A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Drew,

Silly question ( or stating the obvious ? ) can I ask if she will get a Mainline Running ticket some time in the future ?

Hi BGman,

As I understand it, no, not in the foreseeable future sadly but she will be out and about on tour once she has paid her dues to Didcot. Let’s jist say SEVERAL railways have expressed an interest...

All the best,

Castle

A little bit of progress sees my Dean Goods cab interior being test fitted tonight, although its another cruel close-up and the second attempt due to some, well lets say ill fitting from the original kit, I've recycled the parts to produce this....

post-20303-0-15556300-1542569876_thumb.jpeg

It'll do for me as its taking far too long a build but at least I now know my shortfalls and still finding it fun to do and learn the intricacies of building in O Gauge.

S.Cratchyhead

p.s. I did ask around about obtaining suitable dial faces ( when I get to fit them ) but can't seem to find any decent ones yet, any ideas chaps ?

Edited by bgman
  • Like 6

black!, Black!, BLACK!, BLACK Mother!!! ... now, now Johnny.

Saintly!

Fortunately black is only temporary until it gets painted in glorious Great Western green! Then it will indeed be a really great Great Western locomotive. Looking forward to the Atlantic version; now that would really be something different and worthy of any Hall's sacrifice for a good cause.

• RMweb Gold

if she will get a Mainline Running ticket

Depends on whether she can afford only a single or a return.

By appearances she ought to qualify for an Mature Persons Railcard, but looks can be deceptive.

Edited by Captain Kernow

Fortunately black is only temporary until it gets painted in glorious Great Western green! Then it will indeed be a really great Great Western locomotive. Looking forward to the Atlantic version; now that would really be something different and worthy of any Hall's sacrifice for a good cause.

Hi Brian,

The brushes will being warmed up as we speak... It will be in as early a livery as this version will stand - as much lining as you can handle!

As to the 4-4-2 - it’s not an easy conversion. To get the frames to hold the outside bearings for the trailing wheel set on means lifting the boiler. There will also need to be a touch more fundraising for a new pair of coupling rods.

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As to the 4-4-2 - it’s not an easy conversion. To get the frames to hold the outside bearings for the trailing wheel set on means lifting the boiler. There will also need to be a touch more fundraising for a new pair of coupling rods.

But it's got to be easier than getting a Hattons 14XX to run properly, surely?

• Like 1

Dial Faces-R-Us.

Woolworths.

Fortnum & Mason.

Dial Faces-R-Us.  In receivership

Woolworths.          Not open on a Sunday

Fortnum & Mason.   I don't like food too posh !

But thank you for the thought its really appreciated.  :scratchhead:

Hi BGman,

Have your thought about getting a few photos and just printing them out on decal paper? You just need to paint the face of your model dial white and lay the decal on top. A touch of gloss varnish will simulate the glass. There are quite often GWR gauges being sold on eBay so you should be able to get a picture.

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

Hi BGman,

Have your thought about getting a few photos and just printing them out on decal paper? You just need to paint the face of your model dial white and lay the decal on top. A touch of gloss varnish will simulate the glass. There are quite often GWR gauges being sold on eBay so you should be able to get a picture.

All the best,

Castle

I was going to suggest the same, but it was more fun to think of Grahame asking for dial faces in Fortnum & Woolworths-R-Us.

Dial Faces-R-Us.  In receivership

Woolworths.          Not open on a Sunday

Fortnum & Mason.   I don't like food too posh !

But thank you for the thought its really appreciated.  :scratchhead:

Alright then, try Farrow & Ball.

Or Lloyds Bank.

Edited by Captain Kernow

Hi BGman,

All the best,

Castle

I have tried that to be honest and I found the resolution, once reduced to be rather vague and not really satisfactory.

I have fabricated the dials and painted the inside using an off-white in preparation for a completed version.

Thanks Drew.

I was going to suggest the same, but it was more fun to think of Grahame asking for dial faces in Fortnum & Woolworths-R-Us.

Or Lloyds Bank.

When did she join up with Micheal ?

Are they doing an Opera together now ?

Or Lloyds Bank.

Don't trust 'em, ever since they stopped serving trifle on a Saturday at the Horrocksford Branch.

I remain yours,

Ever Hopeful.

• RMweb Gold

I have tried that to be honest and I found the resolution, once reduced to be rather vague and not really satisfactory.

I have fabricated the dials and painted the inside using an off-white in preparation for a completed version.

Thanks Drew.

In the recent Gauge O Gazette there were some photos of a King by Malcom Mitchell. His dials were exceptional looking. Wonder of he sells them?

In the recent Gauge O Gazette there were some photos of a King by Malcom Mitchell. His dials were exceptional looking. Wonder of he sells them?

Hi Colin, thank you I will follow it up.

Mind you a Kings Dials mounted in a Dean could be misconstrued !

G

Or - how about getting a set done via Railtech Transfers of this parish?

All the best,

Castle

I was literally just looking at the site !!!

Mainly for lining ( nothing there for what I wanted ) but worth an ask eh !

Thanks

G

Thanks Drew.

Try these

post-1733-0-77867400-1542597575_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hmmmmmm  so if you whip the front drivers off and stuff some trolley wheels under her instead,  that has got my mind whirring:

1.  The bearings on the 2 remaining drivers will wear whilst the 4-6-0 rod won't........  good cost saving there, but then putting the 4-6-0 configuration back together will have a mismatch of driver spigots - the rear two pairs will be smaller through wear.

2.  The engine, when returned to 4-6-0 configuration, will adopt what is known in the Kustom Car fraternity as a "Cowboy rake" because the front drivers will be taller............... 

Or is someone going to sit at the back of the shed in Didcot with some emery and lots of tea?

Hmmmmmm  so if you whip the front drivers off and stuff some trolley wheels under her instead,  that has got my mind whirring:

1.  The bearings on the 2 remaining drivers will wear whilst the 4-6-0 rod won't........  good cost saving there, but then putting the 4-6-0 configuration back together will have a mismatch of driver spigots - the rear two pairs will be smaller through wear.

2.  The engine, when returned to 4-6-0 configuration, will adopt what is known in the Kustom Car fraternity as a "Cowboy rake" because the front drivers will be taller............... 

Or is someone going to sit at the back of the shed in Didcot with some emery and lots of tea?

As long as there is tea, anything can be achieved...

All the best,

Castle

Try these

Please excuse the rather out of focus photo ( iPhone ) but I've fitted them to the gauges and happy with the results, thank you.

post-20303-0-67296000-1542729657_thumb.jpeg

G

• Like 3