A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

indeed that was my thought, it's just for me this is the sort of thing that puts one off spending >100£ on a loco that would be incredibly unlikely to be seen at your location.

Now if Kernow have done unpainted samples, or painted prototypes for sale at the SWAG day. That might be an altogether different question...

Not quite true Rich . There's a very nice photo ( 44) of 1363 taking water at Brent in August '64.This is in the Middleton Press book Newton to Plymouth.

• RMweb Gold

It's obvious to me that the recess is for a tablet catcher thus widening the appeal of the model to the S&D, Scottish lines and the odd railway in the Midlands. Very clever.

You're still with us then....

• RMweb Gold

Not quite true Rich . There's a very nice photo ( 44) of 1363 taking water at Brent in August '64.This is in the Middleton Press book Newton to Plymouth.

I should have remembered that one, still no good for 47 though. Unless one had to go to Newton Abbot works for attention.....

• RMweb Gold

I should have remembered that one, still no good for 47 though. Unless one had to go to Newton Abbot works for attention.....

Rich, your determined but ultimately doomed attempts to persuade us that you don't want one of these engines are touching but I think that you should get in touch with your inner 1361, matey!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Doesn't matter which works they went to - they'd have to pass Brent to get to it (unless they went via the Lost & Slightly Wonky Railway route)

That Class was too heavy for that route!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd have loved to have seen that roaring (?) up Hemerdon or Dainton. Great fun.

Philth

• RMweb Gold

Doesn't matter which works they went to - they'd have to pass Brent to get to it (unless they went via the Lost & Slightly Wonky Railway route)

How would this take place, light engine or dead in tow behind a service working (less rods maybe?)

Must resist...

• RMweb Gold

That Class was too heavy for that route!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd have loved to have seen that roaring (?) up Hemerdon or Dainton. Great fun.

Philth

Yes with a Bachmann shunter's truck in tow.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifSeven_of_Nine-rmweb.jpg

Resistance is futile.

Silly boy...

Proper job Star Trek character; excellent Necelles. :nono:

Went to see the latest S.T. feature Film  a few weeks back and left at the interval as it was so loud and very silly indeed. Superb CGI but WTF was going on I could not tell.  

O.L.D. Fart Esq.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Proper job Star Trek character; excellent Necelles. :nono:

Went to see the latest S.T. feature Film  a few weeks back and left at the interval as it was so loud and very silly indeed. Superb CGI but WTF was going on I could not tell.  

O.L.D. Fart Esq.

My last trip to the cinema was to a Star Trek movie, at Deb's behest as it was her birthday. That would be about 2001. Noisy indeed. 

• RMweb Gold

Either - if only going to Newton it would probably be in steam to avoid the bother of taking the rods off.

Thanks

so practically anything based west of Newton Abbot would at some stage pass through Brent on its way to NA or Swindon works for major work,

Must resist adding more oddities....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks

so practically anything based west of Newton Abbot would at some stage pass through Brent on its way to NA or Swindon works for major work,

Must resist adding more oddities....

Just think of the possibilities if you modelled Exeter St David's. Everything from both the Southern and GWR lines passed through there...

I believe that, at least in the Thirties, the Plymouth based examples did travel to Newton for attention, but, as Mike points out, they'd have to go the same way to get to Swindon!    

I have an excuse for one, but a light engine movement is a low priority optional extra at the moment.  If it were higher up my priorities, I would have checked to see which class members received attention during 1935 and where. Query whether they would have worked light in the company of a Toad?

• RMweb Premium

Just think of the possibilities if you modelled Exeter St David's. Everything from both the Southern and GWR lines passed through there...

Not quite...........post-2326-0-70565800-1478165225.jpg  :sarcastichand:

E.M. B.Ogacartus

and.......post-2326-0-40958900-1478165385.jpg

A.B. Erystwyth.

and ........post-2326-0-96032000-1478165508.jpg

Monsewre Flesh Door.

and.........post-2326-0-54215100-1478165591.jpg

A . Kipper Esq

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I believe that, at least in the Thirties, the Plymouth based examples did travel to Newton for attention, but, as Mike points out, they'd have to go the same way to get to Swindon!

I have an excuse for one, but a light engine movement is a low priority optional extra at the moment. If it were higher up my priorities, I would have checked to see which class members received attention during 1935 and where. Query whether they would have worked light in the company of a Toad?

What sources are you using to check when locos received attention?

While movements like this should be low priority for modelling, with releases like this I'd prefer to buy whole available....

What sources are you using to check when locos received attention?

While movements like this should be low priority for modelling, with releases like this I'd prefer to buy whole available....

I have the register for loco allocations for 1935.  It includes details for where they are each month, when last overhauled etc, so, if I see that a Plymouth loco is recorded at Newton Factory, for instance, that probably means it is there receiving attention.

There may well be a similar document for 1947 at Kew. 

Two examples from 1935 serve to illustrate the sort of information to expect:

No. 1362, allocated to Plymouth. 

