RMweb

• RMweb Gold

Morning David,

I know the feeling... after a long time in the modelling doldrums JH, and Mark's superb modelling in general, have given me a kick to get going again. I have acquired a similar shelf now and I am shuffling bits as part of the planning process! My advice is go for it...

Thanks once again ;)

When are you starting your layout thread then? :D

Look forwrds to seeing what you've come up with.  A north eastern micro will be well received.

Cheers,

Mark

David

Just a suggestion which you've probably considered- Shelf layout, North Eastern area, small loco (and big working trains in and out) why not Simonside wagon works in the 80's. Sometime around 1982 when the last vestiges of vac fitted wagons were still being used  and MGR and other air-braked wagons were just coming into service in the NE. 03 pilot loco and Class 31 and 37 bringing in wagons on local trip workings.... go to flickr and put Simonside wagon works in and there are a few photos (especially in Acton Wells Junctions collections) or, being in Jarrow, you may have more 1st hand knowledge.......

Mark

Sorry to have hi-jacked your thread, but I'd be interested to see a NE diesel layout that put me in mind of the north east (yes I know about Easington Lane) in the same way as JH puts me in mind of the local Iron ore lines......

Disgusting of Market Harborough

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Dave,

.......Shelf layout, North Eastern area, small loco (and big working trains in and out) why not Simonside wagon works in the 80's. Sometime around 1982 when the last vestiges of vac fitted wagons were still being used  and MGR and other air-braked wagons were just coming into service in the NE. 03 pilot loco and Class 31 and 37 bringing in wagons on local trip workings.......

.........I'd be interested to see a NE diesel layout that put me in mind of the north east (yes I know about Easington Lane) in the same way as JH puts me in mind of the local Iron ore lines......

No worries whatsoever. ;) I think that 's one of the nice things about this thread. If it helps people and gets them modelling carry on!

You didn't mention Wrecrail on the 8th of June though? Think David said he might try to come over too.

Talking of which this North Eastern based layout you're planning-Will it be ready for Wrecrail? :D

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

Morning David,

Thanks once again ;)

When are you starting your layout thread then? :D

Look forwrds to seeing what you've come up with. A north eastern micro will be well received.

Cheers,

Mark

It's coming! I'm still deliberating a little and I need to wait for my next trip home to pick up the track and bits and pieces, as I'm trying to do this on the cheap I want to reuse as much as I can! ;)

David

• Like 2

David

Just a suggestion which you've probably considered- Shelf layout, North Eastern area, small loco (and big working trains in and out) why not Simonside wagon works in the 80's. Sometime around 1982 when the last vestiges of vac fitted wagons were still being used and MGR and other air-braked wagons were just coming into service in the NE. 03 pilot loco and Class 31 and 37 bringing in wagons on local trip workings.... go to flickr and put Simonside wagon works in and there are a few photos (especially in Acton Wells Junctions collections) or, being in Jarrow, you may have more 1st hand knowledge.......

Mark

Sorry to have hi-jacked your thread, but I'd be interested to see a NE diesel layout that put me in mind of the north east (yes I know about Easington Lane) in the same way as JH puts me in mind of the local Iron ore lines......

Disgusting of Market Harborough

It's funny you should mention that... I was just talking about possible ideas for a small layout with me Dad a few weeks ago and Simonside cropped up! Living in Jarrow it is only about a mile away from home and is a very interesting prototype. Sadly all that remains today is the entrance gates, overgrown with vegetation.

The photo at this link http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/actonwellsjunction/5621866423/ is the one mind... I think I could make a convincing scene, in a limited space from that one image!

As you say it would have interesting operations, a mix of wagons etc and would be different. Out comes the drawing pad again...

David

PS Mark sorry again for hijacking!!

Edited by south_tyne
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning David,

It's coming! I'm still deliberating a little and I need to wait for my next trip home to pick up the track and bits and pieces, as I'm trying to do this on the cheap I want to reuse as much as I can! ;)

David

True. Like JH was conceived as a use what you have build layout.  Sounds like some good ideas bouncing about though. :)

Dave's idea above of the wagon works does sound good though if he doesn't beat you to it! :D. Could be back dated to the 50's/60's too or run as a generic layout with the option of running green or blue diesels too.  It would give more operating scope as well. The Bachmann Class 03 is a lovely loco for shunting.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

Took a few photos this morning of JH. Still no backscene work as yet to report.

Here's Cranford/Twywell at rest over the lunch time period.  This was kind of inspired by a photograph I saw of Storefield Quarry with the locos at rest whilst the crews had their break.

post-7584-0-23604100-1370173227_thumb.jpg

One thing I have decided is that I will not be getting a BSC ex BR Class 14.  I think it wil be too big on JH.

