A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

12 minutes ago, Mike_Walker said:

We go back to wattle and daub.  😂

But adding the cow muck and horse hair to the mixture will incur the wrath of the environmental campaigners due to cattle f@rting the planet to death and probably the animal rights campaigners over the use of horse hair...

You can't win.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, sjrixon said:

They look, fairly good. But I think painting would be better.. 

15 hours ago, McC said:

Painting would lose all of the detail. In ‘real life’ they look amazingly real 

Sorry, have I missed something here, or lost the plot entirely?  They look painted to me.

• RMweb Gold
Just now, checkrail said:

Sorry, have I missed something here, or lost the plot entirely?  They look painted to me.

Not at all :) They are 3D printed directly in colour. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

But adding the cow muck and horse hair to the mixture will incur the wrath of the environmental campaigners due to cattle f@rting the planet to death and probably the animal rights campaigners over the use of horse hair...

You can't win.

There's always caves to live in I suppose.

Mind you, when I were a lad, there were a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

13 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

There's always caves to live in I suppose.

Mind you, when I were a lad, there were a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road.

Shoebox? 

You had shoes?!?!?!?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 13/06/2023 at 13:52, Clive Mortimore said:

I am concerned with the clamor for even more underside detail, are there so many modellers who build layouts where the stock frequently falls off showing its bottom? 

On 13/06/2023 at 14:38, gwrrob said:

That's me I'm afraid @Clive Mortimore from the school of if it's on the prototype it should be on the model. A detailed underframe ticks one of my boxes.

I'm halfway between views - yes please to accurate brake layouts, decent thin levers, brake rodding, vac cylinders etc, they can be seen from the side. I don't see the point of fake planks, chassis frames and draw-gear which you never see unless plonking the vehicle upside down for a photo (or as Clive says, your stock falls off and rolls over). Seems a waste of CAD and tooling time/expense to me.

• Like 3
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
On 13/06/2023 at 17:23, PMP said:

The badge is there for a reason. I used 1/43 rivet heads from Archers to make the bolt heads, which I mentioned when asked what I’d used to do the conversion. I was robustly told by a special modeller that they were bolt heads not rivets. I explained again that the items I used were rivets, to be told again, that they were bolt heads not rivets, you can probably imagine how the rest of the discussion went..

Someone interjected and said "You're both wrong, they're nuts" ?

(yes, I do get what you were saying about the items themselves 😉 )

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 57xx said:

I'm halfway between views - yes please to accurate brake layouts, decent thin levers, brake rodding, vac cylinders etc, they can be seen from the side. I don't see the point of fake planks, chassis frames and draw-gear which you never see unless plonking the vehicle upside down for a photo (or as Clive says, your stock falls off and rolls over). Seems a waste of CAD and tooling time/expense to me.

Interestingly this also came up in the Rapido thread for the Toad brake van recently.

”Loads of internal detail that I won’t be able to see “…… The response from @rapidoandy was that it adds nothing to the cost £, but adds to the appeal  of said wagon.

The same has to be true of the underframe detail….

As long as it’s not going to cost me extra £ then, I’m happy to know it’s there…..

Similarly of course in the B set carriages, I doubt I am going to see the luggage racks and as long as it’s not added to the cost, then I am happy.

Obviously, what we are talking about is increasing the standards of RTR stock and that has to be good,

• Like 4
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, McC said:

Not at all :) They are 3D printed directly in colour. 

Had my DHL notification tonight for delivery of mine tomorrow. I’ll let you all know what I think.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Re figures @McC and they came by the same driver who delivered my siphons. The jiffy bag was open but the contents were still present.

The figures are good although a pro job from someone  like painter Dan Evason might suit the Modelu casting better, at a price of course.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Interestingly this also came up in the Rapido thread for the Toad brake van recently.

”Loads of internal detail that I won’t be able to see “…… The response from @rapidoandy was that it adds nothing to the cost £, but adds to the appeal  of said wagon.

As long as it’s not going to cost me extra £ then, I’m happy to know it’s there…..

Similarly of course in the B set carriages, I doubt I am going to see the luggage racks and as long as it’s not added to the cost, then I am happy.

Obviously, what we are talking about is increasing the standards of RTR stock and that has to be good,

The B set luggage racks look amazing, you'll want to run them with the roof off!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

It sounds as though your Modelu crew had a chance to escape from the Jiffy bag but chose to stay in and come to you-! They must have been wowed by your Devon scenery in the absence of thei promised Manor!

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/06/2023 at 21:24, Neal Ball said:

I have to say I'm quite sceptical of that sort of response, how can extra CAD, tooling, moulding and assembly not add cost? Someone asked a similar question about lighting in coaches and we were told it cost pennies, yet Hattons saw fit to do two versions of their Genesis coaches with and without lighting and a not insignificant difference in cost.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, 57xx said:

I have to say I'm quite sceptical of that sort of response, how can extra CAD, tooling, moulding and assembly not add cost? Someone asked a similar question about lighting in coaches and we were told it cost pennies, yet Hattons saw fit to do two versions of their Genesis coaches with and without lighting and a not insignificant difference in cost.

I follow your logic, but we know Rapido is not run by a bunch of cynical capitalist bean-counters, but by people who love the hobby. Permit them to indulge their enthusiasm by making the best models they possibly can. Since the product is still not costing silly money, I can cope with detail I'll not see when running trains. And many other products we cheerfully buy, such as computers and phones, are laden with capabilities most of us never use.....

• Like 5
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 57xx said:

Actually, the lit and unlit versions of the Hattons Genesis coaches all have pick-ups and seem to differ only in whether they have a lighting module inserted before the roof is clipped on. You can lift the unit out of a lit one and drop in into an unlit version and it will work. Yes, in theory I've paid for pick-ups I don't need but making versions with and without would probably increase the cost of both by complicating the assembly process. Also, of course, when I get round to fitting tail lamps to my (unlit) brake vehicles, all the hard work has been done for me....

The cost difference is therefore known (assuming both versions generate the same margins), i.e. it's what the module costs, plus fifteen or twenty seconds labour to fit it!

Where goods brake van interiors are concerned (and Hornby's LSWR brake also has one) it's part of the one-piece floor moulding. No extra parts and a relatively easy modification to one that's being made anyway.

Any additional design and tooling cost will be marginal, and so long as any picking out of individual colours is left to the end purchaser, it won't affect the assembly cost at all.   

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

And many other products we cheerfully buy, such as computers and phones, are laden with capabilities most of us never use.....

I’ll be sampling the delights of Torbay and elsewhere in the West Country soon but worried my elderly I phone won’t be good enough to use in their car parks with the required apps etc.

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I’ll be sampling the delights of Torbay and elsewhere in the West Country soon but worried my elderly I phone won’t be good enough to use in their car parks with the required apps etc.

Rob, it's Devon matey. They accept Florins.

R.Hood.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Mallard60022 said:

Rob, it's Devon matey. They accept Florins.

R.Hood.

I forgot to add, are you going to Dawlish so we can see you on one of the Web Cams?

A. Noseyparker.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I forgot to add, are you going to Dawlish so we can see you on one of the Web Cams?

A. Noseyparker.

Have they finished rebuilding the sea wall yet.