A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Sorry mate I'm skint I've just shelled out on a new Android Phone so I can talk to my TV and haven't got a bloody clue on how to turn the sodding thing on.

If the chimney is wrong on the Hall "247" do brass one for when you sent it to TBG for a battle with the hairbrush.

(Fairey) Battle? I've done two of those :triniti: :triniti:

I'm struggling to get near the workbench, due to all the rolling stock and Loco's I've got to do - I've had another 14 loco's, 9 assorted pieces of Rolling Stock, a Parkside Beetle kit, 30 Modelu loco crew & 9 packs of Modelu GWR Lamps arrive to work on :O

That's on top of 3 Castle's, 9 Collett Coaches, a 93xx and 5 Bachmann Mk.1's to do for various Members of ANTB :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

Edit: Forgot add that one of the Loco's and the 9 assorted pieces of rolling stock are P4, so I got sent a section of track for them as well!

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

(Fairey) Battle? I've done two of those  :triniti:  :triniti:

I'm struggling to get near the workbench, due to all the rolling stock and Loco's I've got to do - I've had another 14 loco's, 9 assorted pieces of Rolling Stock, a Parkside Beetle kit, 30 Modelu loco crew & 9 packs of Modelu GWR Lamps to work on  :O

That's on top of 3 Castle's, 9 Collett Coaches, a 93xx and 5 Bachmann Mk.1's to do for various Members of ANTB  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

Edit: Forgot add that one of the Loco's and the 9 assorted pieces of rolling stock are P4, so I got sent a section of track for them as well!

As you are not busy could I ask you to take on my fleet of Packets and Spams? Only about 40 need doing and they are all Finescale 00 so very easy to handle (Oh, only about half need renumbering etc.).

Thanks in anticipation,

A. Barsteward

• RMweb Gold

As you are not busy could I ask you to take on my fleet of Packets and Spams? Only about 40 need doing and they are all Finescale 00 so very easy to handle (Oh, only about half need renumbering etc.).

Thanks in anticipation,

A. Barsteward

Not a problem, I let my 6 year old Niece do them - she's very good with poster paints and crayon's ;) :D

• RMweb Gold

Us grockles keep the West Country tourism industry going every year.

Be honest. Can anyone recognise the difference between natives of Devon and Cornwall and tourists these days?

Nothing under the sun is more certain than the fact that without tourists and their cash,both counties will revert to a subsistence economy.Posh nosh or pilchards.....posting as one who loves both counties...but not driving there or around the diabolical roads of the South Hams but would hypocritically do so to eat at The Sea Horse on Dartmouth Quay....so there....hurrrumph.

• Like 1

Be honest. Can anyone recognise the difference between natives of Devon and Cornwall and tourists these days?

Nothing under the sun is more certain than the fact that without tourists and their cash,both counties will revert to a subsistence economy.Posh nosh or pilchards.....posting as one who loves both counties...but not driving there or around the diabolical roads of the South Hams but would hypocritically do so to eat at The Sea Horse on Dartmouth Quay....so there....hurrrumph.

Interesting point Ian, when watching local news items shown on either BBC Spotlight South West or the other channel down here those being interviewed rarely seem to have a "local" accent.

• RMweb Premium

Is the Cherub still going? Thirty-odd years ago that was a top place for fish - the best John Dory I have ever tasted.

E. Ronay.

• RMweb Gold

Is the Cherub still going? Thirty-odd years ago that was a top place for fish - the best John Dory I have ever tasted.

E. Ronay.

Now owned and run by one Mitch Tonks,late of Fishworks in Bath and London.He also has the chippy Rockfish next door..And I agree about the John Dory or anything the guy cooks. On a par with Rick Stein.Hence not cheap.

Many people from Middle England have a dream of a golden retirement in Cornwall.We have or I should say had in the case of one of them a couple of dear friends who invested in a mobile home near Mevagissey..He after a couple of years there began to talk of the way “tourists “ drove around their country roads....says it all,doesn’t it ?

• RMweb Gold

Nothing under the sun is more certain than the fact that without tourists and their cash,both counties will revert to a subsistence economy.

Indeed. I believe Cornwall is England’s poorest county. There is no real work apart from the tourst industry, and because most of the county is occupied by retired folk from elsewhere, housing is very expensive. Doc Martin and Rick Stein have hardly helped. Port Isaac and Padstow are very different from the places I knew in the ‘60s. So any young locals can either look forward to no future or ship out. Devon is a bit better, but has the same syndrome. In both places, the increasing age profile means healthcare resources are more than stretched, and as in the rest of the UK the Brexit threat has caused many of those from Europe in modest but vital jobs like nursing to clutter off home.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting point Ian, when watching local news items shown on either BBC Spotlight South West or the other channel down here those being interviewed rarely seem to have a "local" accent.