However, more in keeping with the theme of the ironstone quarries and the pictures from the Irchester System I'm going to scratch build a Manning Wardle like Phil Parker did in Hornby Magazine using an Hornby Pug chassis.  Here's the link:

http://www.pagenumberone.co.uk/downloads/H%20Class.pdf

I'm at the moment getting bits together to start the build.  My delivery from RT Models arrived as well for the chimney etc and the castings are lovely and clean.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

I saw that Manning Wardle made with a scratchbuilt body on a Dapol Pug chassis and it was quite good. To be pedantic though, the Irchester engine wasn't a H class. It was and is (preserved at the Middleton Railway) a 14" special. But as you aren't modelling Irchester you're free to use your modeller's licence :-)

I look forward to seeing you post the build and I would't mind doing one myself sometime. One of the many plans for layouts involves a pre-grouping period colliery in 4mm with a Manning H.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening Robin,

What did you use for your yellow/straw coloured grass please Mark ?

Blimey! A week's gone by since Railex. ;)

Thanks for asking about the grass.  If you look back at the first few posts of the thread you'll see I used the infamous hanging basket liner.  Glued down, pulled up and then trimmed. Saying that hanging basket liner does vary in shade. This one I got from Homebase a few years ago.

Then I used household masking tape and laid it gently on certain areas, followed by some static 2mm Jarvis Scenics fibres of two shades. (Spring/Autumn).  I masked off the track and the surrounding area before applying some 4mm fibres of the same two shades from International Models.

Everything is held together with extra hold Co-op hairspray.

I guess you could also use one of the bleached grass fibres as well for that late summer look on top of the hanging basket liner.

Hope that helps? ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

Evening Dave,

I saw that Manning Wardle made with a scratchbuilt body on a Dapol Pug chassis and it was quite good. To be pedantic though, the Irchester engine wasn't a H class. It was and is (preserved at the Middleton Railway) a 14" special. But as you aren't modelling Irchester you're free to use your modeller's licence :-)

Thanks for the information.  I've a lot to learn about industrials. I guess it's like saying all GWR Panniers are the same (Don't answer that) when modelling Manning Wardle 0-4-0's. ;)

Modellers licence will certainly come into play with my 'H' Class build.  There are compromises all round using the Pug chassis but as long as I get an impression of a Manning Wardle 0-4-0 I'll be happy and can live with it.  I guess one day at an exhibition I will get someone who knows their stuff and catch me out ;)

The Irchester No:14 was rebuilt or at least the cab was looking at the photos from the owners site. What we're the differences by the way? There is a family similarity to the 'H' Class and Phil in his article talks about an 'F' Class.

I will use some details from No:14 like the sanding gear wire from the cab to the sandboxes and will probably add a ladder to the side of the tank too as per No:14. Ixion's 7mm 'H' Class will also be a source of reference too! All sounds like a right eclectic mix? ;)

I saw Phil's Manning Wardle on Chris Nevard's Polbrook Gurney last weekend at Railex and I was quite taken by it-hence this Pug bash!

Thanks once again Dave and please point out any wrong doing in the build when it takes place! :)

I must get up to the Middleton Railway to have a look at No:14 one day.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

A final weekend shot too of Cranford/Twywell by the water tank. Think JC must be in Devon visiting his sister ;)

post-7584-0-75057400-1370207457_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 6

What we're the differences by the way? There is a family similarity to the 'H' Class and Phil in his article talks about an 'F' Class.

I've not read the article but an F class is a completely different kettle of fish - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1161/entry-10521-a-little-bit-of-victoriana/ it's much smaller and lower powered than a H.

The H vs. the 14 inch special - Cylinders 12x18in. (H) 14x20 (14") Wheel dia. 3ft (H) 3ft. 1 1/2in. (14") Wheelbase 5ft. 4in. (H) 5ft. 6in. (14") Water tank capacity 450 gal. (H) 600 gal. (14"). Basically, it's just a larger engine all round but with a very similar outline.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave for the quick reply ;)

I've not read the article but an F class is a completely different kettle of fish - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1161/entry-10521-a-little-bit-of-victoriana/ it's much smaller and lower powered than a H.

The H vs. the 14 inch special - Cylinders 12x18in. (H) 14x20 (14") Wheel dia. 3ft (H) 3ft. 1 1/2in. (14") Wheelbase 5ft. 4in. (H) 5ft. 6in. (14") Water tank capacity 450 gal. (H) 600 gal. (14"). Basically, it's just a larger engine all round but with a very similar outline.

That certainly answers one of my questions I'd been asking myself. On the photos of No:14 the cab spectacle plates are partially obscured by the water tank. I guess that's due to the larger water capacity?

Out of interest have you seen No:14 on the Middleton Railway?

