A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Those 2-8-2s do look like something. They ooze power. "Don't mess with me, or I'll pull yer drawbar out!" Quite attractive in a locomotive. 

Mainly associated with South Wales but Newton did have three in my period.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Those 2-8-2s do look like something. They ooze power. "Don't mess with me, or I'll pull yer drawbar out!" Quite attractive in a locomotive. 

Hmm, I prefer the 2-8-0Ts. The 2-8-2Ts just look a bit overstretched or exaggerated to me.

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have photos of them on Dainton and approaching Brent but I would have also assumed them working the Kingwear coal trains too. Not sure they were used as bankers as Newton had plenty of 41xx/51xx for that job.

Found this photo of 7204 taken at Paignton/Goodrington Yard.7204a.jpg.c5518c22ba30766d201dcb1d05e29c92.jpg

7204.jpg.dc7aa97b9de31aea20e24736e4ba973e.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
add a photo
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

May I just take this opportunity to say that I didn't mean to start a whole new discussion on jazz.

I think I'd rather talk about the LNER.

Of course, you could have a discussion about both at once  http://www.gjdms.org.uk/the-jazz.html

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

May I just take this opportunity to say that I didn't mean to start a whole new discussion on jazz.

I think I'd rather talk about the LNER.

No!  Surely not!  Not that.  Please not that.  Anything but that!  Lets Not Even Repeat that, ever!  Please!:O

Brian.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

On 28/11/2018 at 12:01, Miss Prism said:

post-133-0-83409900-1543406230.jpg

In my caption to the above pic on the 4-coupled tanks page of gwr.org, I noted, as an aside, "Note the short distance between the distant on the down main and its home signal."

Keith Ettle has contacted me and suggested that there could have been two distants for Brent outer down home, and suggested the same also applied to the branch, each pair of distants being worked by the a single lever.

I don't know. I was not aware two working distants could protect a home, but I suppose it would go some way to explain the proximity of the 'inner distant' to the home in the pic.

Over to you, signalling experts!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

It's a shame Mike Stationmaster no longer contributes to this thread as I'm sure he would have had an opinion Miss P.:mellow:

Perhaps you could send Mike a PM Rob, I'm sure he would be happy to help you.

G

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

The 1903 signal diagram shows two distant signals on the up and down lines plus two on the branch. I do not know enough about GWR signalling to explain why.

Neither do I, and I thought I understood GWR practice.  I’ll claim ‘too young’ given the date of the diagram. 

Paul.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the continued 'likes', 7200 certainly didn't offend anyone as it was the most popular shoot of the year. Here she is in sepia for good measure.

1627652979_DSCN5425(2)sepia.jpg.4344aa20aa7df48b57c8d12c1bb3f0ed.jpg

• Like 14