Hi Grahame

What constitutes a local? My friends moved to Cornwall soon after they got married in the 1980s. Both are nurses and have contributed to the community not only in their work but being active locally to where they live. Their children were born in Cornwall and are now off at university. Are they still incomers or now locals. They still have their Essex accents.

People have always moved around, what is the saying " At the bottom of every mine is a Cornish miner" from the days when the tin miners moved from Cornwall to dig out coal.

• RMweb Premium

Now owned and run by one Mitch Tonks,late of Fishworks in Bath and London.He also has the chippy Rockfish next door..And I agree about the John Dory or anything the guy cooks. On a par with Rick Stein.Hence not cheap.

Many people from Middle England have a dream of a golden retirement in Cornwall.We have or I should say had in the case of one of them a couple of dear friends who invested in a mobile home near Mevagissey..He after a couple of years there began to talk of the way “tourists “ drove around their country roads....says it all,doesn’t it ?

Good to know Ian - it would be nice to pay another visit one day...

Regarding your second paragraph, I know we all have different perspectives on things but "golden retirement" and "mobile home" wouldn't be my idea of a dream.

• RMweb Gold

I've lived here for many years, but I'm still not a 'local'.

But where else would I live? Haverfordwest, Horrocksford? Blubberhouses, even? - nah, too much pi** taking of these places.

Edited by Captain Kernow

Hi Grahame

What constitutes a local? My friends moved to Cornwall soon after they got married in the 1980s. Both are nurses and have contributed to the community not only in their work but being active locally to where they live. Their children were born in Cornwall and are now off at university. Are they still incomers or now locals. They still have their Essex accents.

People have always moved around, what is the saying " At the bottom of every mine is a Cornish miner" from the days when the tin miners moved from Cornwall to dig out coal.

I agree totally Clive. 

I moved here over 30 years ago from Oxfordshire, having originated from Cheshire. It is the longest that I've lived and worked in one County and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else to be honest. I have contributed to the local area in many ways and despite the accent thing and having my leg pulled many times about it many here who know me treat me as local........which reminds me of this for some strange reason.....

post-20303-0-65603600-1543323684.jpg

My daughter was born in Exeter, moved away to foreign parts ( Truro ) for several years to work and is now back in Exeter.

People have always been transient in respect of work I suppose over the centuries, but many seem to come back to their roots, as my daughter has.

G

p.s.  Please support your candidate in the next "LOCAL" elections !

post-20303-0-98888900-1543323710_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I agree totally Clive. 

I moved here over 30 years ago from Oxfordshire, having originated from Cheshire. It is the longest that I've lived and worked in one County and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else to be honest. I have contributed to the local area in many ways and despite the accent thing and having my leg pulled many times about it many here who know me treat me as local........which reminds me of this for some strange reason.....

attachicon.gif86d660fd-f8da-4af8-9723-d4d275940e56_l.jpg

My daughter was born in Exeter, moved away to foreign parts ( Truro ) for several years to work and is now back in Exeter.

People have always been transient in respect of work I suppose over the centuries, but many seem to come back to their roots, as my daughter has.

G

p.s.  Please support your candidate in the next "LOCAL" elections !

attachicon.gifBmxdJQ6IMAAd6rz.jpg

It was all the fault of the bliddy 'orse and then even worse when the Bicycle was introduced. Meant folk could get about, both for work and for 'romance'. But then the railways arrived and whoosh.........the world changed forever. :declare: 

Therebe Strangers

• RMweb Premium

It was all the fault of the bliddy 'orse and then even worse when the Bicycle was introduced. Meant folk could get about, both for work and for 'romance'. But then the railways arrived and whoosh.........the world changed forever. :declare:

Therebe Strangers

I know, if it weren't for you having a bike you wouldn't have ended up in Retford. The locals are still trying to raise the funds to fix the puncture. :nono: :nono:

I know, if it weren't for you having a bike you wouldn't have ended up in Retford. The locals are still trying to raise the funds to fix the puncture. :nono: :nono:

I shouldn't worry too much about the puncture Clive he's got loads of horse power left to get him outa trouble !

post-20303-0-55080700-1543327458_thumb.jpg

D.Onkeypower

• Like 1