A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

I just knew there was something brewing in the South Hams.....

attachicon.gifDSCN1934 (2).JPG

Has Sierd been buying stuff again, the 2 warflats are they Oxford or Hattons ones ? :boast:

Track and Trace on a detour from Exmouth Junction.

attachicon.gifDSCN1947 (2).JPG

Straight out of the box, a superb Hornby Royal Mail. Beautiful finish and a great runner too. Merchant Navies were never seen west of Exeter so this is pure indulgence of rule one.

attachicon.gif79.jpg

attachicon.gif80.jpg

attachicon.gif81.jpg

attachicon.gif82.jpg

Has somebody been playing with my toys? Again...  :nono:

• RMweb Premium

Straight out of the box, a superb Hornby Royal Mail. Beautiful finish and a great runner too. Merchant Navies were never seen west of Exeter so this is pure indulgence of rule one.

attachicon.gif79.jpg

attachicon.gif80.jpg

attachicon.gif81.jpg

attachicon.gif82.jpg

At last some appropriate, well proportioned motive power in a delightful summery green. Sierd to the rescue.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Have you had the tamper through, that tin of meat looks very close to the underside of the bridge.

It's probably Fray Bentos bully beef, the macho stuff.  :jester:  

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif79.jpg

attachicon.gif80.jpg

attachicon.gif81.jpg

attachicon.gif82.jpg

I wonder what those GWR engine crews would have made of those lovely electric lights, bright green & yellow paintwork full of postwar optimism and a loco that could be cleaned in the carriage washer?

Lovely model Robin and nice to see it stretching its legs on ANTB.  

With these locos Sierd is spoiling you.  Bullied Merchant Navy Class....A sign of good taste!

I believe Hornby are rerunning the Q1 in black with SR Sunshine lettering later in the year....I wonder if Sierd is tempted?

• Like 2

No sooner had they built these as shown, they were spoiled by subtle changes, perhaps warranted but the look was changed somewhat.  Only to be completely shattered when the 'streamlining' was removed.

Brian.

A sign of good taste!

Look where I was today!

post-13158-0-59439300-1504033554_thumb.jpg

post-13158-0-77324800-1504033573_thumb.jpg

Holt Model Railways, Bishopston, the Gower (http://www.holtmodelrailways.co.uk/index.htm) (just a very satisfied customer)

And I bought something very tasty indeed:

post-13158-0-88176400-1504033986_thumb.jpg

post-13158-0-23606700-1504033996_thumb.jpg

Like it? :jester:

(Did buy something else as well, but as I don't want to ruin my reputation for good taste, I won't show it on here...)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Like it? :jester:(Did buy something else as well, but as I don't want to ruin my reputation for good taste, I won't show it on here...)

Any Mike's Models water cranes in stock.

I think they look absolutely superb in original condition. must have been a shock for the post-war eyes when they went from wartime black to green. Wow.

Will have to repaint it in wartime black, as otherwise it won't look right om my layout...  :whistle:

Plenty of weight there Bob - the Cotswold kit makes up into quite a hefty engine and with a decent motor it should manage quite easily pulling down the side of a house.

BTW let's not forget that in real life the 47XX and 'Hall' were in the same Power Class (D) so were allowed some similar loads, except for the 'Halls' with the additional (white) X power rating which were allowed heavier loads on certain freight trains.  For passenger working there were some interesting differences - effectively the 47XX was allowed one coach more than other Class D engines on level or slightly graded sections but oddly (in view of their smaller wheels) that advantage was reduced to around no more than 15-20 tons, and in some cases no difference at all, on the heavily graded sections. (One strange exception was climbing Hemerdon where a 47XX and a 68Xx were allowed the same load but a 'Hall' was allowed 13 tons less than them.)  

Plus of course the 47XX was restricted to 60mph when working passenger trains ad they were in any case very unpopular with Enginemen, especially Firemen, when used on long distance passenger trains on Summer Saturdays in later years.

Lever reverse?

I have recently purchased a Bachmann No.4965 Rood Ashton Hall split from the Shakespeare Express train pack, mainly because I like the fully lined GWR livery and the pairing with the 3500 gallon tender. I guess this is correct for this loco in preservation?

I believe the early Halls were paired with 3500 gallon tenders? Can any of you GWR Hall experts provide me with a few name/number combinations. I have the plates for 4953 Pitchford Hall, would this be a possible candidate?

Glenn - Hall's well that ends well!

According to RCTS Part 8 the first 40 (or so) were built with 3500 gal tenders. So any of those would do, but a number of 4000 gallon tenders were built simultaneously with the first Halls (accounting reasons?) . If you have a brand new loco sitting outside the works and a new tender, do you; a. couple them together and send them out. Or b. Wait until a Castle comes in to do a swap.

I suspect the RCTS is too simplistic!

Oakhill

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here, have my naughty step.

He can't ,I've had your name engraved into it now, I'm an old sentimental fool.

Anyone want to see some more warwell shots now.

• RMweb Gold

That is as green as green can be. It looks extremely smooth. Is there much rivet detail on it, Robin?

I rather preferred them in blue, but most of all, I think that the rebuilding really 'made' them.

Still a lovely model, though.

How about a Midland loco or three now, Robin, please?

Guest 7007GreatWestern

A question for the livery experts:

7233 was built in September 1935.....the shirt button roundel was introduced in June 1934. I can understand delays and omissions in implementing the new livery on existing locos but would have expected new locos turned out over a year later to bear the new livery...........and yet I imagine Hornby must have carried out appropriate research and I dont recall a great wailing and gnashing of teeth about this model carrying "Great Western"..........can anyone enlighten me?

I have to say the roundel would look pretty minute on the side such a HUGE tank

Cheers

John

Hello John et al,

I'm hope you'll be pleased with the Hornby 72xx. I have a couple plus a 42xx and all three run nearly silently and very smoothly. Given that these locos emerged from the ill-conceived "Design Clever" era at Hornby the chassis runs very well indeed. The first batch differed from the second and subsequent batches in that they did NOT have brass axle bearings and some detail (e.g. smokebox dart) was moulded on. You'll be pleased to hear 7233 is from the second batch!

Regarding the livery that Hornby applied to 7233: yes it does carry the "Great Western" livery despite being outshopoped in 1935 and I take your word that the shirt button roundel was introduced in 1934. However, the first forty 72xxs were rebuilds of 52xx (actually 5205) 2-8-0 tanks that had been built some years earlier, put immediately into store and had never run in traffic because of a national economic depression. The conversion work consisted of extending the frames rearwards by just over 4ft, adding a trailing axle and extending the bunker backwards. It is entirely possible that Swindon didn't then bother to repaint the whole loco, merely the new bunker! This might explain why the class appeared in this anachronistic livery. For the record I have found photos of both 7200 (of 1934) and 7229 (of 1935) in "Great Western" livery.

I hope this is useful.

Andy.

• Like 1