A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if anyone could be kind enough to advise me on how to 'update' a Baccy Hall, 4930?  Dear Geoff B, RIP, was kind enough to leave me a DCC Ready Chassis and Tender (early Crest) and I have just got a Baccy Body, which is a little weird. It seems to be BR lined, but has no front plate and has the Number on the Buffer Beam!

The little V Shaped Speedo (?) fitting on the Driver's side appears to have been lost or broken off? Should that be there in 1960?

4930 Hagley Hall was a Taunton Engine in 1960 so will be ideal for me for diverted stuff through SJ.

I can do some investigation but have no specific Book 'of the Halls'. What might I need to enhance this Baccy body and maybe even the Tender. I suspect it would not have been totally filthy in 1960/61 but I will weather it.

Any ideas will be gratefully received; by PM if necessary so as not to take up ANTB space, however it is a relevant to ANTB Engine so info might also be useful to others?

Many thanks,

Phil

image.png.8b69451b7d7d4ae0029ba0f626c3a60c.png

This version!

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Well here's my 10000 post on my humble thread. I was struggling to think what loco to use for it but in the end I chose 3005 as she's a work stained warhorse, a bit like me in some respects. Anyway she's pulling the coal train that originated somewhere in Wales and is heading west.

Inspired by the scenic work on other threads I visit, the strip of land to the left of the signal box is being revamped. Static grass [WWS] and MBR products will be used here. Although it backs on to the fiddle yard I want a nice scenic backdrop to the new goodies coming soon.

DSCN8756.JPG.87318e386324bb0d16833d0ca9b8bcf3.JPG

DSCN8757.JPG.1826f1ffd3872ec200ae61ee5e9e1567.JPG

DSCN8758.JPG.506473592fa253384ba800f8636049c3.JPG

DSCN8759.JPG.672cae78cad70f0dc4610d3527936d99.JPG

DSCN8760.JPG.f87efcc1af53cc0c377311ecb3815887.JPG

May have mentioned this before, but in late 1958 or in early 1959 I saw a ROD at Mutley, L.E.  heading for PNR. It was the only time I knowingly saw one working. I didn't see it return east and it was Boiler First to PNR. Somewhere I have the number! I have no idea which one it was and what it was doing. I seem to remember trying to investigate this many years ago and there was on still alive in early '59, but to be withdrawn shortly afterwards.

Why am I mumbling about this? Well, this little milestone in ANTBs Thread Life reminds me of those happy times.

Thanks Rob.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for your regular entertaining posts Rob. 10k is a huge output ! Thanks to you showcasing deserving new products in your railway theatre I am much poorer but happy!  It’s much more persuasive than advertisements.

• Like 3
  • Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I wonder if anyone could be kind enough to advise me on how to 'update' a Baccy Hall, 4930?  Dear Geoff B, RIP, was kind enough to leave me a DCC Ready Chassis and Tender (early Crest) and I have just got a Baccy Body, which is a little weird. It seems to be BR lined, but has no front plate and has the Number on the Buffer Beam!

The little V Shaped Speedo (?) fitting on the Driver's side appears to have been lost or broken off? Should that be there in 1960?

4930 Hagley Hall was a Taunton Engine in 1960 so will be ideal for me for diverted stuff through SJ.

I can do some investigation but have no specific Book 'of the Halls'. What might I need to enhance this Baccy body and maybe even the Tender. I suspect it would not have been totally filthy in 1960/61 but I will weather it.

Any ideas will be gratefully received; by PM if necessary so as not to take up ANTB space, however it is a relevant to ANTB Engine so info might also be useful to others?

Many thanks,

Phil

image.png.8b69451b7d7d4ae0029ba0f626c3a60c.png

This version!

I'll reply here if Rob will excuse the intrusion because this model is representative of a common problem for those seeking to 'adjust' the time frame of a model.  The problem is that the livery state of 4930 model seen above is as preserved when it was painted in a version of GWR livery and the model seems to portray its livery condition pretty accurately.

So it's wrong for BR days.  Some of the changes are simple provided you can match the colour of the green paint -

1. The firebox should not be lined,

2. The boiler lining and splasher lining is ok

3. The hanging bar (aka valance), below the running plate, and footsteps should not be lined at all.

5.  The only lining on the tender will be the panel on the side, nothing below that level.

Now the more awkward ones -

6.  The cylinders should be lined with two vertical pairs of orange lines over the full depth of the cylinder cover - no panel.

And, the most difficult change of the lot,

7. The  cab should only be lined as a single panel below cab widow level with no lining going any higher than that up the cab side.

Depending on date overhead warning labels might be required.  Some b& w photos of 4930 can be found here -

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p413695055/hA00BAC5#ha00bac5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

Actually it's Tamiya German Grey, Khaki Drab & NATO Black - over a loco resprayed rubber Black - but that's classified stuff, 

So it was a case of making a ROD for your own black then.🤣

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/09/2022 at 13:49, The Stationmaster said:

I'll reply here if Rob will excuse the intrusion because this model is representative of a common problem for those seeking to 'adjust' the time frame of a model.  The problem is that the livery state of 4930 model seen above is as preserved when it was painted in a version of GWR livery and the model seems to portray its livery condition pretty accurately.

So it's wrong for BR days.  Some of the changes are simple provided you can match the colour of the green paint -

1. The firebox should not be lined,

2. The boiler lining and splasher lining is ok

3. The hanging bar (aka valance), below the running plate, and footsteps should not be lined at all.

5.  The only lining on the tender will be the panel on the side, nothing below that level.

Now the more awkward ones -

6.  The cylinders should be lined with two vertical pairs of orange lines over the full depth of the cylinder cover - no panel.

And, the most difficult change of the lot,

7. The  cab should only be lined as a single panel below cab widow level with no lining going any higher than that up the cab side.

Depending on date overhead warning labels might be required.  Some b& w photos of 4930 can be found here -

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p413695055/hA00BAC5#ha00bac5

Thanks Mike, very helpful and by the way I wasn't having a poke at you on the Accurascale Manors thread from which I have been blocked!!!!!!!

I shall cover 4930 in filth then, despite it being 1961! CBA to do a proper job AND it will only appear once in a lifetime if ever the way I'm going.

ATB

Phil

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4