A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

May I ask a quick question to the ANTB parishioners please ?

Does anyone know of a transfer ( decal ugh! ) manufacturer that produces the word " LARGE " on a sheet as I would like to use them on GWR Cattle wagon ends. ( 4mm )

I've trawled 'tinterweb without success so far and maybe, just maybe someone might just know ?

Thank you

Grahame

Modelmaster might......

Somebody been to Swindon then?  Love it but its always a shame to think these will never run again out in the fresh air, white smoke drifting back on the breeze and that GW whistle echoing before Marley tunnel.  Or wherever!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know of a transfer ( decal ugh! ) manufacturer that produces the word " LARGE " on a sheet as I would like to use them on GWR Cattle wagon ends. ( 4mm )

I've trawled 'tinterweb without success so far and maybe, just maybe someone might just know ?

Thank you

Grahame

Cambridge Custom Transfers are very good at doing unusual stuff and may produce some if they don't already. 

Phil

Thank you

Grahame

Have you looked on any Model Boat Websites as they do ranges of letters as well in this scale?

• RMweb Gold

Thank you

Grahame

It's an early time scale are you modelling Grahame CCT don't do anything for GWR pre 47 as Colin said HMRS no 11 like wise it might be worth checking the LNER,LMS or SR sheets failing that check this company out . 

https://drdtransfers.com/

Bob

Edit Is there a Link you can give us Kevin?

Edited by 81C

Thank you to all of the helpful suggestions / replies to my query about transfers, very much appreciated.

Hope you didn't mind Rob ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Great photos Robin.

9400 needs to be restored to active steam in my eyes... ;)

Also doesn't seem that many years ago since I was hauled by 3717 on the GCR at Loughborough. I last saw her at the NRM York sat proudly on the turntable.  Again another loco that needs it's ticket renewing... ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

Interesting to see that 'City of Truro' still has the error foisted upon it by the NRM at its last repaint - and at the same time they have said that because of its historical importance they are not prepared for it to be overhauled for return to steam.  Somewhat amusingly when the SVR painted one side of it black for that spoof picture they didn't make the error that the NRM have made.

And Bob - I wouldn't go on the idea of using an MRRC 005 in your 47XX, the bearings and overall quality of the motor won't be up to the sort of loads you have in mind.  An original MW 005 would be ok but when teh design was sold to MRRC's owners they cut corners in production and reduced the overall quality to get the price down so I've been told by the bloke who designed the motor.

Collett buffet car from The Bristolian

attachicon.gifDSCN1898 (2).JPG

Blimey ! 

If you enlarge this photo and look at the seats it makes you wonder quite what was in the food they served !!!  :jester:

Did the GWR have their own recipe for curry ?

W. Indyman

• RMweb Gold

Snap!..........well almost..... I dillied and dallied and had to make do with the LMS variant.....pah! as Mr Duck would say

What are you going to put on them Robin? I have an Oxford Sherman on pre order......I will have to repaint it and seek MIBs advice about removing machine guns and stuff.

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting to see that 'City of Truro' still has the error foisted upon it by the NRM at its last repaint - and at the same time they have said that because of its historical importance they are not prepared for it to be overhauled for return to steam.  Somewhat amusingly when the SVR painted one side of it black for that spoof picture they didn't make the error that the NRM have made.

And Bob - I wouldn't go on the idea of using an MRRC 005 in your 47XX, the bearings and overall quality of the motor won't be up to the sort of loads you have in mind.  An original MW 005 would be ok but when teh design was sold to MRRC's owners they cut corners in production and reduced the overall quality to get the price down so I've been told by the bloke who designed the motor.

Sorry Mike it is a MW005 I couldn't remember/wasn't sure of the name/number, it was Bl00dy powerful in a Wills King can't remember it ever slipped even with 12 on.

As for the City of Truro I've a NRM one wasting away in its box somewhere, it seemed all wrong I never was happy with it.

• RMweb Gold

Snap!..........well almost..... I dillied and dallied and had to make do with the LMS variant.....pah! as Mr Duck would say

What are you going to put on them Robin? I have an Oxford Sherman on pre order......I will have to repaint it and seek MIBs advice about removing machine guns and stuff.

Cheers

They're not mine John and the shed foreman, Tommy Traddles, has just thrown a spanner at me after seeing an unusual shed visitor. :O  :jester:  :rtfm:

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Mike it is a MW005 I couldn't remember/wasn't sure of the name/number, it was Bl00dy powerful in a Wills King can't remember it ever slipped even with 12 on.

As for the City of Truro I've a NRM one wasting away in its box somewhere, it seemed all wrong I never was happy with it.

The MW version is definitely the one to have Bob.  I spoke to its designer and original manufacturer  (while waiting in the Doc's surgery one day a few months back) and Geoff said he took a lot of care in designing the windings and in manufacture.

The amusing thing about the most recent Bachmann 'City of Truro' model is that they've copied the NRM's error so there is a model which accurately portrays an incorrect detail on the prototype.  Meanwhile, spurred on by views of a Collett buffet car, for those considering a meal on the train here is what they other lot had on offer at one time for those speeding towards SOSJ

post-6859-0-82167400-1504024471_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

John,

Go for the 72XX - everyone knows that a HUGE tank engine never offends.

I guess a combination of Tinker, Bob and Andy convinced me..............7233 a HUGE 72xx is hopefully about to wing its way to the Pacific North West.

Thank you for your advice and encouragement guys. It was an interesting exercise sourcing the Great Western version. The big box shifters I normally use had sold out but it was available, at varying prices, from a number of smaller shops. The problem was that you had to go right through the ordering, registering and finally checkout process before it turned out they either didnt ship to North America, or didnt deduct VAT or wouldnt let you select a country other than UK......very frustrating. In the end I fired off about 6 emails and only got two replies .....both negative. Hopefully Carriage and Wagon Models .Co will turn up trumps. They had a very slick web site that immediately knew that I was enquiring from Canada and automatically deducted VAT

7233  spent most of its life at Pontypool Road so mine will be renumbered to one of the eight shedded at Oxley Wolverhampton in 1947.

A question for the livery experts:

7233 was built in September 1935.....the shirt button roundel was introduced in June 1934. I can understand delays and omissions in implementing the new livery on existing locos but would have expected new locos turned out over a year later to bear the new livery...........and yet I imagine Hornby must have carried out appropriate research and I dont recall a great wailing and gnashing of teeth about this model carrying "Great Western"..........can anyone enlighten me?

I have to say the roundel would look pretty minute on the side such a HUGE tank

Cheers

John

• Like 4