A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Hi Rob, back  to the Hawksworth coaches, I was lucky last year to pickup four Hornby's, 3 all first and 1 brake 3rd. There was also a full brake but I ran out of funds!, I'am sure they fell off the back of a truck! I managed to talk down the seller to AU$25 each + p&h from UK toTasmania. At the time I had no idea of the rrp.(I don't think she did either). Wish i swapped a 1st for the full brake now knowing the rrp. Anyway behind a King or a Castle they look great, here's mine on my unfinished unnamed layout hauled by Kenilworth Castle. Just makes the end of my timeline, whew.

DSCF4720.jpg

• Like 12

On 27/02/2019 at 22:26, 81C said:

First 3 of 8 coaches ordered have arrived along with other goodies a trip to Alton is a must.:dance_mini:

Clive there are photo's in the GWR special section on full brakes not sure what page but there isn't that many and the bogies are 9 footers Bachmann do these,

I can PM photo's of these to you if you need them.

Good Sunday morning all.

Just to be picky, the full brake bogies are not the same as the Bachmann ones. They use the same frame but the springs were different as they were 'heavy duty' due to the loads. In model form the nearest I have found is the 247 Developments C620 (from Gary Wells days) but the springs are still too long. They were instantly recognisable by the small foot steps, compared to the longer steps of general passenger 9ft bogies, and the short spring arrangement. Comet have always offered the Bachmann type with their full brakes kits but look at images of the prototype and you should find the small footsteps. There are several vans in preservation where you can see the differences.

Mike Wiltshire

9ft NPC.jpg

K40001.jpg

9ft small step.jpg

Edited by Coach bogie
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

Good Sunday morning all.

Just to be picky, the full brake bogies are not the same as the Bachmann ones. They use the same frame but the springs were different as they were 'heavy duty' due to the loads. In model form the nearest I have found is the 247 Developments C620 (from Gary Wells days) but the springs are still too long. They were instantly recognisable by the small foot steps, compared to the longer steps of general passenger 9ft bogies, and the short spring arrangement. Comet have always offered the Bachmann type with their full brakes kits but look at images of the prototype and you should find the small footsteps. There are several vans in preservation where you can see the differences.

Mike Wiltshire

9ft NPC.jpg

K40001.jpg

9ft small step.jpg

Thanks for pointing that out I've been misinformed by others on here, I will seek penance and go to confession. :biggrin_mini2: 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

A few shots to hopefully brighten a lousy day weather wise. 7220 again.

773686556_DSCN4939(2).JPG.fe0489b9399b81487a607fbe659d86f1.JPG411768455_DSCN4940(2).JPG.e2cdefc5791f3b3eee13bb4e346db608.JPG653737716_DSCN4941(2).JPG.911ef51fbcbca75351e4bb45b8f74bbe.JPG1270597766_DSCN4942(2).JPG.22290e1415a3fddfa131d03102ba0b9c.JPG

Cripes, I did 7220 nearly a year ago (finished 18th March) :O

In the meantime here's a very big hint to what I'm building ;)

SeaHornet_10.jpg.c8ce9f5a2ba883c7e7f19d0933dc532b.jpg

All the assemblies are dry fitted - so no glue ;)

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Cripes, I did 7220 nearly a year ago (finished 18th March) :O

In the meantime here's a very big hint to what I'm building ;)

SeaHornet_10.jpg.c8ce9f5a2ba883c7e7f19d0933dc532b.jpg

All the assemblies are dry fitted - so no glue ;)

DH.103 Sea Hornet NF.21

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

DH.103 Sea Hornet NF.21

Correct :sungum: Bonus points if you can name the manufacturer of the kit and no googling it  - you have till I post a blog entry;)

9 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

That’s an Osprey, but you should have fixed the engines to the wingtips.

The Osprey has far larger props and is far larger overall:jester:

11 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Correct :sungum: Bonus points if you can name the manufacturer of the kit and no googling it  - you have till I post a blog entry;)

The Osprey has far larger props and is far larger overall:jester:

Trumpeter 1/48

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

Will be interesting to see the colour of the 1903 livery. Red or grey school...

Seems the airbrush will have to be fired up then !

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, bgman said:

Seems the airbrush will have to be fired up then !

I don't think they've said what the 1903 one will be yet. Maybe we should ask, could also help them avoid a potential mistake.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

As Robin considers Double Chimney Castles Carbuncles - here's the censored version of my latest Castle commission :jester: 

5069_lh_censored.jpg.cf911aee61a7ae48de52dc7ddc17a42a.jpg

Here's the uncensored one...

I am actually glad you did that because the one you censored looks bl##dy awful from the side on view (not your work, the bliddy daft chimney)  ….. and I like DCs as you know. Shirley that wasn't the one it really had for ever was it? Just looks huge and daft. maybe I have only really seem the DCs from the front or from far away?

P

• Agree 1