A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Ugh, that's the GE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ar$£

Yes but no but yes but no but the LNER and BR (ER) kept the tradition going. I did read somewhere the turn round on the Enfield and Chingford trains took longer when the electric services were introduced. To save on man power they used the same driver and it took him longer to secure the train then walk down the platform to the other end and sort the train out again than it did for coupling up another loco in steam days. It did however get rid of two shunters, two firemen and one driver. :dontknow: Progress. :good:

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Clive Mortimore said:

Yes but no but yes but no but the LNER and BR (ER) kept the tradition going. I did read somewhere the turn round on the Enfield and Chingford trains took longer when the electric services were introduced. To save on man power they used the same driver and it took him longer to secure the train then walk down the platform to the other end and sort the train out again than it did for coupling up another loco in steam days. It did however get rid of two shunters, two firemen and one driver. :dontknow: Progress. :good:

I liked the Brits on the Norwich racing the Jazzers out of the Station. Great fun.

Also liked the smarty Station Pilots in 1960; very tidy locomotives.

S. T. Ratford

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, colin penfold said:

EU Commission investigation into the sale of the Ricoh Rob. What's the word on the street?

I've managed to find that link but it will mean playing our ‘home ‘ games at St Andrew’s next season. Wasps won’t negotiate with court action on going.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48281254

Edited by gwrrob
Link added
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I wondered if it might lead to a good outcome for the sky blues if the EC rules that there was something unlawful in the sale. They have considerable powers if there was EU funding involved. If there is some more detail on Sky later I will let you know. They have said negotiations are on hold as a result.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, colin penfold said:

I wondered if it might lead to a good outcome for the sky blues if the EC rules that there was something unlawful in the sale. They have considerable powers if there was EU funding involved. If there is some more detail on Sky later I will let you know. They have said negotiations are on hold as a result.

Oi!

Would you lot kindly translate for the rest of us or otherwise communicate using the Queens English?

Ta ever so much.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Can’t find that link but it will mean playing our ‘home ‘ games at St Andrew’s next season. Wasps won’t negotiate with court action on going.

If there's a local playing field couldn't they use that and put their coats down for goalposts ?

A lot cheaper !

K. Wolstenholme

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 3

42 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Oi!

Would you lot kindly translate for the rest of us or otherwise communicate using the Queens English?

Ta ever so much.

I think its something to do with the Coventry School of Ballet and getting new talent from Russia but I believe there might be an embargo.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Oi!

Ta ever so much.

Pot, kettle, black

Horrocksford

:)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, bgman said:

If there's a local playing field couldn't they use that and put their coats down for goalposts ?

A lot cheaper !

K. Wolstenholme

They think it's all over...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, colin penfold said:

Pot, kettle, black

Horrocksford

:)

Actually, darling, the essential subterfuge that is the overarching aesthetic form, cannot be juxtaposed without the subjective elements that are montaged without and within the overall structural conviviality of meaning.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Oi!

Ta ever so much.

Some chap exhibited their layout, Bleakhouse Road , at the Ricoh back in 2014 and everything has kicked off since then Tim. You must have added considerable value to the stadium.:jester:

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Thanks for the continued 'likes', 7200 certainly didn't offend anyone as it was the most popular shoot of the year. Here she is in sepia for good measure.

1627652979_DSCN5425(2)sepia.jpg.4344aa20aa7df48b57c8d12c1bb3f0ed.jpg

Still looking for the "that offends" button. A definite omission.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Still looking for the "that offends" button. A definite omission.

Pops his head above the parapet, lobs a hand grenade in and does a runner to North Cornwall....

• Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Actually, darling, the essential subterfuge that is the overarching aesthetic form, cannot be juxtaposed without the subjective elements that are montaged without and within the overall structural conviviality of meaning.

Oh dear, more deranged gobbledegook! I wish they'd learnt 'I'm proper job Inglish at skool.  :diablo_mini::jester:

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Oh dear, more deranged gobbledegook! I wish they'd learnt 'I'm proper job Inglish at skool.  :diablo_mini::jester:

'Deranged is as deranged does, darling' (Kenneth Branagh)

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 14/05/2019 at 15:43, Mallard60022 said:

I liked the Brits on the Norwich racing the Jazzers out of the Station. Great fun.

Also liked the smarty Station Pilots in 1960; very tidy locomotives.

S. T. Ratford

I have an old copy of Railway World somewhere that records an N7 , a Diesel of some kind , and an electrical thing all going up Bethnal Green Bank together with the N7 out-accelerating the other two !

As for the Brits racing the N7’s it was probably be a bit of a no contest. The N7’s were allowed 4 minutes for the 1.25 miles to Bethnal Green, including the station stop. They could do it easily as the short turn round time at Liverpool St would mean they would still be hot. By contrast the Brits would have a “cold “ start after being at Liv St for perhaps two hours between arriving with one train and leaving with another. The Brit drivers with 115 miles to Norwich in front of them would often make a fairly leisurely start , taking anything up to 5 minutes up  the 1-in-70 to Bethnal Green because they wouldn’t want to blow a nice new fire out of the chimney by thrashing a cold engine   when they could easily claw back a couple of minutes by Chelmsford, once they got warmed up and the superheater kicked in. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jazzer said:

I have an old copy of Railway World somewhere that records an N7 , a Diesel of some kind , and an electrical thing all going up Bethnal Green Bank together with the N7 out-accelerating the other two !

As for the Brits racing the N7’s it was probably be a bit of a no contest. The N7’s were allowed 4 minutes for the 1.25 miles to Bethnal Green, including the station stop. They could do it easily as the short turn round time at Liverpool St would mean they would still be hot. By contrast the Brits would have a “cold “ start after being at Liv St for perhaps two hours between arriving with one train and leaving with another. The Brit drivers with 115 miles to Norwich in front of them would often make a fairly leisurely start , taking anything up to 5 minutes up  the 1-in-70 to Bethnal Green because they wouldn’t want to blow a nice new fire out of the chimney by thrashing a cold engine   when they could easily claw back a couple of minutes by Chelmsford, once they got warmed up and the superheater kicked in. 

Ah! Bethnal Green, now I have a few stories but they can wait.  Anyhow look what I posted on my thread last night.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

Through the medium that is ANTB I would like to advise "the mob gang" that I may not be here as frequently over the next week.

I have successfully sold my house and intend moving tomorrow to the new one. This will mean a short period of internet-less connexion so please revel in my absence !

I am very much looking forward to having a loooooong soak in a hot bath this weekend.

G

p.s. there may well be a beer ( or two ) involved :bye:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9