A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Talking of lovely models...

image.png.7b9ecaae5e1b994d4892337fb0440a8f.png

I need 'someone' to neither confirm nor deny that one of these ran light Engine from OOC or Southall - ish, down the SR from Reading, Basingstoke to Exeter, early 1963 when the WR had taken over, and were considering using a couple as Exeter Bankers to maybe or maybe not replace the Ws, or may or may not to become Shunters up at Meldon, so they could scrap/sell/reallocate the USA.

Merci buckets.

Also, will Brenters please refrain from posting Pics of the Dapol Manor, all shiny and glam, as I definately  and most certainly and without doubt, do not need another, apart from the booked Accurascale one. Thank you.

Finally, Merry Christmas, lest I forget and I hope you are all now well watered?

Philth

PS NIce Castle Rob.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Morning all. Talking of lovely models...

image.png.7b9ecaae5e1b994d4892337fb0440a8f.png

I need 'someone' to neither confirm nor deny that one of these ran light Engine from OOC or Southall - ish, down the SR from Reading, Basingstoke to Exeter, early 1963 when the WR had taken over, and were considering using a couple as Exeter Bankers to maybe or maybe not replace the Ws, or may or may not to become Shunters up at Meldon, so they could scrap/sell/reallocate the USA.

Merci buckets.

Also, will Brenters please refrain from posting Pics of the Dapol Manor, all shiny and glam, as I definately  and most certainly and without doubt, do not need another, apart from the booked Accurascale one. Thank you.

Finally, Merry Christmas, lest I forget and I hope you are all now well watered?

Philth

PS NIce Castle Rob.

I suspect that it should have run via the B&H/W&W/Langport cut-off to get to Ex'ter and not down the LSW.  However it might well have turned left at Castle Canary due to a derailment blocking all lines at Taunton (such things really did happen y'know).

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I suspect that it should have run via the B&H/W&W/Langport cut-off to get to Ex'ter and not down the LSW.  However it might well have turned left at Castle Canary due to a derailment blocking all lines at Taunton (such things really did happen y'know).

It most certainly did, especially flooding and at Exeter's 'Lower Class' place by the River and that is 'my excuse' to run Brassy Engines through SOSJ. Those are already sorted including The Devonian and CRE!

So Mike, you can neither confirm nor deny that this could have occurred and so that is good enough for me :)

Merci bocquets dear heart.

Philth

Edited by Mallard60022
Floods of stuff
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Rob, it would be fun if you had two Spitfires passing, but the more advanced and weirdly coloured one might cause consternation as it invaded ANTB on one of those Crew Familiarisation Turns.

I must investigate Dave's dangly bits.  May I ask which Hunt version have you used on the Staniers? Damn good are they not?

Philth.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

May I ask which Hunt version have you used on the Staniers? Damn good are they not?

I really like them too and I've used the close type on the Staniers which replaced some Kadee 19's I was using. Just waiting for a photo to shew what pipes were on the ends of Maunsell's and I'll do those too.

For the record the Hunt couplings comparison in my opinion are :

Ultra close - Kadee 17

Close - 18

Intermediate - 19

Standard - 20

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, John Besley said:

Rob, your backscene is that taken from the old A38 looking over to the railway across the fields by any chance?

It could well be John as it was taken somewhere in the South Hams by the venerable @Captain Kernow

• Like 3

On 18/08/2022 at 15:39, gwrrob said:

I have high hopes for that Rapido 15xx. We are currently being spoiled with all these goodies on the horizon, we’ve never had it so good.

And everyone should be pleased to know that Rapido has announced the GWR livery 15xx, no 1500, is moving forward now in production! (Since before it was just an expression of interest)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ribird said:

And everyone should be pleased to know that Rapido has announced the GWR livery 15xx, no 1500, is moving forward now in production! (Since before it was just an expression of interest)

Have narrowed my probable choice to 1507. A Transfer to OOC in late '62 IIRC and withdrawn 12 '63 so a possible one for the 'Exeter tests' early '63. Just can't resist!

P

• Like 4

On 18/08/2022 at 20:04, Mallard60022 said:

I can confirm that one was allocated to Salcombe, to assist in the construction of the extension from Kingsbridge to Salcombe, and then kept at Salcombe New Docks for various duties. Which (may or may not have) included the occasional visit to Brent with a mixed consist of fresh fish, Kingsbridge Triple-Fried Chips and Salcombe Ice Cream, for onward shipment.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I can confirm that one was allocated to Salcombe, to assist in the construction of the extension from Kingsbridge to Salcombe, and then kept at Salcombe New Docks for various duties. Which (may or may not have) included the occasional visit to Brent with a mixed consist of fresh fish, Kingsbridge Triple-Fried Chips and Salcombe Ice Cream, for onward shipment.

I've seen evidence of that on Farce Blook. Karen's Photo Collection.

Yo.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Although the 15xx class never set foot near Brent to my knowledge, three of the class were seen near the home of this thread. Here we see 1502 in maroon courtesy of Michael Mears.

1502.jpg.bb9c21a6a120679d849435d03faca3b9.jpg

Do you know which Pit/Plant  that was Rob?

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Do you know which Pit/Plant  that was Rob?

Keresley pit, Coventry. I see Modelu have some new figures in their range of some picket line strikers. I could recreate the miners strike of '84 too.🤣

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

14 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Keresley pit, Coventry. I see Modelu have some new figures in their range of some picket line strikers. I could recreate the miners strike of '84 too.🤣

I remember Keresley well, as I had relatives living there and in neighbouring Holbrooks, Penny Park Lane if memory serves me right.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

You'll need a kilo or so of model PCs on overtime to go with them.😉

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

You'll need a kilo or so of model PCs on overtime to go with them.😉

That was about the last time the police did any visible work. Too busy dealing with internet bickering nowadays.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Like so many other areas, I doubt there is any sign of that Pit or even a Plaque to mention what was once there.

P

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Or the dock workers?

image.png.c85ac01192986accce72ac2f7dd2499b.png

Apart from one, they look very much like those that go to Model Railway Shows in the Winter months. The one second right is checking his Tickets. Third right... better not say anything.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
Add some words.
  • Like 2
  • Funny 6