A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
On 14/05/2019 at 18:30, bgman said:

Perhaps you could send Mike a PM Rob, I'm sure he would be happy to help you.

G

Somebody did!!  So morning all and I'm not boycotting this thread but one or two folk know why I don't spend so much time on here nowadays and as part of not spending so much time I've tended to only occasionally dip into layout threads.

So yes - the 1895 diagram shows what could at first be taken for Inner and Outer Distants on all lines at Brent but if George Pryer got the details right (and that seems to be the case in respect of these signals) that is not exactly what they were but that what appeared to be Inner Distants were actually repeaters for their respective Home Signals and worked by the same lever as that Home Signal.   In effect they were almost a sort of archaic version of a banner repeater and quite how the mechanism was arranged I haven't a clue; there would have been at least two different ways of doing it :help:

In respect of the Down Main Home, approached on a rising gradient in a curved cutting, this arrangement made considerable sense and was more economical of lever frame space than the use of Inner and Outer Distants worked by separate levers as was the case on the Down Main at Dainton Siding.  In addition as the repeater was relatively close to the Home Signal to which it applied it wouldn't have made  much sense to have it worked by a separate lever anyway.

The repeater for the Branch Home makes considerably less sense to me as approach speeds would in any case have been low although there is once again a curve with poor sighting involved.  Similarly the repeater for the Up Home seems on the face of it to have not made too much sense either as the gradient is falling towards Brent and the sighting of the Home Signal, although approached on a curve, was probably better and certainly not as critical as that for the Down Home.  Overall I wonder if the fact that it was done for one Home Signal meant it was decided by 'somebody' to be consistent and do it for all three?

The interesting question is what Instructions existed - if any - in respect of these signals and whether or not Drivers understood them to be repeaters rather than Inner Distant Signals as there would have been a fundamental difference between the meaning of the two.  I do wonder if their use was perhaps experimental but I can find nothing about them in the Minute Books I have.  I haven't come across this particular arrangement elsewhere on the GWR although the Company made use of Inner and Outer  Distant Signals and, somewhat unusually, used repeating Home Signals in situations where the Inner Home Signal was a splitting signal.  The latter were gradually dispensed during the 1920s and there were reportedly (according to the minute books) only a few left towards the end of that decade.   I tend to think that, unless they had gone earlier, the same might have happened with these repeaters at Brent and if they had survived that long they would definitely have gone from the Main Lines when the refuge sidings were converted to loops in the 1930s while the one on the branch would have gone in 1937 (if it had lasted that long).

In some respects they have a slight similarity to the 'hurry up' distants installed on the GC main line but those definitely worked as distant signal notwithstanding the fact that they were situated as a lower arm beneath the Home Signal - I haven't (yet?) come across any instance of the GWR doing that.

So I hope that helps and sorry I can't be more positive about various details

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, bgman said:

Through the medium that is ANTB I would like to advise "the mob gang" that I may not be here as frequently over the next week.

I have successfully sold my house and intend moving tomorrow to the new one. This will mean a short period of internet-less connexion so please revel in my absence !

I am very much looking forward to having a loooooong soak in a hot bath this weekend.

G

p.s. there may well be a beer ( or two ) involved :bye:

Bathing in hot beer! How decadent!

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I'd like to know, by the way, why the LNER is inveigling itself into my locomotive rosters.

That's four of 'em now.

Is a roster some sort of fitting for a Pannier that makes it less offensive?

Talking of offensive, I took a trip on a Zoomer today. Offensive it was not, acceptable it was (but only on the thing for two, short 30 minute trips), exceptional it definitely was not. It were 800102 and a short report is appearing elsewhere, but the bog door in my first class coach (L) didn't work when the thing is stopped on a slightly elevated curve (if that is the term for leaning over a bit?).

Ar$£

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I'd like to know, by the way, why the LNER is inveigling itself into my locomotive rosters.

Not just locomotives, wagons too in my case.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, 45568 said:

My latest example of "Occasional Great Westernry"...

