A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Smoke deflectors make an express engine. The Southern was very fond of them from Moguls to Nelsons and IMO improved the appearance of these classes.

Brian.

I agree, however the thunderous exhaust of the single chimney WR machine made flectorators unnecessary IMO

Al Clear

• RMweb Premium

Just realised I have mentioned thunderous exhaust just after the mention of Sprouts.............................................

first clip features my relatives.........and if that is Clapton I'll buy you a cream bun.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Mannheim+Steamroller+Classical+Gas&&view=detail&mid=325FD89FC6A6701DB8A7325FD89FC6A6701DB8A7&rvsmid=DCE6C84345DB8B2A715CDCE6C84345DB8B2A715C&FORM=VDQVAP

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Mannheim+Steamroller+Classical+Gas&&view=detail&mid=DCE6C84345DB8B2A715CDCE6C84345DB8B2A715C&&FORM=VRDGAR

Philth

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

As a primarily SR man, I like the King Arthurs, but they don't have that slightly aggressive look that the Castles :threaten:  and Jubilees :tender: have.

What they do have is the most aesthetically pleasing (try typing that when your'e p!ssed) smoke deflectors; luvverly curves!

Glenn (I must get out more often!)

How can a pink engine look aggressive.  :sarcastic:

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Gold

Some clever ba####d will now produce some hilarious pics of Castles and Jubs with Flectorators

I have to admit that Jubs are one of my fave loco's too, probably after seeing the Barrow Road pets double heading the Duchy out of Templer Meadicals in about 1963.

Look at the Arthurs, Nelsons (almost Royal Scots) and S15s in their early days with no flectors.....beasts.

The Early Arthur's also had a hideous smoke box door adornment - a Smoke box door handle ;)

That’s right Ducky - No need for del flectoratoration on them there Castles - a nice strong exhaust beat to start with...

Deflectors always put me in mind of a racehorse with blinkers on!

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just realised I have mentioned thunderous exhaust just after the mention of Sprouts.............................................

first clip features my relatives.........and if that is Clapton I'll buy you a cream bun.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Mannheim+Steamroller+Classical+Gas&&view=detail&mid=325FD89FC6A6701DB8A7325FD89FC6A6701DB8A7&rvsmid=DCE6C84345DB8B2A715CDCE6C84345DB8B2A715C&FORM=VDQVAP

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Mannheim+Steamroller+Classical+Gas&&view=detail&mid=DCE6C84345DB8B2A715CDCE6C84345DB8B2A715C&&FORM=VRDGAR

Philth

Nice to see a video of your relatives enjoying themselves.

I'm with you, it don't sound like Clapton.

• RMweb Premium

Some clever ba####d will now produce some hilarious pics of Castles and Jubs with Flectorators

I have to admit that Jubs are one of my fave loco's too, probably after seeing the Barrow Road pets double heading the Duchy out of Templer Meadicals in about 1963.

Look at the Arthurs, Nelsons (almost Royal Scots) and S15s in their early days with no flectors.....beasts.

Jubilees (almost Royal Scots) Comet and Phoenix had smoke deflectors.  

• RMweb Premium

10 minutes? I haven't soldered brass in over 25 years  :O

Hot and quick, like a beautiful woman............or man, or someone..............

You will love it and gain great pleasure from the experience. Little tip, they can be quite flimsy. Are you using a Poppy?

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Hot and quick, like a beautiful woman............or man, or someone..............

You will love it and gain great pleasure from the experience. Little tip, they can be quite flimsy. Are you using a Poppy?

Phil

I was a Tinsmith by trade, so mechanical joints and silver soldering/welding are more my comfort zone and an extensive armoury of hammers are my weapons of choice ;)

Erm aside from being a plant used in the drugs industry - what do you mean by poppy?

Edited by toboldlygo

• RMweb Gold

I have an excellent Bachmann Mk1 CK [39-129A] in chocolate and cream going spare if anyone wants to make me an offer by pm. :read:

Are you making way for some Hawksworths ? after connector butchery naturally.