A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I think you will find they are Mr Bulleid's locomotives named after places in Bandit Country.

I have been to 21C156 but never again.

Ah!

Not GWR therefore of zero significance / meaning down here, and I suspect, so it shall remain.

Nice photos all the same; as a friend of mine once said "does it add anything to your appreciation if you knew where/ what it was anyway?" He had a point.

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Finally people talking sense on this thread 😉. To aid further sensible discussion, and to educate those in denial, here's a translation service provided by the Bulleid Society: https://www.bulleidsociety.org/OVS_Bulleid/OVSB_Light_Pacifics.html

rps20220923_064530.jpg.284567c5925c82c364a3410bb7f8e59f.jpg

Don't forget the later locos that never received 21C numbers...

rps20220923_064755.jpg.20f8aa7097dc5148183a87a84ac02cb7.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Round of applause 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

All gone a bit 21C114 if you ask me......

Edited by NHY 581
Tripe
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

After the big reveal I must confess that I have to eat the thinnest slice of humble pie.

My mythical GWR branch line to Upper Hembury allowed LSWR / SR to build and operate a minor ancillary service up from 21C110 Jct. / 21C134 so I guess I should understand a little of this stuff!  Only locos sporting SR Olive green which I'm going to see will be an Adams O2 and possibly the rarest of Terriers.

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Never been to 21C136 although i have been past it (on a ship)

Have not been to 21C105 but have  been through it on a train to 21C108. (please calm down Mr Spams)

Never been to 21C146 but have n been through it on a train - see above

Never been to 21C144  but have been past it (on a ship)

Never been to 21C119 or past it in or on anything

On a ship I have been to 21C129 and to the immediate vicinity of 21C128 for most of a day

You'd have gone through 21C146 en route to 21C117, of course.

Your journey to 21C108 would also have taken you through 21C132.

I passed through 21C119 on a special train headed for 21C131, just before final closure.

John

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, gwrrob said:

It was nice to visit 21C139 , the first time since the floods of 2004. Of course nearby we have Castle classes 5011 and 5000 to redress the balance.

Talking of 'Castles' and getting back to far saner territory on my recent weekend visit to the far west (i.e. some way to the west of Porthmellyn Road's real life equivalent) I had the pleasure of travelling between a pair of them plus seeing several more.

And of course I also passed through Brent (twice reasonably obviously) which is but a mere shadow of its former self alas.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

53 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Talking of 'Castles' and getting back to far saner territory on my recent weekend visit to the far west (i.e. some way to the west of Porthmellyn Road's real life equivalent) I had the pleasure of travelling between a pair of them plus seeing several more.

And of course I also passed through Brent (twice reasonably obviously) which is but a mere shadow of its former self alas.

The last time I did that was in 2004.

Mind you, the pair then were numbered 5029 & 5051.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Finally people talking sense on this thread 😉. To aid further sensible discussion, and to educate those in denial, here's a translation service provided by the Bulleid Society: https://www.bulleidsociety.org/OVS_Bulleid/OVSB_Light_Pacifics.html

rps20220923_064530.jpg.284567c5925c82c364a3410bb7f8e59f.jpg

Don't forget the later locos that never received 21C numbers...

rps20220923_064755.jpg.20f8aa7097dc5148183a87a84ac02cb7.jpg

They were also 'fat' bas###ds.

P

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

You are all bonkers. 😉

And your point is? I spent 4 years in 21C156, '69-73, as Area 4 Controller (London Bridge to Coulsdon North and Warnham, and branches), and lived there for the following 12 months. It was then seen as London's most forward-looking Borough, with high-rise buildings popping up everywhere. It has not looked back, and I suspect I'd get lost there now. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

And your point is? I spent 4 years in 21C156, '69-73, as Area 4 Controller (London Bridge to Coulsdon North and Warnham, and branches), and lived there for the following 12 months. It was then seen as London's most forward-looking Borough, with high-rise buildings popping up everywhere. It has not looked back, and I suspect I'd get lost there now. 

Asymmetric 3 Way. Kaboom Tish.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I've also been to 21C156, all I can say is, don't.

Useful if changing trains, and in a former role for visiting my boss.  Other than that, I cannot disagree.

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Useful if changing trains, and in a former role for visiting my boss.  Other than that, I cannot disagree.

Paul.

One of my friends went down to 21C156  with his long time girlfriend as they had both been offered a fantastic job opportunity.

Their relationship crashed and burned shortly thereafter...

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

We drove past Brent in the motorhome at the start of our extended July / August trip to the UK. 

We were heading for Dunster and the Caravan club site there…. Took a wrong turn and ended up driving across Exmoor, which is not to be recommended! Although we were on the lorry route, it was still a bit tight!

10 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I'm back home now so a normal service will be resumed.

Thank goodness Robin…. There’s been a lot of talk of 21C blah blah and it’s been hard to follow 🤣🤣

Do you have a nice Castle class loco to underline the essence of the proper railway 😎😎

Thanks, Neal.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

This has resembled a load of 65 I.

21C156 is truly horrible, except for the Fairfield Halls and the Trams.

Presumably I will now be sent to 2D.

Have a good y'all.

P

A song by the toilet cleaner at Fairfield Halls.

• Thanks 1