Peckett_1151_004.JPG.e2f10249c652106e7b7d3d1f6609762b.JPG

How I did it..

Now back to the East Midlands!

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Oh dear, the (RSPP*) Royal Society for the Protection of Peckett's* may want a word with you :jester:

*In affiliation with the MiM** - they do the dirty work :sungum:

** The Men in Malachite for the un-interrogated***

*** Ask Spams ;)  

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

Oh dear, the (RSPP*) Royal Society for the Protection of Peckett's* may want a word with you :jester:

*In affiliation with the MiM** - they do the dirty work :sungum:

** The Men in Malachite for the un-interrogated***

*** Ask Spams ;)  

I'd better keep quiet about my planned conversion of a Hornby Peckett into a Port of Par Bagnall then...

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, mattingleycustom said:

Robin,

I'd almost forgotten this one; a 2013 job according to my records.

No.7200 still looks good, suitably massive and purposeful, a really imposing loco design.

Glenn

Not seen another one anywhere in that livery.I wonder if Hornby will ever release it again.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Not seen another one anywhere in that livery.I wonder if Hornby will ever release it again.

CA971D79-B112-449C-A0A1-885793691075.jpeg.57c0ab9cba143cca3ace95b6cbee5fbf.jpeg

I went for 7250 for mine, looks wise one of my favourite classes.  Everything is just so ridiculously proportioned!

Still not sure what I will use it for on my Brent, but it will fit in somewhere!

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Livery ? Only “livery” as such was a degree of filth etc......except when occasionally outshopped from works.

Aberdare ( 86 J ) had 7216 as it’s favourite.Known to reach as far as Salisbury with freight.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Livery ? Only “livery” as such was a degree of filth etc......except when occasionally outshopped from works.

Aberdare ( 86 J ) had 7216 as it’s favourite.Known to reach as far as Salisbury with freight.

Salisbury? That's almost Seaton Junction. Wonder if they ever sneaked down to Yeovil?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Pen Mill or Junction ?  Unlikely in the former and never in the latter. 

Well I'd never say never as there were diversions down through there when the poor old WR was having 'issues'. I'm hedging towards Rule 1 here :pleasantry:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Well I'd never say never as there were diversions down through there when the poor old WR was having 'issues'. I'm hedging towards Rule 1 here :pleasantry:

Good point that. But how common was the use of these heavy tanks between Bristol and Exeter in any case ? It would be interesting to know.My knowledge of their workings is in a time warp between 1950 and 1960 when they were the main event in South Wales freight 24/7.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Good point that. But how common was the use of these heavy tanks between Bristol and Exeter in any case ? It would be interesting to know.My knowledge of their workings is in a time warp between 1950 and 1960 when they were the main event in South Wales freight 24/7.

No idea Ian but they did turn up at Laira Occasionally and one worked down Bodmin I think? The situation with diversions in an emergency  produced some weird loco's on the SR to and from Exeter. Great fun for operating sessions. Quite often it was Bristol engines and those from (say) Taunton and or Westbury; anything that  oved quitter often. Got evidence of a 63XX on the Royal Duchy (think it was that) for example and a Spam on the Cornish Rev going east. Such fun.

Since the Hornybee Terrier has been reintroduced I am searching for the records of that Class being used for an Enthusiasts' special down the Seaton Branch:swoon:

P

Edited by Mallard60022
Daft grammar!
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

No idea Ian but they did turn up at Laira Occasionally and one worked down Bodmin I think? The situation with diversions in an emergency  produced some weird loco's on the SR to and from Exeter. Great fun for operating sessions. Quite often it was Bristol engines and those from (say) Taunton and or Westbury; anything that  oved quitter often. Got evidence of a 63XX on the Royal Duchy (think it was that) for example and a Spam on the Cornish Rev going east. Such fun.

Since the Hornybee Terrier has been reintroduced I am searching for the records of that Class being used for an Enthusiasts' special down the Seaton Branch:swoon:

P

Just searched my Norman Lockett. Nary a faint whisper of one freight tank.

• Friendly/supportive 2