A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

After DeanGoodsGate I expect the manufacturers would be nervous about offering a new version of it!

At least the liveries would be straight forward.

• RMweb Gold

I see that these new Dean Goods are out now, or some of them, anyway. Are they not any good, then?

I don't want/need one as they weren't seen west of Taunton in my period. :onthequiet: 

I see that these new Dean Goods are out now, or some of them, anyway. Are they not any good, then?

There is a great deal of discussion elsewhere on the RMWeb regarding this model if you wish to "Read All About It ".

Although it would very much suit my period I'm afraid it's not for me sadly which is a real shame but HeyHo !

Not totally Rob, at least we can see your skills from above.

That said it took me back more years than I care to think about, does anyone remember watching this as a young lad ?

post-20303-0-40404800-1499099111.jpeg

Dunno why but your comment made me think about it.

Prop Pellor

• Like 2

That said it took me back more years than I care to think about, does anyone remember watching this as a young lad ?

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Prop Pellor

That helo rings a bell, is it a Huey?

I'm so sorry, I'll get my coat ...

I don't want/need one as they weren't seen west of Taunton in my period. :onthequiet:

It could/may have happened; in an emergency anything is possible. In the middle forties a Dean Goods ventured as far as Laira and never was seen again but I saw it myself when I should have been playing football or something, at the sports field by Tavistock junction. So it could of happened at Brent in your period as well, Rob. Good excuse for variety!

Brian

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Prop Pellor

A man went into a pub and asked for a packet of helicopter flavour crisps.

"Sorry sir, we've only got plane".

I thank you.

• RMweb Gold

It could/may have happened; in an emergency anything is possible. In the middle forties a Dean Goods ventured as far as Laira and never was seen again but I saw it myself when I should have been playing football or something, at the sports field by Tavistock junction. So it could of happened at Brent in your period as well, Rob. Good excuse for variety!

Brian

One of the Drivers at a past depot in my railway career had been in military service during WWII and spent a reasonable chunk of his war firing a Dean Goods hauling some rather large artillery about the British railway network.  He used to say the longest distance he had ever worked without relief was from Plymouth to the Dover area.  So seemingly - and assuming he was on the Dean Goods at that time - at least one got down there on a coastal artillery train.

Is that a condensing tank version? I've never seen one like that before.

Philth

Hiya mate,

I'm not too certain but my Dean Book gives masses of info but I'm no where near at the mo to look it up ( babysitting for the day-ish ).

I did intend reading about them last night but fell asleep!

I'll get back on that one if I may

From your wet shouldered, wet hand and wet faced ( yes he got me !) baby correspondent

Ivor N. Appie

• RMweb Gold

A man went into a pub and asked for a packet of helicopter flavour crisps.

"Sorry sir, we've only got plane".

I thank you.

Must have been the same bloke, same pub on another day.

As he walked in, there was a dog on the floor licking its bits. "Gee" he said "I wish I could do that!"

Whereupon the owner said "Give him a packet of crisps and he'll let you!"

And a goodnight to you, too!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Must have been the same bloke, same pub on another day.

As he walked in, there was a dog on the floor licking its bits. "Gee" he said "I wish I could do that!"

Whereupon the owner said "Give him a packet of crisps and he'll let you!"

And a goodnight to you, too!

Blimey, that takes me back to hearing that joke by Jasper Carrott on one of his albums back in the late 70s.

• Like 1

Blimey, that takes me back to hearing that joke by Jasper Carrott on one of his albums back in the late 70s.

And he heard it off his Grandad.....!!!!

Edited by KNP

• RMweb Premium

So seemingly - and assuming he was on the Dean Goods at that time - at least one got down there on a coastal artillery train.

Not just coastal artillery - in the early 1940s two WW1 rail guns were dragged out of storage.  One was test fired at Halwill Junction over half of Devon onto Dartmoor before being shuffled off to the Dover Area for some action.

When first fired over the Channel, Churchill is recorded as asking what had been hit, to which a Gunner one pip wonder replied "France Sir".

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Not just coastal artillery - in the early 1940s two WW1 rail guns were dragged out of storage.  One was test fired at Halwill Junction over half of Devon onto Dartmoor before being shuffled off to the Dover Area for some action.

When first fired over the Channel, Churchill is recorded as asking what had been hit, to which a Gunner one pip wonder replied "France Sir".

Would those guns have been secreted somewhere in the wilds of Devon/Cornwall  by any chance? My first thought was they would have been in Devonport Dockyard but that was, of course, a prime target for the Bosh.

• RMweb Premium

Would those guns have been secreted somewhere in the wilds of Devon/Cornwall  by any chance? My first thought was they would have been in Devonport Dockyard but that was, of course, a prime target for the Bosh.

I don't think there was anywhere in Devonport, that you could hide those big guns or Ernesetle come to that, I 'very not been in Bullpoint so I can't say.

• Like 1