A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

Looks like a nice, realistic transition to the backscene.

Thanks @Nick Gough although made easier by the use of quality scenic products and a world away from the use of dyed sawdust from the 1990's.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

That was one of the things that really struck me when I got back into the hobby last year, having last "played trains" in the mid-70s.  Back then I seem to remember lichen being the state of the art as far as scenery was concerned!

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

39 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I asked @KNP on Little Muddle about white flowers and it was suggested using white paint on the tips of static grass. Here are my results using WWS 6mm autumn grass , Noch medium green leaves and acrylic paint. I used an old metal lid to make removing them easier although WWS do sell sheets especially for creating tufts on.

DSCN8772.JPG.4c55963d65a3a092bcbe3efa36cb3a18.JPG

DSCN8773.JPG.7b6ff66086c4e8013068fb9f2fe22aa1.JPG

I replied on my thread.

The effect is showing what can be done and the effects you can get.

One question, did you hold the brush flat, or on its side horizontally so it can be dragged across the tops?

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, KNP said:

I replied on my thread.

The effect is showing what can be done and the effects you can get.

One question, did you hold the brush flat, or on its side horizontally so it can be dragged across the tops?

Both.😉 The white should be more muted when in situ.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I asked @KNP on Little Muddle about white flowers and it was suggested using white paint on the tips of static grass. Here are my results using WWS 6mm autumn grass , Noch medium green leaves and acrylic paint. I used an old metal lid to make removing them easier although WWS do sell sheets especially for creating tufts on.

DSCN8772.JPG.4c55963d65a3a092bcbe3efa36cb3a18.JPG

DSCN8773.JPG.7b6ff66086c4e8013068fb9f2fe22aa1.JPG

For something with larger flowers I came up with a couple of different options.

1) take a crayola of the appropriate shade, there are very many these days. Place in freezer until hard then grate with a micro-plane or coarse file to get the size you require. I find this very effective. Here my attempts at forsythia and lilac bushes.

1448686995_FlowerDemo2.jpg.f57dde143d280f5f02485e56cae52d6d.jpg

2) Specifically for white but could be tinted I guess. I sedimentd some pigment out of old white paint. Dilute paint with water and add alum. let pigment settle, decant and dry.

The lump TiO2 can be ground down as fine as you wish.

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

That looks very nice Robin.... but of course for the Thames Valley, the forthcoming Mainline & City stock will be better suited for Henley-on-Thames.

I had a rake of 6 on order with Hattons which I cancelled ages ago.... they would still be very nice though.... But I can't really see my Regatta crowds getting used to ancient 4 and 6 wheel stock 🤣.

Whereas, some nice Toplights behind a Saint; Star or Castle, or the M & C stock behind a 61xx (Metro tank would be better) 😎

• Like 9

It does seem a good justification for rule 1 working though, as specials and extra trains often turn up surprisingly upmarket stock as well as whatever old junk that still has wheels under it and the Great Western were no exception.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I think I'll give it a run behind my milk tanks, with a Hall on the front. It might look half decent.😉

I run an old V5 PBV behind three low siphons as a milk train, I think that it at least looks the part.

• Like 4