A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

That loco makes plenty of flange squeal on the line if the track is dry, I spied a dining train are you going on it.

Enjoy your day.

Like the photo's Mike did you have special access to the track at Staverton.

It was on an IRSE technical visit Bob - we did the Paignton and Dartmouth on the Saturday and the South Devon Railway on the Sunday with full access to all the signalling stuff on both (in fact we also had our own special train on both lines as well).

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

This sort of thing then Colin - (they will enlarge if you click on the pic)

attachicon.gifIMGP6897crrd.jpg

attachicon.gifIMGP6912.jpg

attachicon.gifIMGP6981.jpg

attachicon.gifIMGP6983.jpg

attachicon.gifIMGP7016.jpg

attachicon.gifIMGP7044.jpg

attachicon.gifIMGP7045.jpg

Thanks very much Mike! I'm thinking beheaded pins with a little dab of filler to represent the rollers. Should do the trick with normal viewing distance. How far apart do you reckon?

I've said many times before that I like good looking trains . Here's one, the down Cornish Riviera Limited. This service was reinstated in '47 after being suspended during the war.

Are you sure about that? My data is somewhat different. The Riviera was the only named train to continue throughout the war. It was slowed down, with a short period via Bristol but had to combine the duties of the un-named Torbay Express (reinstated in 1941). 7 coaches for Plymouth and 5 for Kingswear - no slips.

In addition in 1942 the stock for the Riviera was given government approval to be painted in full GWR livery, which, at the time, was attributed to the large number of high ranking officials/military travelling to Dartmouth and Plymouth. Postwar in May 1946 the Limited was accelerated to 4 1/2 hours to Plymouth.

The only suspension of the Riviera I am aware of was from 20/3/47 until 16/6/47 due to fuel shortages.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

I'll look it up in the morning Colin - can't remember offhand.

The 1920s figure was 30 feet but in some situations they will be closer.  There are still some in one of the platform walls at Swindon and I thought I had a pic of them but haven't however as they're in brick it would be easy to get an accurate dimension should anyone happen to be passing through (slowly).

• RMweb Gold

Are you sure about that? My data is somewhat different. The Riviera was the only named train to continue throughout the war. It was slowed down, with a short period via Bristol but had to combine the duties of the un-named Torbay Express (reinstated in 1941). 7 coaches for Plymouth and 5 for Kingswear - no slips.

In addition in 1942 the stock for the Riviera was given government approval to be painted in full GWR livery, which, at the time, was attributed to the large number of high ranking officials/military travelling to Dartmouth and Plymouth. Postwar in May 1946 the Limited was accelerated to 4 1/2 hours to Plymouth.

The only suspension of the Riviera I am aware of was from 20/3/47 until 16/6/47 due to fuel shortages.

Mike Wiltshire

Sorry Mike I had a brain fade and was talking my usual ######.You are correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_Riviera_Express

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/34455-gwr-post-1942-cornish-riviera-stock/

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Rob,

I appreciate the lamps are on for the photos, but how well do they stay on whilst the loco is actually moving ?

Stu

Very good,as they are a tightish fit there's no movement during use and because I haven't glued them I move them around to suit different trains.The Springside ones are attached permeantly but these Modelu versions give flexibilty in use.

Edited by gwrrob

I wonder how easy it would be to add an LED?

Well you wouldn't be able to take them off and on and there is a further issue.

The resin is not opaque enough to prevent light coming out by itself so you would need to provide a reflective coating, preferably on the inside (so you don't hide the detail), silver metallic paint, as long as it's not conductive will work.

I wonder how easy it would be to add an LED?

Thanks for the feedback on the lamps, I'm always appreciate constructive criticism so I can improve them.  I'm currently experimenting with a version designed for LEDs, without a pocket for the lamp iron but a bigger recess to take an LED.  As Stephen mentioned though, the resin isn't opaque enough as is, so some extra work is required.