xx( et al) body but that chassis simply was not fit for purpose. 

My biggest issue is the dome - they do not blend seamlessly into the boiler casing as on the model and it's one of the first things my eye gets dragged to when looking at them, if they've not already been offended by the sunken number plates. There's weird superfluous holes in the cab front and something else that just looked wrong that I don't recall off the top of my head. The cab steps and roof handrail on the early versions were a shame also, but explained as too cost prohibitive to make yet another mould for, due to the way the body had been designed.

It could have been "superb" as CK describes it, but I think I'd give it a B+. No doubt, it is better than what came 40 years before, but still not quite there IMO.

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2