Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Steve Fay in another thread hinted at developments with JLTRT - fingers crossed. As for cunning plans, things are fluid but Occams Razor comes to mind - simple is best.

John

I never managed to get hold of the JLTRT tiebars. I notice from this thread that you have used them: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/132128-catch-points-or-no-catch-points/page-1&do=findComment&comment=3082602

Assuming that they were used widely on his Leamington Spa layout, they obviously work for Mr Waterman. I was always concerned about the fixed geometry of the soldered joint between the tiebar and switch rail.

From watching my turnouts operate before adding the cosmetic flexible plastic tie-bar, I couldn't help but notice how much rotation there is between the blade and the below board bar. This is why the pin on the rail fits in to a tube on the bar - to accommodate the rotation.

It all still works if you solder it up solid but will the joint eventually fail as with every point throw you're trying to bend the joint to and fro? Also, doesn't this soldered up JLTRT solution result in quite a bit of force being required to shift the blades? Have you tried shifting them with a Tortoise point motor yet?

On the first turnout I got operational I was quite surprised that the Tortoise wasn't completely happy shifting the blades until I'd tracked down and removed all the sticking points. They were not as powerful as expected even after beefing up the wire.

I was quite surprised that you were setting the JLTRT tiebars to give such large flangeways - looks like at least 4mm. I noted in that thread that you said it was to avoid flanges hitting the blades. I presume you're using standard 32mm O Gauge - this has a lot of sideways slop in the wheel / rail interface and allows stock to crab along the track. The only other reason would be the back to backs on the wheels - have you checked them?

I say I was quite surprised at the large flangeways because the minimum on the turnouts I've built is 1.5mm, slightly wider (a smidge over 2mm) at the tips as they curve out. I've tested lots of stock on the turnout and have had no problem with wheels hitting the blade. I am however using the 31.5mm 'modified fine' track standards which removes some of the slip in the wheel / rail interface and the amount by which vehicles can crab. Not having built any track before I really wasn't aware that it could make such a big difference in the flangeways at the blade tips. A very interesting comparison.

• RMweb Premium

I believe that the full sized railway specifies a minimum tip opening of 4,5" (2.63 mm in 7 mm scale). If I'm right, presumably this should be the target dimension?

Dave.

That's about what I managed to get working, although I didn't aim for a particular dimension at the tip:

post-6675-0-95988900-1520847991_thumb.jpg

I set mine by clamping one blade against the stock rail and setting the pinch point on the other at 1.5mm. Along with the fit of the blade to the rail which means having a slight curve in the blade, this determined what gap I had at the tip.

post-6675-0-63601300-1520848418_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

So SS pointed out a fixable error yesterday with the chairs on one sleeper. The bridge and ordinary chair were reversed in accordance with a mistake on the C&L drawing.

Got a day off work today as I didn't get to bed until 4am and am slightly jaded. Decided to have a look at how easy it is to remove and replace the chairs.

Suitable and unsuitable tools gathered...

post-6675-0-48864300-1520863829_thumb.jpg

Right-hand side done, made a bit tricky by the presence of dropper wires within each chair. And yes I did manage to cut one meaning it had to be resoldered.

post-6675-0-22856500-1520863986_thumb.jpg

Left side chairs dug out, only one dropper this time.

post-6675-0-89262800-1520864022_thumb.jpg

And all swapped out. No more than 20mins work, so worth doing.

post-6675-0-19434900-1520864068_thumb.jpg

Nobody spot anything else!

Still a little miffed the C&L drawing is wrong.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone have any of the 7mm Exactoscale bridge chairs kicking around they don't want? I could do with another 18 to correct the mistake above on another 5 turnouts and finish off the final turnout.

post-6675-0-24352700-1520864752_thumb.jpg

Happy to pay and for postage.

• RMweb Gold

So the light brown chairs are supposed to be on the right hand rail of each pair only ?

Meaning one (on the r/h pair) is on the outer stock rail, and one (the l/h pair) is on the inner blade rail ?

Also, in pic 2 on #6756, are you missing the inner chair ends for the r/h rail, on the two sleepers at the top of the pic ?

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Right.

Maybe it's 'cos I'm at work, listening to Mozart on my headphones (going to see Marriage of Figaro tomorrow evening, so getting prepared), but...

if this is the last picture of the completed work, why are the chairs (circled in red) fixed in the same orientation, for the different rails (stock / non-stock ) ?

post-7025-0-30947300-1520866528.png

• RMweb Premium

Right.

Maybe it's 'cos I'm at work, listening to Mozart on my headphones (going to see Marriage of Figaro tomorrow evening, so getting prepared), but...

if this is the last picture of the completed work, why are the chairs (circled in red) fixed in the same orientation, for the different rails (stock / non-stock ) ?

attachicon.gifpencarrow_track.png

Apparently because the bridge chair (the square light brown ones) go on the diverging road. I had them on the main route. Mozart will get you in the end...

• RMweb Gold

Apparently because the bridge chair (the square light brown ones) go on the diverging road. I had them on the main route. Mozart will get you in the end...

Ah, that makes sense.  (Dum, dum, dum, duuuuum)

• RMweb Premium

Ah, that makes sense.  (Dum, dum, dum, duuuuum)

As to you question about the missing bits of chair in the second photo...they are missing. The ones on the other side were only placed there. I can fit them once the blades have finally been fitted and don't need to be removed again.

• RMweb Premium

I have a porcelain tile floor and that eats parts too. When I moved upstairs and emptied the old room there were bits that never came to light.

Point work is looking good.

Not really taken much notice of track and turnouts before, it's quite interesting when you start looking in to it.

Just starting to look into facing point locks (think I need 2) and fouling bars...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So SS pointed out a fixable error yesterday with the chairs on one sleeper. The bridge and ordinary chair were reversed in accordance with a mistake on the C&L drawing.

Got a day off work today as I didn't get to bed until 4am and am slightly jaded. Decided to have a look at how easy it is to remove and replace the chairs.

Suitable and unsuitable tools gathered...

attachicon.gifrps20180312_140025.jpg

Right-hand side done, made a bit tricky by the presence of dropper wires within each chair. And yes I did manage to cut one meaning it had to be resoldered.

attachicon.gifrps20180312_140047.jpg

Left side chairs dug out, only one dropper this time.

attachicon.gifrps20180312_140113.jpg

And all swapped out. No more than 20mins work, so worth doing.

attachicon.gifrps20180312_140147.jpg

Nobody spot anything else!

Still a little miffed the C&L drawing is wrong.

I have had a good look and nothing leaps out at me, except of course it's not GW, but some people can't be helped.

• RMweb Premium

Not really taken much notice of track and turnouts before, it's quite interesting when you start looking in to it.

Just starting to look into facing point locks (think I need 2) and fouling bars...

Facing point locks are required where passenger traffic uses the turnout in the facing direction and fouling bars, if there is no track circuits. Track circuits, can be identified by a diamond plate affixed to the signal post. Generally loco release crossovers at terminus, don't have them.

• RMweb Premium

Facing point locks are required where passenger traffic uses the turnout in the facing direction and fouling bars, if there is no track circuits. Track circuits, can be identified by a diamond plate affixed to the signal post. Generally loco release crossovers at terminus, don't have them.

The two turnouts I've tarted up and made operational so far form the loco release crossover (9 in the diagram below).

post-6675-0-56009600-1520884471_thumb.jpg

I'm looking at FPL at 5 and 7.

3 and 7 form another crossover, on to and off the clay branch (freight only).

5 and the far left side of the double slip 6 form another crossover.

I do need to knock up another version of the sketch with the above two crossovers numbered as a singles.