A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

I didn't realise that the 57xx class didn't have topfeeds originally.  When did these come in?  Most of the preserved examples had them so I assumed they had them.   I have 8700 in shirtbutton livery.  Would that one need it removing?

For GWR period yes. 8700 is an odd one as the first 8700 was rebuilt as the prototype condenser 9700. The second/replacement 8700 was not built until 1934 so should have entered service with the shirt button logo. Topfeeds did not appear until the 1940's with a few fitted during the war but mass fitting not until the late 1940's onwards. Even so, many panniers lasted until 1960's scrapping without ever being fitted.The 'GREAT WESTERN' decorated engines supplied by the trade with topfeed never existed.

Must say that 2721 does look good...

Can you tell us how you did the cab?

The rear spectacle plate is cut from plasticard using the plans in Russell 'Great Western engines' as a guide. I added tool boxes, brake handle 'cupboard' etc, again cut from plastic sheet. I first made the roof out of plasticard, but I had difficulty with the turned up gutter edges and replaced it with one made from a tin of tomatoes, cut out with kitchen scissors (do not tell my good lady) which had the benefit of the curve being partly formed. The shutter again from plastic sheet/microstrip and attached to the roof with superglue.  I filled in the gab of the side sheet with off cut of plasticard.

To make the chassis fit, the inside of the running plate/tanks needs cutting away (I used the rotary sanding attachment on my copycat Dremmel) until the chassis would push fit in. This has the added advantage of the enclosed under tank area being sanded away and daylight can then be seen under the boiler.

I went for the full cab , initially, as the Bachmann mech cuts into the backhead, and secondly, to stop it looking like a Hornby. Took a couple of evenings - cheap and cheerful conversion.

Mike Wiltshire

Forgot to say, I added window frames from the Mainly Trains etch.

http://www.mainlytrains.co.uk/acatalog/exp_mt226.htm

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I've actually gone and ordered a Hattons/DJ Models 14XX. That can only be a good sign, I hope.

Which one?

To top feed or not to top feed?

• RMweb Gold

Something I didn't order turned up this morning and it would be rude not to shew it behind some suitable motive power in the shape of N class 1848.

attachicon.gifDSCN7601.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN7602.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN7603.jpg

Nice model of the SR Pillbox brake van by Bachmann.

Any chance of a close up Robin?

1848 is a lovely model by the way?

Edited by 46444

For GWR period yes. 8700 is an odd one as the first 8700 was rebuilt as the prototype condenser 9700. The second/replacement 8700 was not built until 1934 so should have entered service with the shirt button logo. Topfeeds did not appear until the 1940's with a few fitted during the war but mass fitting not until the late 1940's onwards. Even so, many panniers lasted until 1960's scrapping without ever being fitted.The 'GREAT WESTERN' decorated engines supplied by the trade with topfeed never existed.

The rear spectacle plate is cut from plasticard using the plans in Russell 'Great Western engines' as a guide. I added tool boxes, brake handle 'cupboard' etc, again cut from plastic sheet. I first made the roof out of plasticard, but I had difficulty with the turned up gutter edges and replaced it with one made from a tin of tomatoes, cut out with kitchen scissors (do not tell my good lady) which had the benefit of the curve being partly formed. The shutter again from plastic sheet/microstrip and attached to the roof with superglue.  I filled in the gab of the side sheet with off cut of plasticard.

To make the chassis fit, the inside of the running plate/tanks needs cutting away (I used the rotary sanding attachment on my copycat Dremmel) until the chassis would push fit in. This has the added advantage of the enclosed under tank area being sanded away and daylight can then be seen under the boiler.

I went for the full cab , initially, as the Bachmann mech cuts into the backhead, and secondly, to stop it looking like a Hornby. Took a couple of evenings - cheap and cheerful conversion.

Mike Wiltshire

Forgot to say, I added window frames from the Mainly Trains etch.

http://www.mainlytrains.co.uk/acatalog/exp_mt226.htm

Rats!, so my '1930s' Panniers are nothing of the sort without resorting to butchery (or modelling, some would say).

You'll be telling me Hornby's 34001 Exeter didn't have AWS before rebuilding either, I suppose? ... what do you mean, it didn't!, really?!, that's it, I give up!

Glenn

• RMweb Gold

1450 in pristine lined BR green.

I have some daft fancy of doing another OO layout in due course, goodness knows when that will be.

Not a million miles away from The Moguls Palace restaurant CK

post-126-0-58598100-1452363461.jpeg

• Like 13

GWR in 1958, although it does have a smoke box plate!

Brian.

If my memory serves me correctly, three 58XXs (non auto fitted version of the 48XX/14XX) lasted until scrapping in the late 50's still wearing the final GWR livery. They received smokebox number plates but were never repainted. 

• RMweb Premium

Many moons ago I put a Bachmann pannier chassis under a Lima 94xx body. The improvement was remarkable.

Here is the model in question.

post-21039-0-02908800-1452412192_thumb.jpg

Apart from vac pipes and a repaint/renumber, the Lima body is untouched.

• Like 11