The 'F' Class was mentioned in Phil's article because he was inspired by a conversion of a Pug he's seen done previously.  Saying that he does recognise the 'H' is a more suitable prototype to model using the Pug.

I remember reading about the build of your 'F' Class which is a beautiful looking engine.  Hopefully it runs ok now and you're happy with it?

Cheers,

Mark

David

Yes, it's a good idea to model like this

Even if you only build one small layout this way

- without buying anything new, it focusses your mind....

Most of us have probably got enough bits & pieces to build several layouts each

but we seem to keep buying more & more, and then changing plans again

However, when you control the buying, and model with what you have

some of the decisions which you might have dithered about are suddenly made for you....

"Shall I add another 2 sidings? - No, I've only got 1 point left"

"How about a coaling stage? - No, there isn't space, I haven't got sufficient materials and I don't want to buy any more!"

etc etc.....

My last 2 layouts have cost a little over a hundred pounds - for both of them....

It can be done, and it's very rewarding

plus, as others have said, if it hasn't cost much, you haven't lost much...

Just to add my own pestering voice

"go on, have a go..... " ;)

Marc

• Like 2

Yes, it's a good idea to model like this

Even if you only build one small layout this way

- without buying anything new, it focusses your mind....

Most of us have probably got enough bits & pieces to build several layouts each

but we seem to keep buying more & more, and then changing plans again

Marc

I'm thinking about building a smallish 0 gauge "Inglenook" type layout with spare track I have. I guess I really ought to try handbuilt points but having two old Peco points spare is a great temptation . . .

I'm thinking about building a smallish 0 gauge "Inglenook" type layout with spare track I have. I guess I really ought to try handbuilt points but having two old Peco points spare is a great temptation . . .

Go for it alant :)

If you're not too constrained for space,

just utilise the points....

Otherwise, if you're anything like me

they'll never get used lol!

Marc

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark, 

like many, I've come to this late. This is a great scenic layout that's been nicely framed and well proportioned.  Love your track side scenic work and the use of the store as an exit point.  Great workmanship and think your photos are brilliant too.   More pics please.

Mike

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening Mike,

like many, I've come to this late. This is a great scenic layout that's been nicely framed and well proportioned.  Love your track side scenic work and the use of the store as an exit point.  Great workmanship and think your photos are brilliant too.   More pics please.

Thanks for those kind words and really appreciated coming from someone like yourself. ;) 

I've really enjoyed building JH and it has given me confidence to move on to the next project.  Hopefully it has inspired others to have a go too.

JH is appearing at the Corby and District model railway expo on Sunday the 16th at Wilbarston village hall.  This has meant I better get my skates on and sort the backscene out as well as a few other bits.

I'll post a few photos during the week on progress as well as some from the exhibition.

Thanks once again.

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening.

Nothing to report sadly as modelling was put on the back burner this week.

However, today I've been preparing JH for the Corby and District Model Railway Club show at Wilbarston tomorrow.

Here's the link:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/calendar/event/786-corby-district-mrs-wilbarston-exhibition/

Should be a good show.  If you're attending say 'Hello' and feel free talk about all things ironstone!

Just got to load the car in the morning.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Evening,

Back from the Wilbarston show organised by the Corby and District MRC.  A really enjoyable show in a nice setting. The hall was well lit and remained cool as well.  I'd just like to thank the organisers of the show for providing an enjoyable day.  The catering was first class too.

Being near to Corby had a few good conversations with ex-employees of the steel works including the surrounding quarry systems.  Good to hear a few tales.  I even met one of the engineers responsible for getting the ex BR Class 14's fit for service with BSC.

This was most enlightening. Not soon afterwards a Mr Disgusting of Market Harborough appeared in a Mr Ben style clutching an Heljan Class 14.  I do like the Class 14's-full of character and here's a shot of the loco on JH.  Does look the part! ;) Thanks Dave for acquiring the loco off another exhibitor.

post-7584-0-12258800-1371419665_thumb.jpg

Hmmmm! Although I said no-I'm very tempted. Perhaps Hatton's may reduce the prices further? Watch this space ;)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Forgot to mention that as well as acquiring the Class 14 for a photo shoot some Berry Wiggins tanks were spotted on another layout ;) .

Sadly, they were packed away so never had a chance to photograph them with the Class 14.  Visions of the Forest and a few Ben Ashworth style shots sprung to mind-perhaps another time :D

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark,

I've only just come accross this thread, and although I havent had time to read it through, I'm very impressed with the layout.

You have created a huge amount of atmosphere for such a small space.

All the best, Dave.

• RMweb Gold

You have created a huge amount of atmosphere for such a small space.

Morning Dave,

Thankyou for those kind words especially coming from a modeller like yourself and the atmosphere you've created on Bridport Town.;)

Cheers,

Mark