Last General overhaul June 1929, last Intermediate overhaul, August 1932.  She is logged at Plymouth or Laira throughout 1935 until, by 27 July she has reached Swindon and is marked "Wt. Sw".  I take this to mean "waiting" at Swindon, as these entries are generally followed by Swindon Works.  Unusually, she never makes it to Swindon Works, or is not there for long, because by 24 August she is at Newton Factory.  By the next month, she is back at Plymouth. 

For me, concentrating on early July 1935, I can justify running her along the mainline en route to Swindon.

No. 1364, allocated to Newton.

Last General overhaul August 1931.  She is logged at Newton throughout 1935 until moving to "Wt. Sw." by 24 August, from there she moves to Swindon Works.

Though closer to the section of line I am interested in (Totnes-Brent), I can think of no particular reason why she would work west of Newton on the mainline, so I would say my best bet is to depict 1362 travelling east from Plymouth to Swindon, sometime in July 1935. 

As No. 1362 was last overhauled in 1932, I can be fairly confident that she went east to Swindon in July 1935 wearing "GREAT WESTERN" on her tanks (assuming that style is correct for this class - I have often seen it on models).  I believe that Kernow and Heljan are both doing shirtbutton and "GWR" only, but could be wrong.

As this means only a single journey of a light locomotive across the layout, you can see how, at £124 or £135, it would be a somewhat indulgent addition to the planned train movements!

Rule No.1 would allow a Newton-based 1361 to come and play at Brent, but, for my part, I am trying to research and build up prototypical formations for a given section of the line, and in the absence of a plausible reason why the class would be in traffic through this section, I think the only excuse is to have one en route to the works. If I had a further layout I could use this particular loco on, that might be different!

• RMweb Premium

No. 1362, allocated to Plymouth. 

Last General overhaul June 1929, last Intermediate overhaul, August 1932.  She is logged at Plymouth or Laira throughout 1935 until, by 27 July she has reached Swindon and is marked "Wt. Sw".  I take this to mean "waiting" at Swindon, as these entries are generally followed by Swindon Works.  Unusually, she never makes it to Swindon Works, or is not there for long, because by 24 August she is at Newton Factory.  By the next month, she is back at Plymouth. 

For me, concentrating on early July 1935, I can justify running her along the mainline en route to Swindon.

As No. 1362 was last overhauled in 1932, I can be fairly confident that she went east to Swindon in July 1935 wearing "GREAT WESTERN" on her tanks (assuming that style is correct for this class - I have often seen it on models).  I believe that Kernow and Heljan are both doing shirtbutton and "GWR" only, but could be wrong.

As this means only a single journey of a light locomotive across the layout, you can see how, at £124 or £135, it would be a somewhat indulgent addition to the planned train movements!

Rule No.1 would allow a Newton-based 1361 to come and play at Brent, but, for my part, I am trying to research and build up prototypical formations for a given section of the line, and in the absence of a plausible reason why the class would be in traffic through this section, I think the only excuse is to have one en route to the works. If I had a further layout I could use this particular loco on, that might be different!

This is not a joke (for once). Maybe, as you are obviously far more disciplined (do not mention Grayson) than I*,  you could lease/borrow  the one you have identified just for the pleasure of seeing it on your layout? I'm sure some kind soul will let you do this (can't include me as I am neither kind or the prospective owner of said loco). 

........*proud owner of a USA tank that would have passed through Seaton Junction probably just the once in December 1962.

Resistance was futile. post-2326-0-52214700-1478174019.jpg

Phil

• Like 2

This is not a joke (for once). Maybe, as you are obviously far more disciplined (do not mention Grayson) than I*,  you could lease/borrow  the one you have identified just for the pleasure of seeing it on your layout? I'm sure some kind soul will let you do this (can't include me as I am neither kind or the prospective owner of said loco). 

........*proud owner of a USA tank that would have passed through Seaton Junction probably just the once in December 1962.

Resistance was futile. attachicon.gifdownload (6).jpg

Phil

Sensible choices for a Happier Britain!

Yes, indeed, though I lack the real estate necessary for Totnes, or, indeed, Brent, at present.  This is my - as I believe they are politely called "Layout of a Lifetime" - bonkers project to reproduce a full 24-hour mainline timetable using prototypical formations.  Unless I want the lead wheels of my engines to reach the Dart bridge before the last coach has cleared Dainton tunnel, this is going to need space.  It is also going to need a lot of stock. About 125 coaches (and until the Hornby Colletts, there was nothing suitable RTR) and about 80 locos.  I think I managed to get about half way before the money ran out.

In addition, there can be a number of Specials  - such as an excursion (for which I would stretch things a bit to send one of the brand new Excursion Stock sets to the West, mainly so it doesn't look like all the other trains!) and an Ocean Special.  There are a number of other possibilities, but, you will see, there is quite a lot to get through before I feel I can justify £124-£135 just to add 1362 trundling across the scene!

Of course, if the layout ever comes into existence, I'll run anything and everything on it (when no-one's looking)!    

• Like 1